Questions of the week 03/10/2019

**Welcome to another round of Questions of The Week!
Please Read the Introduction and requirements, changes may have been made.

A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.

The competing member and “Sir Roy” may make one post per question thread to answer the questions and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the questions answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers or giving hints/references will cause a disqualification.

First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.
The lucky winner will get a case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books” shipped to them at their address on file. Make sure your Address on File with Inachi is correct.
Winners of the Questions of The Week shall request their prize by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submitting their Mailing address for shipping.
Allow 2 weeks for delivery.

This week’s questions are provided to you by your new Awards Committee Member yours truly!

Good luck! :smile:

1. Can type NM cable be run through an outer/perimeter wall and the brick cladding to service an exterior outlet, exterior light, or other exterior device attached directly on the exterior cladding?

2. Can a luminaire be directly affixed/attached to the underside of a corrugated sheet metal roof of a porch?

3. On the Rinnai Model RL75e tankless gas water heater what can be used as the maintenance disconnecting means for the incoming electrical supply to the unit?

4. In the city of Frisco, Texas, with a new construction home, what is the maximum number of receptacle outlets allowed on a 20 Amp general purpose branch circuit?

5. In what typical kind of residential electrical circuit is a “Traveler” used?

And for extra credit the last question.

1. Who was turned to steel when traveling time and passing through a magnetic field, and what song was he immortalized in?

YEA MANNY!
Great Questions! .:smiley:

1-yes
2-no
3-switch
4-16
5-3 way-switch
6-Black Sabbath, Iron Man

Good Questions,

Excellent, Manny.

Thanks! :smiley:

1-yes
2-no
3-switch
4-13
5-3 way-switch

1-No
2-No
3-Switch (outdoor rated)
4-13
5-3 way-switch

Got to agree with JJ on this one…

N
N
Switch
3way switch
Bonus-Marvel’s Iron Man… Black Sabbath’s Iron Man

Good questions Manny! Thanks for your time!

Wow Y’all are to good! Jeffrey did have all answers right for the first five questions needed. I think Dave also wins with the extra credit question. Maybe INACHI will do you both right.

Marcel hit the extra credit question on the head as well. Marcel and Roy were real close and I know how Marcel came about his answer for #4 by very impressively calculating the possible loads.

Now for the answers, references, and a bit of reasoning for the questions. We all need to keep in mind that yes I am going to reference building codes and on an existing older house we may not use them. However building codes are created from good building practices and not the other way around. There are many calls we make that are in reality based on building codes even for an older existing house. As for new construction and one year warranty inspections you do need to become very familiar with the building codes as your client needs this to force many builders to do their job.

1. No - You can if you use appropriate conduit. The void behind the brick veneer is considered a damp location and NM can only be run in normally dry locations. Note I did ask specifically for NM and not NMC or NMS.

NEC 334.10 as well as the NEC definitions for damp, dry, and wet locations.

2. No - The luminaire must have a 1 1/2" gap between the top of the luminaire and the decking.

NEC 410.10

3. An exterior switch - obviously properly rated for the exterior.

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]The RL75e installation manual is readily available on the Rinnai site. This is a quick link to it https://media.rinnai.us/salsify_asse…n%20Manual.pdf . The switch requirement is located on page 21 “Connect Electricity”.[/FONT][/FONT]

NEC 110.3 requires equipment to be installed and used as per its listing and labeling.

The purpose of this question was to demonstrate the need to become familiar with manufacturer requirements, especially when performing new construction inspections. Rinnai is the only manufacturer I am aware of that requires this and the rest are happy with an OCPD and locking device. However Rinnai has made the requirements more strict than code. A failure to follow a manufacturer’s installation and use requirements can give them a reason to void your client’s equipment warranty. If I estimated I would say I see improper installation on 90%+ of Rinnai’s and many others as well.

4. 13

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]This is set by the Frisco amendments to the 2014 NEC 210.21(4) and can be found here https://www.friscotexas.gov/Document…101-PDF?bidId= This is very easy to find Frisco’s Building Inspection WEB site, or any other city in any other State that has a WEB site and properly posts information and requires similar. Who cares what Frisco, TX does unless you inspect there? But this is another one of those questions made to have the Inspector think before they make an azz out of themselves during an inspection of a new home by making sure they understand the AHJ can change requirements.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]FWIW when I first started doing phase inspections I did have my “Hee Haw” moment. It only takes one time to realize how little you know and motivate you to learn it![/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]**5. ** The most typical residential application is the 3-way switch used at the bottom and top of a stair set for the lights over the stairs. For you new guys who feel week on electrical I do recommend you read up on 3 and 4 way switching.
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]For the extra credit question not necessary to win.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]6. Iron Man by Black Sabbath. Here is a link to the original made for TV video (VH1 ??) they made. [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s7_WbiR79E[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]These are the lyrics.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]I’m a big Black Sabbath and Ozzy fan. In our current climate today Ozzy wrote a very applicable song. So ALL ABOARD THE CRAZY TRAIN!
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

OK Jeffrey and Dave, Maggie at HQ says said your name, shipping address, phone number, and what you won (a case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books”) and they’ll get them out. Congratulations!

Now if you tell them you won a Krugerand it would be interesting to see if they ship one out? :wink: :mrgreen:

Thanks Manny.

Thanks Manny!!

Top notch, Manny! :smiley:

Thanks Manny! Congratulations Jeffrey!

Thanks Manny

Congrats to you also, Sir.

I believe you both got me on question #1
Good work guys…Yep!

Good stuff Manny!

Always a learning experience. Thanks Manny and congratulations Jeffrey!