Questions of the week of 02/04/2018

Welcome to another round of Questions of The Week !

Questions of the week:

Introduction and requirements:

A member of the Award Committee will post a question, at a random day/time.

A competing member may make one post per question thread to answer the question and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the question answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Winnings will be limited to no more than 6 times in a given year, the objective is to allow as many Members a chance to win as possible.
Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers will forfeit the weekly winnings.

So please refrain from participating if you have already won in the maximum for the Year.

First correct answer (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Question) wins.

The lucky winner will get a case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books” shipped to them at their address on file. Make sure your Address on File with Inachi is correct.

Courtesy of Nick Gromicko.

Winners of the Question of The Week shall request their prize by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submitting their Mailing address for shipping.

Allow 2 weeks for delivery.**

THANKS for being here and good luck! **

The questions:

1. A Hammerbeam truss is only possible if the ceiling joists are incorporated into the design.** T/ F
  2. 316 Stainless steel bolts will cause rot in oak beams. **T/ F
  3. With King Post trusses, the king post (vertical member) and the bottom chord (horizontal member) are in tension with ________ loads.**

a. Latent spread
b. Latent point
c. Gravity
d. Post point
4. When inspecting a timber framed stress skin (SIP) roof what roofing material would call for a vented cold roof installation?**

a. Asphalt shingles
b. Wood shingles
c. Standing seam metal roofing
d. All of the above

Good luck inspectors.

T
f
d
c

f
f
gravity
d

1. T
  2. F
  3. C
  4. D

Good Luck (skill?), to all! :slight_smile:

F
t
b
d

William Forrest you are correct!
Give that man some books.

1. No ceiling joists are used in a Hammerbeam truss. Its a vault.

2. Stainless steel bolts or fasteners do not cause rot in oak.

3. Gravity is the only load consideration.

4. All of the above require cold vented roofs.

Most questions came from here Beautiful Timber Frames | Post and Beam | Exposed Wood Beams

Congrats William!

Congratulations William! Thanks for the questions, Paul. Always learning something new.

Tim

Yay William!

Thanks Paul and everyone.

Paul,** I would like to donate the books to the first member who responds, after this post, who joined interNachi during 2018.

**I hope you don’t mind.

DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST, I RESCIND THIS OFFER

Nice of you.

Nice William thanks! :smiley:

Congratulations William, and it might be awhile before we get a responder from a New Inachi Member from 2018, but that was very nice of you.

Thank You

I really didn’t think it would take long given the statistics.

Monday, January 22, 2018: 120 inspectors joined InterNACHI.
Tuesday, January 23, 2018: 232 inspectors joined InterNACHI.
Wednesday, January 24, 2018: 188 inspectors joined InterNACHI.
Thursday, January 25, 2018: 138 inspectors joined InterNACHI.
Friday, January 26, 2018: 119 inspectors joined InterNACHI.

697 inspectors joined InterNACHI in just the past 5 days.

That’s some BIG numbers there.
Now if we can just figure out how to get more (how about tons!) participation in this education section. For instance last week there were 223 views and 14 posts. Three members posted answers.
Got any ideas for the committee? :slight_smile:

As you wish !

Great Job. Thanks again Paul and all those that participate in the QOW.

Yes! Give away something other than books now and then.

I give coffee now and then which is time out of my day to roast it. But I can’t do it often. Still, adds a little variety to the giveaway.