Question of The Week 5/28/17

Questions of the week;

Introduction and requirements:

A member of the Award Committee will post a question, at a random day/time.

A competing member may make one post per question thread to answer the question and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the question answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Winnings will be limited to no more than 6 times in a given year, the objective is to allow as many Members a chance to win as possible.
Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers will forfeit the weekly winnings.

So please refrain from participating if you have already won in the maximum for the Year.

First correct answer (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Question) wins.

The lucky winner will get a case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books” shipped to them at their address on file. Make sure your Address on File with Inachi is correct.

Courtesy of Nick Gromicko.

Winners of the Question of The Week shall request their prize by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submitting their Mailing address for shipping.

Allow 2 weeks for delivery.

Some easy ones for this week.
I am starting to miss Paul’s good questions. :wink:

Questions;

1. In places where the soil is soft and has small resistance to the flow of concrete, which one of the following types of piles is used;
a. vibro pile
b. pressure pile
c. precast pile
d. pedestal pile
e. friction pile

1. The bond in which headers and stretchers are laid in alternate courses and every stretcher course is started with a three fourth brick bat, is known as ;
    a. English cross bond
    b. Dutch bond
    c. Monk bond
    d. Rat-trap bond

3. The type of pointing in which a V-shaped projection outside the wall surface is provided is called;
a. recessed pointing
b. weather pointing
c. V-pointing
d. tuck pointing

4. A single top plate used as an alternative to a double top plate shall comply with the following:
The rafters or joists shall be centered over the studs with a tolerance of not more than 1&1/2 inch. T/F

C
B
D
T
I have reservations on a few of these questions.

A
b
b
f

A
b
b
f

1-a
2-b
3-b
4-false only 1 inch (25mm)

A
b
c
f

Congratulations to this weeks winner.

Les Abstein

William Forrest missed the win by a few minutes.

And of course, Roy has reservations. :mrgreen::wink:

Try again next week.

Les, follow the directions to get your books.

Thanks

Congrats Les!
Good questions Marcel!

You’re Welcome.

lol!
:smiley:

1. In places where the soil is soft and has small resistance to the flow of concrete, which one of the following types of piles is used;

Concrete-cored sand-gravel pile, which is a combination of a pre-fabricated concrete post surrounds by a sand-gravel shell. Closest answer is C.

1. The bond in which headers and stretchers are laid in alternate courses and every stretcher course is started with a three fourth brick bat, is known as ;
    Nothing in the list, because an English cross bond stretcher course has full bricks throughout. The intermediate header courses, second brick and second to last brick in are 1/2 headers known as queen closers. You would use a 3/4 stretcher on the internal wythe of the wall so it would never be exposed and that 3/4 stretcher in actually the first stretcher in that wythe, the two outer bricks being the perpendicular stretcher followed by the 1/8th batt rearing the queen closer of the face wythe.

Here’s how it’s done:

1. The type of pointing in which a V-shaped projection outside the wall surface is provided is called;
    b. weather(ed) (Used for tuck-pointing repairs) for example…

1. A single top plate used as an alternative to a double top plate shall comply with the following:
    The rafters or joists shall be centered over the studs with a tolerance of not more than 1&1/2 inch. T/F

False.

A single can be used, only in areas outside of a seismic risk area, on bearing and exterior walls when joists/rafters fall within one inch of a stud, and on interior, non bearing walls

aaaa

I’m not sure I agree with you here Marcel, so I, like Roy have reservations. :smiley:

The question about the brick bond was:

*“The bond in which headers and stretchers are laid in alternate courses and every stretcher course is started with a three fourth brick bat is known as”
The Dutch bond is a modification of the old English cross bond and is indeed made up of alternate courses of headers and stretchers as specified in the question.

However, in this arrangement of brick work, each stretching course starts at the quoin with a three-quarter bat and every alternate stretching course has a header placed next to the three-quarter brick bat provided at the quoin, so it’s technically not a full course of stretchers, and therefore not known as a stretcher course, but a stretching course, because of the header (which is actually a queen closer). :cool:

Anyway, why can’t the dutch stick with their Flemish bond, and leave the good old(e) English bond alone. Try building a triple wythe wall with the Dutch arrangement. :twisted:

You have all the right to disagree, but the answer is final.
And I am also an old Mason veteran. :wink:

The bond in which headers and stretchers are laid in alternate courses and every stretcher course is started with a three fourth brick bat, is known as ;
b. Dutch bond

Dutch bond

This bond is exactly like English Cross bond except in the generating of the lap at the quoins. In Dutch bond, all quoins are three-quarter bats—placed in alternately stretching and heading orientation with successive courses—and no use whatever is made of queen closers.

Hammer him brother Leonard

He doesn’t have to hammer me, I’ve had a hammer on me for over 50 years.
And it’s not a ripping hammer either, it’s a claw one. ;):slight_smile:

Ok! So! You like the claw part of the hammer best …Huh?
(My evil mind is workin")…I ain’t gonna say it!..Nope. :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ve scratched my back a many time with one.
I really love messin’ with you Brother…
You can take it ( I’m for sure on this) and you can give it.