Question of The Week 08/02/15

Must be an interNACHI member to win.

The Awards Committee panel member posts a question in the Education and Training section, once per week at a random time on a random day.

All parts of the question must be answered in one post. You may not post more than once. The first(and only) post counts, get it right the first time.

Do not edit your posts as the Awards Committee can see that time stamp in the edited post…it just makes our sorting it out more cumbersome.

First correct answer (as judged by the question poster, and the award committee) wins. The lucky winner gets one case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books” shipped to you. Courtesy of Nick G. Your prize will be shipped to the address on file.

In areas of potential expansive or collapsible soils, what is the minimum distance for a rain gutter downspout from the foundation?

Good luck to all.

Dwellings shall have a controlled method of water disposal from roofs that will collect and discharge roof drainage to the ground surface at least 5 feet from foundation walls or to an approved drainage system.

Well, I got to find harder questions. :wink:

Congrats Kevin with the right answer.

R801.3 Roof drainage. In areas where expansive or collapsible soils are known to exist, all dwellings shall have a controlled method of water disposal from roofs that will collect and discharge roof drainage to the ground surface at least 5 feet (1524 mm) from foundation walls or to an approved drainage system.

Your books will be mailed out to you. :slight_smile:

>10 feet for expansive or collapsible soils.

(For homes that don’t have a slab-on-grade foundation and do have expansive or collapsible soils, gutters and downspouts are provided that empty to lateral piping that discharges water on sloping final grade >= 5 ft. from the foundation or to an underground catchment system not connected to the foundation drain system that discharges water >= 10 ft. from the foundation.)

This one is new to me. What is the source?

That’s different verbiage from the above, but also one that I was unfamiliar with. Thanks for posting. This version prescribes directing the water 10 feet when the lot is ungraded.

Woohoo!
Thanks to everyone for the opportunity. I love the challenge of trying to find the answers and reading the discussions. I can’t wait to get my books.

Kevin
Charleston SC

Congratulations, Kevin! :slight_smile: