Question of the Week 08/09/15

Must be an interNACHI member to win.

The Awards Committee panel member posts a question in the Education and Training section, once per week at a random time on a random day.

All parts of the question must be answered in one post. You may not post more than once. The first(and only) post counts, get it right the first time.

Do not edit your posts as the Awards Committee can see that time stamp in the edited post…it just makes our sorting it out more cumbersome.

First correct answer (as judged by the question poster, and the award committee) wins. The lucky winner gets one case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books” shipped to you. Courtesy of Nick G. Your prize will be shipped to the address on file.

This is a two part answer.

What is the minimum bearing for wood beams or joist on wood & steel beams?
and masonry or concrete?

1.5 inches and 3.5 inches

1 1/2 " for wood , and 3" for masonry

Well done John, you have just won yourself some books from Inachi.
Congratulations. :slight_smile:

From the Awards Committee

Thank you Marcel.
Every one likes the Florida books.

I always thought it was 3.5, I’ve read it in many different books and forums. Oh well, I’ll erase 3.5 from my memory. Enjoy my books John, LOL.
Here’s a quote from the great Gerry Beaumont.

If it is wood then 1 1/2 inches full width support is required, if it is supported by masonry then 3 1/2 inches full width support is required.

Regards

Gerry

“To realize our true destiny, we must be guided not by a myth from our past, but by a vision of our future.”
(Mark B Adams)

NACHI Education & Training Consultant
Commercial property Inspection Tampa, Orlando, Sarasota, Jacksonville, Ft Launderdale, Miami, Florida.
NACHI cell 484-429-5466
Home inspection Clearwater, St Petersburg, Tampa. FL. USA
NACHI02121106

From Proper End Bearing…? - InterNACHI Inspection Forum http://www.nachi.org/forum/f23/proper-end-bearing-7082/#ixzz3iLRdgnxy

It has been 3" throughout the 2000 IRC till now.:slight_smile:

R502.6 Bearing. The ends of each joist, beam or girder shall have not less than 1.5 inches (38 mm) of bearing on wood or metal and not less than 3 inches (76 mm) on masonry or concrete except where supported on a 1-inch-by-4-inch (25.4 mm by 102 mm) ribbon strip and nailed to the adjacent stud or by the use of approved joist hangers.

Thanks Nick and Marcel. Received the books today. Very nice.

You’re Welcome with the help of the other Members of the Award Committee.

I am retiring and do inspections in naples fl. soon. . have been a inspector for 14 years. always did on paper. but would like to know what software is the best to use now. thank you gary