Questions of the week 12/04/16

Questions of the week 12/04/16

Introduction and requirements:

A member of the Award Committee will post a question, at a random day/time.

A competing member may make one post per question thread to answer the question and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the question answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Winnings will be limited to no more than 6 times in a given year, the objective is to allow as many Members a chance to win as possible.
Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers will forfeit the weekly winnings.

So please refrain from participating if you have already won in the maximum for the Year.

First correct answer (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Question) wins.

The lucky winner will get a case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books” shipped to them at their address on file. Make sure your Address on File with Inachi is correct.

Courtesy of Nick Gromicko.

Winners of the Question of The Week shall request their prize by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submitting their Mailing address for shipping.

Allow 2 weeks for delivery.
The questions:**

1. A junction box is facing down and installed in a joist bay above a recessed light. Is the J box considered accessible?** Y/ N

2. The laundry sink is stack vented and the stand pipe is flat vented. Is this setup code compliant? Y/ N

3. The first attempt at a uniform building code was the:**
a. Baltimore Act
b. Law of the Indies Act
c. Rebuilding of London act
d. Second Empire Act
4. One of the benefits of using glulam beams is they are so uniform there is no top or bottom when installed? **T/ F

No
No.
C.
F.

just realized my mistake
Good Luck everyone!
Great questions Paul

1. Yes
  2. No
  3. C
  4. False

No
Yes
C
F

Yes, Yes C , false

[FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]King Hammurabi, the famous law-making Babylonian ruler
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]who reigned from approximately 1955 to 1913 [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=1]B[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2].[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=1]C[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]., is probably[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman][size=2][/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]best remembered for the [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Italic][size=2]Code of Hammurabi, [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]a statute primarily[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman][size=2][/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]based on retaliation. The following decree is from the [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Italic][size=2]Code[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Italic][size=2]of Hammurabi:
[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]In the case of collapse of a defective building, the architect
is to be put to death if the owner is killed by accident;
and the architect’s son if the son of the owner loses
his life.
[/size][/FONT]

N
n
a
t

You will get your a*ss chewed off for this one…
No
No
C
True

Congratulations John Olson, you are correct!

1. A junction box facing down, installed in a joist bay above a recessed light. Is the J box considered accessible? Y/ N

2. The laundry sink is stack vented and the stand pipe is flat vented. Is this setup code compliant? Y/ N

3. The first attempt at a uniform building code was the:
    a. Baltimore Act
    b. Law of the Indies Act
    c. Rebuilding of London act
    d. Second Empire Act

4. One of the benefits of using glulam beams is they are so uniform there is no top or bottom when installed? T/ F

5. Y

6. Y

7. C

8. F
    For the guys who got question 4 wrong. **

GLULAM beams are engineered to address tension.

Balanced and Unbalanced Beams
Rosboro glulam is manufactured in balanced or
unbalanced configurations.
The most critical zone for controlling strength of a glulam
bending member is the outermost tension zone.
In unbalanced beams, the quality of lumber used on the
tension side of the beam is higher than the lumber used on
the corresponding compression side, allowing a more efficient
use of the timber resource. Therefore, unbalanced
beams have different bending stresses assigned to the compression
and tension zones and must be installed accordingly.
To assure proper installation of unbalanced beams,
the top of the beam is clearly stamped with the word
“TOP”. Rosboro Stock Glulam is an example of an unbalanced
beam.
Balanced members are symmetrical in lumber quality
from the horizontal centerline, out. Balanced beams are
used in applications such as cantilevers or continuous
spans, where either the top or bottom of the member may
be stressed in tension due to service loads. They can also
be used in single span applications, although an unbalanced
beam is more efficient for this use. Rosboro BigBeam is an
example of a balanced beam.

A junction box facing down, installed in a joist bay above a recessed light. Is the J box considered accessible?
If it isn’t readily accessible then …NO!
Just tell me when a ceiling joist is above anything except the ceiling?
I just want to know…Examples please. I wanta’ learn!
I’m assuming ceiling joist…

You can remove the light which is attached to the box, all without removing framing or drywall. So yes according to the electrical code it is an accessible junction box.

Great questions Paul. I am still having an issue comprehending the scenario in question 1. If a junction box is facing DOWN and is above a recessed light in a joist bay, how is it accessible? I just can’t get an image in my head.

In the question it is above it.

The recessed light is screwed into the junction box. So its removable.
Junction box, in a bay, the junction box is above the light. Remove the light and the wire are accessed.

The question is a real situation sent to me by an Internachi member.

Nice job Paul. Good questions. :slight_smile:

He was drinking’ .
Just jokin’ I would have lost with the last question anyways.
Good work Paul!

The question was misleading. Most of us think of a junction box as being used to splice wiring in a branch circuit with no other purpose. A box used for attaching a device or fixture is called an outlet box, which are always accessible when you remove the device. There are other types for different uses.

Brad, sometimes I try to trick out a question. On this one I did not. When I was remodeling I saw plenty of junction boxes outfitted with lights.

Octagon cut ins for example. The octagon is a junction box and also commonly used for light fixtures.
So if it appears to be misleading that was not my intent.

I know Paul. But I think what you call the box has to do with what it’s purpose is. If it has a blank cover on it, it’s a junction box. I didn’t picture the question to well.