Question of The Week for 5/21/17

Questions of the week;

Introduction and requirements:

A member of the Award Committee will post a question, at a random day/time.

A competing member may make one post per question thread to answer the question and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the question answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Winnings will be limited to no more than 6 times in a given year, the objective is to allow as many Members a chance to win as possible.
Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers will forfeit the weekly winnings.

So please refrain from participating if you have already won in the maximum for the Year.

First correct answer (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Question) wins.

The lucky winner will get a case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books” shipped to them at their address on file. Make sure your Address on File with Inachi is correct.

Courtesy of Nick Gromicko.

Winners of the Question of The Week shall request their prize by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submitting their Mailing address for shipping.

Allow 2 weeks for delivery.

Paul is still unavailable and I have some easy ones for this week.

Questions;

1. Pick up the incorrect statement from the following:

A. The retaining wall should be structurally capable to resist the applied earth pressure

B. The section of the retaining wall should be so proportioned that it may not overturn by the lateral pressure

C. The retaining wall should be safe against sliding

D. The foundation of the retaining wall should not be stressed beyond safe bearing capacity ; due to its weight and the force resulting from the earth pressure

E. to drain off water from the earth retained, weep holes are provided near the top of the retaining wall.

2. The arrangement of supporting an existing structure by providing supports underneath, is known as

A.
shoring

B.
underpinning

C.
jacking

D.
piling

3. The inclined surface of an abutment to receive the arch, is known as

A.
skew back

B.
soffit

C.
spandril

D.
haunch.

4. Loose-fill insulation material can be used to fireblock cavities around wires and pipes. T/F

Easy
d
b
c
f

too easy for you Roy? You got 2 wrong. :mrgreen:

Better luck next time. Good try. :wink:

E
B
A
F but these guys say T

E
d
a
f

E
b
a
t

And David is the Winner.

Congratulations David. You know the drill to get your books.

R. 303.3 on the insulation David.

Which answer did you accept, he wrote two.

F is the answer. Maybe…
R602.8.1 Materials. Except as provided in Section R602.8, Item 4, fireblocking shall consist of 2-inch nominal lumber, or two thicknesses of 1-inch nominal lumber with broken lap joints, or one thickness of 23/32-inch wood structural panels with joints backed by 23/32-inch wood structural panels or one thickness of 3/4-inch particleboard with joints backed by 3/4-inch particleboard, 1/2-inch gypsum board, or 1/4-inch cement-based millboard.
Batts or blankets of mineral wool or glass fiber or other approved materials installed in such a manner as to be securely retained in place shall be permitted as an acceptable fire block. Batts or blankets of mineral or glass fiber or other approved non-rigid materials shall be permitted for compliance with the 10 foot horizontal fireblocking in walls constructed using parallel rows of studs or staggered studs.
Loose-fill insulation material shall not be used as a fire block unless specifically tested in the form and manner intended for use to demonstrate its ability to remain in place and to retard the spread of fire and hot gases.

My point exactly…So technically my answer is correct. If a material did demonstrate those properties it could be used, Its in the wording.

His first answer of False. The T is referring to his article that he provided a link for.

I made an error on the reference where it should of been R 302.11.1.3
where it states that Loose-fill insulation material shall not be used as a fire block.

You’re the boss so I will respect your decision. But I believe the last part of the code you sited leaves the possibility open to use Loose-fill insulation.
unless specifically tested in the form and manner intended for use to demonstrate its ability to remain in place and to retard the spread of fire and hot gases.

Where did this R 302.11.1.3 come from.
Mine was from the ICC?
I’m not disputing you, I just want to know?

2009 IRC

Yes, can be used when specifically tested for that application.
How often do you think that would happen in the residential arena? Pretty slim. :slight_smile:

Not likely, but I am sticking to the answer being True because of the wording of the code.

Good questions Marcel, keeps everyone on their toes! :wink:

Thanks for the questions Marcel, learned something again.

Give him hell Kris!
Either it is an absolute or it ain’t.:D:cool:

Exactly! All over these threads inspectors are being told to pay attention to how things are worded.