Question of the week 5/29/16

Because we are generalists I put together some general questions.

Rules:
All parts of the question must be answered in one post.
Editing your post will not be allowed.

First correct answer (as judged by the Award committee or Poster of the Question) wins.
The lucky winner will get a case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books” shipped to them at their address on file.
Make sure your Address on File with Inachi is correct.

Courtesy of Nick Gromicko.

Winners of the Question of The Week shall request their prize by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submitting their Mailing address for shipping.

Allow 2 weeks for delivery.

Here are the questions:

1. SEER rating performance, like insulation R-value, is non-linear. The effect of increasing the value yields diminishing returns. A system SEER rating of 10 doesn’t consume twice the energy of a system with a SEER rating of 20 to achieve the same amount of cooling. T/F

2. Shape/geometry and temperature have no effect on emissivity. T/F

3. Hydrostatic pressure is the pressure, exerted equally in all directions at points within a confined fluid (liquid or gas). It is the only stress possible in a fluid in movement. T/F

4. The code minimum for raised floors in occupied living spaces is expressed as a deflection ratio of L/360, assuming proper end-bearing you can have a deflection of about 9/16". T/F

Ttff

F,T,F,T

T
f
t
t

Correction

F
F
T
T

F,f T, f

t
f
t
t

F, t, f, f

1.t
2.f
3.t
4.f

Not correct yet Amigo’s…

F
t
t
t

Nice job Paul. :slight_smile:

all are false then

F
f
f
t

Les is the winner. All the statements were false.

1. False, A 10 SEER AC unit does use 50% more energy to operate than a 20 SEER AC unit.

2. False, Shape/geometry and temperature do have an effect on emissivity.

3. False, Hydrostatic pressure is the pressure, exerted equally in all directions at points within a confined fluid (liquid or gas). It is the only stress possible in a fluid at rest.

4. False, 7/16" deflection.
    Congratulations Les!**

Thank you Cevans for the thermography questions.

Good for you Les

Congrats Les, and enjoy the books.

So… the Awards Committee of this Home Inspection Association is now holding contests for it’s members, whereby to be able to win the contest, one needs to have knowledge of a specialized subject that is not taught in any Home Inspection educational course or by any Home Inspection Association.

This is BS, and I call foul!

I know Paul can respond to this as well, but he has done enough in providing us with questions that allow a variety of Home Inspectors to win.

Well, that is weird you would say that.
Paul sent me a PM with the questions to see if I could answer them, and within minutes, I sent him the right answers.

I thought that being a generalist meant that a Home Inspector has an overall knowledge of components, it’s operation, and fundamentals of, and systems that pertain to Home Inspections.

SEER values are explained in Inachi HVAC courses online.

Emissivity is also discussed on Inachi Forum here;
Thermal Imaging, Infrared Cameras & Energy Audits

Pipe pressures are discussed or brushed upon in any plumbing courses out there, whether Inachi or not.

The last one, if you don’t know how deflection works on framing members or a specific loading on a floor, you are in the wrong business.

Maybe you should move your desk closer to the front of the class Jeffrey. :mrgreen:

Ok, Cooke… your turn. I know Marcel called you or you’re trolling again!