Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Inspection Hardware, Software & Publications

Notices

Inspection Hardware, Software & Publications What hardware, software, books, videos, etc have you found useful? What would you like to see more of? This topic is to discuss various inspection-related products and publications.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3/3/13, 8:59 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default No report software

I'm interested in hearing from people who use there own microsoft word based template or something similar. People who kicked reporting software to the curb. Did you start out this way, or did you decide you couldn't quite customize the report the way you like? Anyone care to share there experience. I currently use Homegauge but would like to create something on the side. Don't get me wrong Homegauge and Home Inspector Pro are great(I said it Bob, go easy on me).

Paul Maggiore, CPI, CGC

Need a home inspection in New Hampshire? Check out InterNACHI's listing of New Hampshire certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/3/13, 10:39 AM

Default Re: No report software

Ha ha .

I tried many times before HIP.

Try uploading 300 pics to word ?
Old 3/3/13, 11:24 AM
InterNACHI Member

I made my own MS Word based document template several years ago and am very pleased with it. I am somewhat of a computer geek so I am very comfortable integrating photos and using features in MS Word. I download my cameras 100's of photos to a directory in seconds and then using copy and paste putting the salient ones in the report. It is very efficient and allows me infinite flexibility because it is my document template and I can change it any time I please. I would say you need intermediate to advanced MS Word and computer skills to make it work.

Gerald L. Coy, P.E.
Rochester Home Inspections & Engineering, PLLC

http://rochester-home-inspections.com

Serving Rochester, NY and its metropolitan area.
Old 3/3/13, 11:37 AM
Certified Master Inspector

Picture Drop by Devwave if you really want to go bonkers with pics and annotating them with word... easy peezy.. https://www.devwave.com/picturedrop/

No doubt in my mind that you can create a better document with word.... it's just putting the report together with it that could be a bit overwhelming, at least for me. Word *is* a very powerful program, and I use it quite a bit. I do not write reports on a regular basis, but do use it for specialty type inspections and other uses, but having said that... I only know about 1/10th of it's functions.

Home Inspections in Palmdale Lancaster California

Tim Spargo
Spec Rite Inspections
Commercial and Residential Inspections
Flir / Infrared Training Center Certified Thermographer # 66059
Palmdale Lancaster Santa Clarita CA
661-317-5770

Old 3/3/13, 11:45 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

I use word for my commercial inspections. I have another program that I use for inspections. I have always thought about making a template in word for my home inspections but have never found the time.

Greg Mathias, CCHI
Journeyman Carpenter
Level I Thermographer
Global Property Inspections
(780)205-9912
Old 3/3/13, 12:28 PM
InterNACHI Member

I make my reports using templates created in FileMaker Pro. Have been using it for years and my clients and Realtors really like it.
Old 3/3/13, 1:27 PM

I have been using MS Publisher since 97. Every year I try new versions or new inspection programs, and I always come back to Publisher. I have also done reports in Open Office as well as Excel.

The biggest problem I have had with "inspection software" is that like any other software program, you end up modifying it to the point where you totally rewrite the program.

Last edited by evandeven; 3/3/13 at 7:20 PM..
Old 3/3/13, 6:49 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to check this stuff out.

Paul Maggiore, CPI, CGC

Old 3/3/13, 8:23 PM

Never hurts to try but have yet to see a guy create and then sell it which pretty much sums everything up for me.
Old 3/3/13, 10:33 PM

My time is too valuable to waste it on writing an old book in a new way. The best programs already allow you to adapt the report to what you want. Why would you waste valuable time recreating some that already exists? I average a little over $100 per hour. What type of program could be written in 5 or 6 hours of my time (the cost of an existing program) that would be worth a darn?

Spend the down time with your wife, kids, motorcycle, gun, surfboard or brew some beer. Time much better well spent. JMHO.

