Questions of the week of 08/19/18

Welcome to another round of Questions of The Week!
Questions of the week:**

Please Read the Introduction and requirements, changes may have been made.

A member of the Award Committee will post a question, at a random day/time.

A competing member may make one post per question thread to answer the question and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the question answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Winnings will be limited to no more than three times in a given year, the objective is to allow as many Members a chance to win as possible.
Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers or giving hints/references will cause a disqualification.

So please refrain from participating if you have already won in the maximum for the Year.

First correct answer (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Question) wins.

The lucky winner will get a case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books” shipped to them at their address on file. Make sure your Address on File with Inachi is correct.

Winners of the Question of The Week shall request their prize by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submitting their Mailing address for shipping.

Allow 2 weeks for delivery.
At this time, responses are open to all inspectors who have not won during this calendar year.
If no correct answers, the responses will then be open to others at a time determined by the committee.**

1. When installing a deck to a home’s cantilever you should (2 answers) **

a. Use 6” lag bolts in a W pattern
b. A combination of lag bolts and joist hangers
c. Approved footings under the ledger
d. Extend joists into the home
2. Beam continuity is maintained by
a. Using steel straps to tie dimensional together
b. Using ½” bolts staggered in a W pattern to bolt dimensional lumber together
c. By staggering end joints of adjacent plies
d. All of the above
3. The distance deck joists can safely cantilever or overhang a drop beam is determined by the **

a. Size of the joists
b. Size of the joist hangers
c. Nailing pattern
d. All of the above**

1. One or more of the concerns for deck cantilevers is**

a. Beam deflection
b. Deck vibration
c. Deck uplift
d. All of the above

Good Luck Inspectors!

1-c
2-d
3-d
4-d

c,d
D
A
D

1:a,d
2:b
3:a
4:a

Good questions Paul, thanks for your time.

Tricky questions Paul. :slight_smile:

That’s Paul…:smiley:

Heh, heh…!

Not much action on the questions is there?

No, not much action but I can feel the lurkers that don’t qualify yet. :mrgreen:

Did I win? :D:cool:

Have you not won this year, Sir Roy? :mrgreen:

Might be time to let them loose. :wink:

I can’t believe new guys wouldn’t want to give it a shot, with the prospect of a free box of books.

I don’t get it either Dave.
We have tried hard to get new Members or existing to participate for a chance to win. :slight_smile:

Can I have a shot at it?..
They are tough questions…Yep!
How much is a case of the “NOW” books?
I’m too lazy to look it up myself…
Yep ! To lazy…

That will be up to Paul to decide Roy. :slight_smile:

Oh, and I believe they are sending out half cases which would have 20 books.

It baffles me, too. Like Marcel said we’re trying different things to get more new guys/gals involved but to no avail, yet. :mrgreen:

You & Dave have won only twice.
When I won once I received a case of 20.

The books… (free) (free books… my favorite price;) ) (if you answer the questions correctly)… have given me a tremendous amount of business over the years. I use the “free” book as a card holder for 3 or 4 business cards of my happy clients that pass our cards onto their friends, family and neighbors.