Questions of the Week July 20, 2018

Welcome to another round of Questions of The Week!

Questions of the week:

Introduction and requirements:

A member of the Award Committee will post a question, at a random day/time.

A competing member may make one post per question thread to answer the question and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the question answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Winnings will be limited to no more than 6 times in a given year, the objective is to allow as many Members a chance to win as possible.
Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers
or giving hints/references will cause a disqualification.

So please refrain from participating if you have already won in the maximum for the Year.

First correct answer (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Question) wins.

The lucky winner will get a case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books” shipped to them at their address on file. Make sure your Address on File with Inachi is correct.

Winners of the Question of The Week shall request their prize by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submitting their Mailing address for shipping.

Allow 2 weeks for delivery.

THANKS for being here and good luck!

1. To glue together, what types of wood require special glues and very close control of gluing conditions? (Possibly more that one.)
    -Hickory
    -Hackberry
    -Sweet Gum
    -Sycamore
    -Persimmon

2. What are the most common problems encountered in making concrete?

3. What is a good rpm speed for woods using 0 to 1/4” drill bits?

4. YARD LUMBER- Lumber used for house framing, concrete forms and sheathing. It is also known as structural lumber. Yard or structural softwood lumber is further subdivided into the following categories, based on size. Give the size ranges for BOARDS, PLANKS and TIMBERS.

THANKS Larry good ones. :slight_smile:

1 All
2 Mistakes
3 Fast
4 Small, medium, large
:lol: :wink:

Hard to answer questions. Thanks Larry.

1.Hickory, Sycamore, Persimmon
2.Shrinkage cracking, upward curling of the slab edges, scaling or spalling, discoloration, crazing.
3. 3,000
4. This is uber tricky and I’m sure will depend on what your source is, but wood is categorized as a board if its width is less than 2 1⁄2" and its thickness is less than 1 1⁄2", Planks are 2x8 though 2x12, and TIMBERS in the United States are 5"x5" or larger.

Not yet… :slight_smile:

Bump…

…a case of books to the winner. :slight_smile:

Steve has some very close answers…:slight_smile:

Everyone can start new from here on but THIS QOTW will stop soon. Good luck and searching. :slight_smile:

HERE IS A HINT:

All the answers came from this little book:

I have a question about #2.
2. What are the most common problems encountered in making concrete?

Making… as in manufacturing?
Or pouring , placement of concrete?

Making…as in putting stuff together to make concrete.

Thanks for asking, Roy. And, good luck! :smiley:

1.Sycamore, Persimmon, Sweet Gum
2. Improper concrete mixture ratio
3. 1500-3,000 rpms
4. Boards= < 2″ nominal thickness, ≥ 2″ nominal width
Planks= ≥ 2″ nominal thickness, < 5″ nominal thickness, ≥ 2″ nominal width
Timbers= ≥ 5″ nominal in least dimension

Good questions Larry, thanks for your time.

Where did you get that little book? :lol:

You’re welcome Dave.

I’ve had the book for a long time but I think I got the book at one of the conventions or InspectorOutlet.com.

I can’t remember either Larry. I have had it for a long time also.
I suppose we could find out if there is an interest amongst the Members. :slight_smile:

Or, maybe I got it in one of Nick’s Christmas prize boxes…:-k

I got mine for free.
I sent an email to try and find out if they are still available in a newer version. :slight_smile:

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Handyman In-Your-Pocket

The story of my life :stuck_out_tongue: Close, but no cigar!

[size=]SORRY, NO WINNER THIS TIME.[/size]

Guys, I know this was a short one, time-wise, but sometimes that is just the way it goes. :oops:

Here are the answers:

1. To glue together, what types of wood require special glues and very close control of gluing conditions? (Possibly more that one.)
    -Hickory
    -Hackberry
    -Sweet Gum
    -Sycamore
    -Persimmon

Answer from Handyman in-your-pocket by Richard A. Young and Thomas J. Glover 1st Edition page 129 = Hickory & Persimmon

1. What are the most common problems encountered in making concrete?

Answer from Handyman in-your-pocket by Richard A. Young and Thomas J. Glover 1st Edition page 130 = Adding too much water or sand and poor mixing.

1. What is a good rpm speed for woods using 0 to 1/4” drill bits?

Answer from Handyman in-your-pocket by Richard A. Young and Thomas J. Glover 1st Edition by page 622 = 4,000 to 6,000 rpm

1. YARD LUMBER- Lumber used for house framing, concrete forms and sheathing. It is also known as structural lumber. Yard or structural softwood lumber is further subdivided into the following categories, based on size. Give the size ranges for BOARDS, PLANKS and TIMBERS.

Answer from Handyman in-your-pocket by Richard A. Young and Thomas J. Glover 1st Edition by pages 93 & 94 =
BOARDS = Lumber must be no more than 1” thick and 4” to 12” wide.
PLANKS = Lumber must be over 1” thick and more than 6” wide.
TIMBERS = Lumber width and thickness must both be greater than 5”.

All answers came from this book: