HomeGauge vs Home Inspector Pro

I’ve been sold on HomeGauge for over a year (the product, the people) but haven’t been able to pull the trigger. Nothing to do with HomeGauge It’s indecision on my part related to client wants and business implementation issues. Too complicated to discuss!

I’m interested in hearing from HomeGauge users who have researched the Home Inspector Pro software. I’d be more apt to spend $400, take it for a spin and if it doesn’t meet my needs I’m out $400 (+/-) instead of $900 (HG).

Any remarks about HIP would be appreciated. I already know HomeGauge is great, just looking to see if I can take the plunge and still end up with good software without risking as much $$.

Thank you,
Kevin

You can take HG for a ‘spin’ as well…

I did, been using it for years and love it…:mrgreen:

Kevin,

What is stopping you from trying Inspector Pro?

It’s free to download, everybody has their own person preference, you would be the only one who could determine what suites your needs and expectations.

I use HomeGauge and have for years, I tried Inspector Pro, there is nothing wrong with it all, simply I will stick with what I’m comfortable using which suites my business needs.

If you read my threads , Kevin you know I am sold on Home Inspector Pro.
I spent a long time looking over many of the software programs out there.
I tried Home Gauge and found it to be one I was ready to consider, until Dominic came along and began asking what as a inspector would I like a Inspection Report To look like.
Most of the suggestions I made he actually implimented and turned what was a basic non-discript program into the best Inspection software out there .
To top it off the price is lower than the others.
I would heavily recommend it, and you can take both for a test drive to see for your self.
Call the guy up and you will be sold fast as the man is there to walk you through any problems .
I am developing new sites and will have samples up soon.
Why spend twice as much for no reason.

Kevin, I’m the creator of Home Inspector Pro and I can tell you personally that HG is a great program! It’s really up to your personal preferences. The two programs actually approach performing an inspection a bit differently so like the others said, download both trials and see what you like!

If you plan on using a PDA then you definitely want to go with HomeGauge. We have not, and have no plans to develop a program for pda users (the exception might be the iPhone as it’s rumored they are going to release a Java patch for it). Our software was written in Java so it runs on Mac, Windows & even Linux and was designed to see 50+ comments at a time so we’re focusing on people using Tablets, Laptops, Desktops, etc (of course HG works on those too) who want quick data entry, not scrolling around on a PDA. Some guy love their PDA’s though as they can take them anywhere they want.

Bob’s right, I’m here if you have any questions, I just got off the phone with a woman in New York, it’s 10pm there and 7pm here.

Oh, and the holiday special right now is $349 :smiley:

Dominic

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I researched home inspector software for over three years and found HomeGauge to be #1. Russel and gang are great people and it’s obvious they’re a solid company.

As I stated in my post, my issues revolve around the money, time, process changes, and more. On top of that, my market seems to be slow in adopting technolgy. Most HI’s in my area use a paper report.

I have some Realtors who say they will not use an HI who uses a compter-generated report and others say they will use me more, if not exclusively, if I do start using a computer-generated report. So I haven’t pulled the trigger on purchasing software for these reasons.

I did test drive HG and it’s great. But on top of the $895.00 for the software I felt like I also had to sign up for the $450 annual web hosting (and other benefits) to receive the full benefits of HG. Too much money just to see if it will work for me.

However, in all honesty, its more about the work and learning curve involved in the transition, on top of everything else I’m working on (marketing, Radon certification, ICC certification, and more) than it is about the $$.

Dominic, I’ll call you next week so I can ask you some questions about HIP.
For $349.00 I think I’ll give it a shot. Even if I end up going with HG some day, HIP will atleast get me moving in the right direction at a reasonable fee.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Sounds good! Make sure to download the trial and give it a spin. Feel free to call me today as I’m working or over the weekend. My voice is a little sore from talking on the phone to inspectors yesterday combined with the all the tripohphan from the turkey though!

Dominic

That is what I like about you not grabby just helpful not trying to put down another software. Keep up the good work you will go FAR

I purchased HomeGauge a few months ago. I have completly redone two of the templates. One template I use when inspecting Power Generating Plant Fire Systems and One template is for commercial building maintenance.

The reports for residential home inspections are user friendly and easy to modify as well.

I highly recommend it.

Kevin
Years back, I too had the same problem you are having. I tried most of the programs out there over the years and ended up with HG because of how I could use the report with my clients. I’m sure the other programs work for each HI with how you run or want to take your business. HG and their staff was so supportive as well as the comments from clients on the professional report I presented just made me stay with HG. Once you make up your mind I feel after you have tried the various packages on the HI market you will be happy with the package you choose. Todays support from most of the vendors can assist you in further customization you may need for your business.
Good Luck.

You’re right Benny - I just need to jump in and go.

I did just that today. I spent over five hours reviewing the HIP tutorials and sample reports. I need to call Dominic after I get a list of questions.

I like the HIP (based on what I’ve seen so far) but I can also say it’s been about six months since I looked at HG and there are some things I really liked about HG that I’m not seeing in HIP.

