Inspection Software that uses CSI codes

I’m currently looking into software for my start up inspection business. Is there any software that incorporates the CSI codes used in the commercial construction industry? I can purchase one of several construction PM software packages. These are costly and I will only utilize 35-40% of the program. The CSI codes are currently in transition, the 16 division version would suffice. Does anyone use CSI Codes in commercial reports?
Thanks in advance for the help!
Paul Miner

George Wells and I had talked about this recently… ask him via this message board or http://www.bestinspectors.net/

What Paul is talking about is the MasterFormat for commercial http://www.constructionnotebook.com/ipin2/CSIDivisions.asp

Remember with most home inspection software you are able to completely create your own inspection types from scratch even…this can range from a roof certification to a commercial inspection for restaurants…etc. The sky is the limit really and you can take whatever CSI codes YOU want and create you for yourself that is specific to your needs.

The format presented by Tim is the old 16 division format that I have used for 25 years. This is being changed to a 49 division format, several of the Architects and Engineers that I work with feel the new format will be the standard by 2014. A percentage of the material contained in the CSI codes will come in handy to anyone choosing to venture into the commercial market. If you ever find yourself in litigation, a knowledge of CSI standards will help you represent your case. When requesting any construction documents for an inspection include in your request the project specifications and as-built drawings. There are several other construction/contract documents that should be included in your request for documents.
“Good luck to All”
Paul Miner

Paul,

Have you any success in your search for this?

My thoughts at the time (George had talked to me) were that the MasterFormat codes may not be relevant to my providing a Property Condition Assessment on the properties I’m looking at… I’ve used ASTM and Nachi’s SOP for commercial, but your response renews this discussion… Also, I think most of our request for documentation prior to the PCA is similar, where would the CSI codes be relevant?

Thanks!

Tim,
My desire to use CSI codes is personal preference. Perhaps a bit of overkill to some, I think it will generate business. The commercial industry is all about documentation. The ability to communicate with developers and owners in terms they use daily will be an asset. CSI & AIA documents are simply the industry standard and very relevant. The commercial market will be my focus, I simply want it done right. Once I launch, I will let you know if me efforts were in vain. I honestly appreciate the input!

Paul,

CSI’s Master Format is used by most of the architects I work with and most of my commercial clients. Most are still using the 16 division numbering scheme (1963-1995). Master Format was updated in 2004, 2010 and again in 2012 but I don’t see a big rush to convert to the newer, more detailed, versions. Regardless of which version you are using, my HomeTrex and Heritage inspection reports work well with Master Format.

Are you saying that your software is built around the 16 Division CSI codes? If it is, you have a winner! Doe your software have the 16 Divisions as a drop down? Tell me more, you have my undivided attention.

Paul,

I won’t go so far as to say my software was built around Master Format but it was built with Master Format in mind. My software is structured differently from most inspection software. When I got into home inspection, there wasn’t much in the way of software available so there were no industry paradigms to influence my design strategies. I had already been doing software for project managers and contractors for many years so I carried much of what I knew from that world into my home and commercial building inspection software.

A primary goal of my inspection software is to be adaptable to any type of structure and any set of standards. Every non-residential project I have ever participated on has used Master Format so I wanted to be able to incorporate it easily into report templates.

It is possible to build templates using any edition of Master Format (or any other industry standard for that matter). I have attached a few screen shots to show how Master Format is incorporated into my inspection software.

CAT-MF-3.jpg

CAT-MF-2.jpg

In the previous message, I attached a screenshot of the part of the report body. There are checkboxes in that screen shot that can be turned of. As you can see in this screen shot, when the checkboxes are turned off, the narrative section is automatically widened to fill the width of the page.

CAT-MF-5.jpg

From what you have shown me,you’re onto something. HIP & HG are for the home inspector market, they say it can be used for commercial inspections. I was really leaning towards HG but just couldn’t pull the trigger. As with yourself the PM Software I have used really set the standard for any software. The use of CSI codes will simplify documentation.
George, hang up the inspection tools and market this.

Paul,

Every architect and every major corporation I have ever worked with uses MasterFormat. Support for MasterFormat is one of the reasons I sell a lot of software to commercial building inspectors. It is a relatively small market though; too small to justify a wide variety of reports that are solely based on MasterFormat.

The industry also lacks universal agreement of which edition of MasterFormat to use. The 1995 edition was the most popular in MasterFormat’s history. There have been three editions since 1995 (2004, 2010, 2012) but the 1995 edition is still preferred by many professionals. CSI is no longer supporting the 1995 edition.

As a software developer, my inclination is to want to support the latest edition (2012) but most of the industry is reluctant to adopt the 2012 standard. If the industry comes close to something like a consensus, I’ll do a special edition of Heritage specifically for MasterFormat.