Questions Of The Week May 28, 2018

**Welcome to another round of Questions of The Week !

Questions of the week:

Introduction and requirements:

A member of the Award Committee will post a question, at a random day/time.

A competing member may make one post per question thread to answer the question and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the question answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Winnings will be limited to no more than 6 times in a given year, the objective is to allow as many Members a chance to win as possible.
Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers will forfeit the weekly winnings.

So please refrain from participating if you have already won in the maximum for the Year.

First correct answer (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Question) wins.

The lucky winner will get a case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books” shipped to them at their address on file. Make sure your Address on File with Inachi is correct.

Winners of the Question of The Week shall request their prize by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submitting their Mailing address for shipping.

Allow 2 weeks for delivery.

**THANKS for being here and good luck! ** :smile:

1) Combination Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupters
Parallel protection detects arcing between the:
a) neutral and ground
b) hot and neutral
c) hot and ground
d) A-C
e) A-B-C
  1. True or False
    A ground fault parallel arc fault can occur only when a ground path is present.
    This type of arc fault can be cleared by a AFCI OR a GFCI
3) The primary leading factor contributing to home heating fires was failing to properly clean _______
  1. Insulators are materials that have the opposite effect on the flow of electrons. Common insulator materials are:
    a) rubber-glass-plastic
    b) wood-plastic
    c) air-rubber
    d) A-C
    e) A-B-C
5) True or False
An opening protective smoke barrier is required to be a fire door assembly which includes the door, frame, and glazing, but is not required to be supplied by the same manufacturer
  1. extra credit!
    This song was originally produced in what city?
    Third Rate Romance

Is there any Committee Member that can translate Floridian to English?
TYVM

Thanks JJ

1 e
2 T
3 Chimneys
4 E
5 T

Extra Credit: Montreal

Steve got it but,
1=E
2=T
3=Chimney
4=E
5=F

E
F
Chimneys
A
F

You can never really tell - too many good sources out there with different answers. And the OP is Da Judge of that. That’s the only way it can work, so don’t give up.

Congratulations ROY LEWIS for winning this weeks QOTW.
Good job!
Follow the directions to obtain your books.

Cool !
Where do I find how many times I have won this year?

I want to give my books to Mr. Dave Fetty

Ok, maybe I do need some translation from “Floridian” into English. Your question was:

“5) True or False
An opening protective smoke barrier is required to be a fire door assembly which includes the door, frame, and glazing, but is not required to be supplied by the same manufacturer” to which I answered “True”.

Can you show me in plain English how this statement is “false”?

From your source: “Simply put, an opening protective in a fire or smoke barrier is required to be a fire door assembly, which includes the door, frame, hardware, and glazing. These components are not typically required to be supplied by the same manufacturer—in most cases, they can be separate products which are listed, labeled, or classified for use in a fire door assembly.”

The only way it can be deemed “false” is if in the same article it states a contradiction to that, which my tired eyes have not found.

BTW - a Fire door assembly does include the door, frame, and glazing. It also includes the hardware, smoke gasket assembly, and labeling - all of which are necessary to be considered an opening protective smoke barrier and none of which have to be by the same manufacturer. The word “including” does not mean “only” - it means “the inclusion of”.

Congratulations Roy! Your Floridian language skills are much better than mine.

Congratulations, Roy!

Thanks everyone…

Every week there’s some kinda stuff from you.
Roy, you can tell him the answer - if you want to…

See! And everyone just assumes I am only causing trouble!!

Thanks Jeffrey. I’m not the only one who thinks you talk in circles Marc.

Because you can’t tell me the answer? You pointed us to a link which shows conclusively that you’re wrong by the evidence in your own link. I know English, not Goldenberg Floridian :wink:

Every week you come up with an excuse of why you don’t ask clear questions. I have a problem - with the question, not you.

But you get all butt-hurt and you want to make it personal… I’ll personally school you with an English lesson.

Your question said “includes”. “Includes” is a non-restrictive verb. If you meant to restrict the meaning of what a fire door assembly was, a person versed in plain English would say “comprised of”. “Includes” has a broader meaning than “comprised of”. “Includes” implies that there may be other things not specifically mentioned that are part of a fire door assembly, like hardware, a smoke gasket assembly, labels, a finish that’s not flammable, penetrations that are smaller than 1" in diameter, etc.

Roy already said in his answer he thought I was right - now you want him to tell me why I’m wrong? Is it because you can’t?

Waiting for your thoughtful response…

The answer is false because it did not list HARDWARE.
You even quoted the reference and still missed it.
Now stop it and learn to READ!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DGNZnfKYnU)