Question of The Week 08/23/15

Must be an interNACHI member to win.

The Awards Committee panel member posts a question in the Education and Training section, once per week at a random time on a random day.

All parts of the question must be answered in one post. You may not post more than once. The first(and only) post counts, get it right the first time.

Do not edit your posts as the Awards Committee can see that time stamp in the edited post…it just makes our sorting it out more cumbersome.

First correct answer (as judged by the question poster, and the award committee) wins. The lucky winner gets one case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books” shipped to you. Courtesy of Nick G. Your prize will be shipped to the address on file.

Class I or II vapor retarders are required on the warm side of the exterior walls in zones 4,5,6,7,& 8, but where should it not be installed.
One of three correct answers will win.

Go!!!:slight_smile:

In humid climates or areas where there is extensive use of air-conditioning, if a vapor retarder is required, it should be installed on the exterior side of the wall.

In some southern climates, the vapor barrier should be omitted, while in hot and humid climates such as along the Gulf Coast and Florida, the vapor barrier should be placed on the exterior of the wall

basement walls

And we have a Canadian Winner! David Asselin.

Congratulations.

Class I or II vapor retarders are required on the warm side of the exterior walls in zones 4,5,6,7,& 8, but where should it not be installed.
One of three correct answers will win.

Ans:
R601.3 Vapor retarders. Class I or II vapor retarders are required on the interior side of frame walls in Zones 5, 6, 7, 8 and Marine 4.

Exceptions:

1. Basement walls.

2. Below grade portion of any wall.

3. Construction where moisture or its freezing will not damage the materials.

Yeeeeeha! Thanks.

David

Has any winners of this Question of the Week ever received a case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books”?

Vapor retarders not required on basement walls, portions of walls below ground or on materials that cannot be damaged by moisture or freezing.

Hi Christopher, I received it before.

David

Thanks David. I was the winner of a question on 7/17 and have yet to get anything. No big deal, just curious.

Christopher, I’m sorry you didn’t get your books. :frowning:

Let, us, the Awards Committee know. As far as we know, all awards have been sent out.

I will see about looking into it for you. Again, our apologies.