QuestionsOfTheWeek 9-10-18

Welcome to another round of Questions of The Week!

Questions of the week:

Please Read the Introduction and requirements, changes may have been made.

A member of the Award Committee will post a question, at a random day/time.

A competing member may make one post per question thread to answer the question and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the question answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Winnings will be limited to no more than three times in a given year, the objective is to allow as many Members a chance to win as possible.
Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers or giving hints/references will cause a disqualification.

So please refrain from participating if you have already won in the maximum for the Year.

First correct answer (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Question) wins.

The lucky winner will get a case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books” shipped to them at their address on file. Make sure your Address on File with Inachi is correct.

Winners of the Question of The Week shall request their prize by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submitting their Mailing address for shipping.

Allow 2 weeks for delivery.
If no correct answers, the responses may then be open to others at a time determined by the committee.

**1) The minimum size of a cleanout serving a 3 inch pipe shall be _______ inches

2) Component parts of a hot-water distribution system
a) radiators
b) pipelines, convectors, reducing valves
c) circulating pumps & flow-control valves
d) a-b-c
e) b-c
  1. roof trusses that span wall to wall are typically required to support
    which of the following loads (may be more than one answer, or maybe not!)
    a) ceilings
    b) walls
    c) roof
    d) web system
4) When a much larger than required size wire is used on circuit a breaker, it is not a hazard. 
If some of the strands are cut to fit the connection it is a hazard.
This is known as  _______
  1. A king post truss has only has one central cord, but a fink truss has 4 cords (2 on either side)
    true or false
extra credit
From what song?
I'll stay a week & get the crabs & Take a bus back home**

Nice questions Marc. :slight_smile:

1- 3 in
2- C
3- a)c)
4- Shave & trim
5-F
Frank Zappa

1. 3

2. d

3. A and D

4. hair cutting wire

5. true

song: the guy who sang that lola song? idk lol

1. The minimum size of a cleanout serving a 3 inch pipe shall be _______ inches

It depends on the purpose of the pipe. Typically it would be 3" however if it is a stack it can be 1 size smaller (IRC P3005.2.5)

2) Component parts of a hot-water distribution system
a) radiators
d) a-b-c
e) b-c

Answer "d" - A good tutorial for this can be found at [Fundamentals of Heating Systems](http://free-ed.net/free-ed/courses/05%20building%20and%20contruction/050207%20hvac%20heat/heatsys00.asp?iNum=06)

a) ceilings
    b) walls
    c) roof
    d) web system

Answer - It depends on the purpose of the attic space. In an unfinished attic space not intended for storage or other living space the answer is “a” & “c” & “d” even though the WEB system weight is small it must still be factored into the truss design. In an attic space used for storage and/or living conditions it may also include interior walls in the attic area. This is a good primer for roof truss design, short and sweet https://www.hunker.com/13401778/how-much-weight-can-you-hang-from-a-roof-truss

4) When a much larger than required size wire is used on circuit a breaker, it is not a hazard. 
This is known as  _______

Answer - Hair Cutting The Wire - had to look that one up myself since it is a Sparky term I have not heard and would confuse clients.  I just call it "Improper trimming of wire".

1. A king post truss has only has one central cord, but a fink truss has 4 cords (2 on either side)
    true or false

Answer - True - This is a good description of truss construction with lots of great images http://www.cascade-mfg-co.com/media/a-builders-guide-to-trusses.pdf

extra credit
From what song?
I'll stay a week & get the crabs & Take a bus back home

Answer - Frank Zappa from "Who Needs The Peace Corps" .  I had just about every album and song he produced.  That was in my Stoner Days!  LOL  

Marc, Those are REALLY good questions,
guess i do not know as much as i think i do lol

1. 2.5"

2. e (b contains pipelines ya need pipes! c n circulating pumps, need those too)

3. a,b (lateral load), c (of course)
    Not d because web are part of the truss

4. trim/trimming

5. false
    xtra: Who Needs the Peace Corp?

had to google that, but…

concert in Syracuse
fav is Peaches En Regalia:)

A thinking mans questions, nice!

3"
ABC
Abcd
Hair cutting
T
Frank Zappa

D
B C
Hair Cutting
True

HOLY CRAP!
When my website first came out is was 1997. There wasn’t many around & it was OK to have music on it. I had Peaches . GREAT instrumental but my fav album was Uncle Meat & Ruben & the Jets.
Oh… and thanks to B Adair for the message & video kink :smiley:

1. The minimum size of a cleanout serving a 3 inch pipe shall be 3 inches
2) Component parts of a *hot-water* distribution system
a) radiators
d) a-b-c
e) b-c
My answer would be C because the question does not state that it is a hot-water heating system, simply distribution. Radiators and convectors are components of heating systems.
    a) ceilings
    b) walls
    c) roof
    d) web system
This is known as trimming?
    true or false. (Had to look it up, though)
extra credit
From what song?
I'll stay a week & get the crabs & Take a bus back home
"Who Needs the Peace Corps?" by Frank Zappa and the Mothers (Had to look that up, too)

3"
D
A and C
Trimming
True

“question does not state that it is a hot-water heating system, simply distribution. Radiators and convectors are components of heating systems.”

1:
2: A,C
3: C
4: Resistance.
5: True

Stumped n 1. Sorry

I concur. Great hypothesis.

Agree…:smiley:

THANKS for being here Rob.
Incidentally, 5 members have answered #2 correctly :smiley:

Well expanding from question of the week to questions of questions of the week sure has been interesting. I would like to thank all the members involved in the process for your time.

Since it’s been quiet for a while, I’m opening it up to everyone that has responded - again!
I sincerely appreciate all and the new faces that showed up & hope you come back next week & tell others. :slight_smile:

OK ~ GO!

D
A B C
Trimming
True