Now that I’ve stopped procrastinating and I’m finally moving on this softwware thing, I’m going to call Dominic. Once I’ve talked to him and reviewed any areas he recommends, I’ll either buy HIP or call Russell and finally spend the money for HG (without the hosting - for now). It’s too bad I started and completed my trial period for HG during a time I was too busy to practice and learn!

No matter what, I’m going to buy on Monday and keep moving forward. Then it’s off to find the HIP or HG threads for member support.

Again thanks to everyone for your feedback.

Kevin Goff

Hi Kevin,

If you have any questions, definitely let me know via email, phone, or any of instant messaging system you can think of. If there’s particular features you see in HG that you don’t think HIP has, please ask and I’ll let you know if they exist, or if they are planned on being added. I have another new update scheduled to be released Monday, there’s a few NACHI members testing it out now. I’m sure there are some thing that we don’t have and vice versa. HG is a great program, not matter what your decision is I can guarantee you that you won’t be sorry.

I’m also sure that you can download the trial for HG again, and I believe most of it works even if your trial time runs out. Try to uninstall the current version from your computer and then reinstall their latest.

Dominic

Hello Kevin,

If you call in to the HG office toll free ( 877 274 4299 ) on Monday morning and we are glad to reset your 30 trial period. We realize that many people get sidetracked and need more time. I will also send you an email and maybe we can hook up before then so you dont have to delay your final decision any more.

In case you missed them HomeGauge also has many tutorials available on the web site at http://www.homegauge.com/inspector/support/tours3.html

Best of luck to you on moving into computer reports what ever you decide.

Thanks,
Sean Moore
sean@HomeGauge.com

IMO We as Home inspectors have a choice about the type of report we would like our clients to have. I started out using a check list from Inspection Support Services (Good product) but I found myself inserting photos in the report. That’s when I realized I needed software that allowed me to insert photos in my report. I currently use Homegauge and I love it. I also took Dominic’s software for a “Test Drive” and I also love it. I loved it so much I bought it. My next purchase will be InspectVue from my friend Dr. Kieth Swift!!!

Like my friend Dale said its a personal choice.

I spent about 5 hours over the weekend reviewing and playing with Home Inspector Pro - nice program. Dominic, you should do well in meeting the needs of many home inspectors.

By the way dominic, I want to thank you for all you contribute to the NACHI message board. I read all your posts and learn from your posts. In fact, I still plan on calling you (not about buying HIP) but to see if you can provide some services I need (computer/web site/internet related).

I also received an Email from HomeGauge and renewed my 30-day trial. And again,I dedicated several hours on Sunday test driving the software. Once one makes the commitment to dive in, it’s still tedious, but attitude with trying out and staying with new software is everything.

I’m going to continue test-driving HomeGauge, but it’s obvious HG is the look and program that fits and I will likely end up purchasing HG. WHY? Like many have already stated, personal preference - works best for me.

You can’t go wrong with HIP, especially for the price (if HIP works for you). For me, it’s going to be HomeGauge. Plus it’s a great excuse to visit my sister in Ashville while I attend free Friday training.

Best of luck Dominic - good program - and keep up the good work with your very informative posts.

Kevin

I totally understand, and like I said you’ll be happy either way yo ugo. Let me know if you need anything else, I do websites from time to time. Two examples are http://www.TotalHomeInspectionServices.biz and http://www.AccurateInspections.biz . I’m actually going to have a partner start working on them sometime soon as I’m too busy working on the program and the site. I’ve slept 3-4 hours a night for the past 4 or 5 days and need some rest!

Dominic

Okay guys…I’ll have to chime in since Dominic has gotten his share of free time on this message board. Make sure to look at Knights Software Solutions also besides just Home Gauge and Home Inspector Pro. Our software has been around over 10 years…(as long as 3D just about) and we have thousands of clients across the US and Canada. The biggest difference between our software and almost everyone elses is that we wrote the software to be used AS you are doing the inspection instead of AFTER the inspection. Our emphasis has always been in eliminating having to reenter your inspection data whether it is back at home in your office or running back and forth to the kitchen on the counter. There is a significant difference in interface and functionality in software designed to be “INSPECTION” software instead of “REPORTING” software. “REPORTING” software is easy to recognize because when you are using it you can actually see the report being created. With “INSPECTION” software the complete interface is designed to make it as fast and efficient as possible to collect the data as you are doing the inspection…it then creates the report for you at the end of the inspection based on inspection data collected…you do not have to reenter your data in the evening or in the kitchen.
And the answer is YES…we also have a version of our software that has a price of $349.

Jeffrey Knight
Knights Software Solutions
www.knightssoftware.com

Ahhh…but there is a difference here. Dominic is a InterNachi MEMBER… you are not !!! Your post would be considered SPAM !!!

Jeffrey

Not only is Dominic a member of NACHI he is VERY helpfull. And is not “Pushy” with his software. He is a class act.

Mario,

Ease up a bit on Jeff. He’s a decent guy and I have met him personally several times. He is a previous member I believe.