Stephen Stanczyk
Washington State Licensed Home Inspector # 221
President, Washington Association of Property Inspectors (WAPI)
(253) 241-0602 calls answered until 10pm

Pierce County -Thurston County - King County - Kitsap County
Old 3/3/13, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstanczyk View Post
My time is too valuable to waste it on writing an old book in a new way. The best programs already allow you to adapt the report to what you want. Why would you waste valuable time recreating some that already exists? I average a little over $100 per hour. What type of program could be written in 5 or 6 hours of my time (the cost of an existing program) that would be worth a darn?

Spend the down time with your wife, kids, motorcycle, gun, surfboard or brew some beer. Time much better well spent. JMHO.
So true.
In my case it was early on when that time could have been used for marketing.

Never saw homemade that impressed anyone other than the proud creater.
(seen many)
Old 3/4/13, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstanczyk View Post

Exactly..I have been using Publisher for nearly 20 years............why change now?
Old 3/4/13, 10:56 AM
Registered InterNACHI Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandeven View Post
I have been using MS Publisher since 97. Every year I try new versions or new inspection programs, and I always come back to Publisher. I have also done reports in Open Office as well as Excel.

The biggest problem I have had with "inspection software" is that like any other software program, you end up modifying it to the point where you totally rewrite the program.
What type of modifying are you talking ? Just curious. If you are talking modifying the comments to your own liking you are going to be doing that no matter what you use.

The idea of using a Word template would only make sense if you are using it back at the office only. If you are trying to use Word to actually gather the data in the field it would be like trying to put a square peg in a round hole...MS Word is not a data collection application.

Jeffrey R. Knight
Knights Software Solutions, Inc.
www.knightssoftware.com
jknight@knightssoftware.com
ph: (715) 381-1433

"Leading handheld inspection software for 20 years."

PocketInspectMate v7.0 ($849)
http://www.knightssoftware.com

Runs on PC, PocketPC, Windows 8 laptops and tablets. Surface Pro3 tablets and Windows 10. (No need for the cloud or monthly service payments)

Over a 1,000 happy users throughout US and Canada.

Need a home inspection in New Hampshire? Check out InterNACHI's listing of New Hampshire certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/4/13, 1:25 PM

Quote:
The idea of using a Word template would only make sense if you are using it back at the office only. If you are trying to use Word to actually gather the data in the field it would be like trying to put a square peg in a round hole...MS Word is not a data collection application.
Tend to agree there.

Home Inspections in Palmdale Lancaster California

Tim Spargo
Spec Rite Inspections
Commercial and Residential Inspections
Flir / Infrared Training Center Certified Thermographer # 66059
Palmdale Lancaster Santa Clarita CA
661-317-5770

Old 3/4/13, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight View Post
What type of modifying are you talking ? Just curious. If you are talking modifying the comments to your own liking you are going to be doing that no matter what you use.

I am talking about modifying each individual page to get the original to look the way you want it. Then, there is the issue, which Word has as well, of "rolling" text or images into the next page. Go to several inspectors sites and look at their reports. You almost always see parts of the plumbing section, as an example, split in two. Then, on some, you see a blank page in the middle of the report.

Word can be used as a data collection application. I have a template somewhere from back in 2000 that had drop down boxes, check boxes and a whole bunch of things. The issue was, you had to protect the document to use them. When you un-protected the document, everything went away.

I am not knocking any of the inspection programs. What I will say, is that if you are proficient in a particular software program, design your reports in that. and, Word wouldn't be my first choice. If Open Office were more stable, I would use that.

It takes me about an hour or an hour and a half to process my reports, start to finish uninterrupted.

The main issue I have, is that if I were to use a tablet onsite, I would have to wear reading glasses, then take them off to look at something, put them on to see something and that alone would probably add an hour to my inspection time! Then I am sure, that I would drop the tablet at least once a day,which would probably cause it to break.

I used to do the reports onsite with a printer. If I really wanted to, I could do the reports on my laptop and then e mail them, which I have done on days where I had two inspections, but for one inspection, what is an hours difference in delivery time?