Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Special Deals for InterNACHI Inspectors This forum is a place for InterNACHI home inspectors and vendors to post special discounts and exclusive offers. This forum is publicly visible, but only InterNACHI home inspectors can enjoy the discounts. You must have vendor membership status to post on InterNACHI's deals forum. To become an vendor member, apply today.

Old 11/17/15, 2:36 PM
Active Poster

Default What else do members want from InterNACHI? Post your suggestions.

Quote:
How about a free InterNACHI version of Recall Check
No one hires a home inspector so that they can find out if their dishwasher was recalled. No one buys a Lamborghini to get the 6-CD changer. In other words, it doesn't cause a consumer to choose you.

Furthermore, it likely pisses off agents who would never admit that they aren't too happy with their home inspector going outside his/her Standards of Practice and checking stuff for recalls or checking for missing building permits or checking for local crime statistics. It's just not our job and agents don't want you sticking your nose where it doesn't belong. I was a top-producing agent for years, I have 10,000 friends who are agents, I know how agents think. For every agent who compliments you for checking something that you weren't hired to check (those are the agents you hear from), there are 25 agents who are quietly thinking: "I'll never recommend him again."

Furthermore, on behalf of your client you have breached your client's sales agreement by performing a recall check without the seller's permission. Seller's look at multiple offers and often accept an offer based on what inspections are being asked to have performed. Often a buyer will waive all inspections to try to enhance his/her offer. Anyway, the seller (the OWNER of the home and the appliances) has to agree to allow your client to perform a home inspection, or a septic inspection, or a mold inspection or whatever. If your client doesn't have permission within the sales agreement to do those inspections, then you can't do them. You have no right to check for recalls on appliances without the owner of those appliances granting you permission. Sales agreements have inspection riders for a reason. They are part of a legal contract. That legal contract indirectly gives you permission to come to the house and inspect that which the parties to the agreement have agreed you'll inspect. If you unilaterally start checking appliances for recalls or sticking your nose into a septic tank or mowing the lawn for that matter... you are way out of line. The reason InterNACHI doesn't release its own Recall Check, isn't because we are technically unable. We don't release our own Recall Check because you'll use it.

Last edited by gromicko; 11/17/15 at 8:22 PM..
Need a home inspection in Kentucky? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Kentucky certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 11/17/15, 2:41 PM
Active Poster

Default Re: What else do members want from InterNACHI? Post your suggestions.

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to listen, Nick. Lets just start with:

When any nonmember uses a InterNACHI logo or materials, they will be warned to stop if they do not stop, InterNACHI will prosecute them.
If word gets out that our system is to allow non-members to use our logos without any risk and that we send them a warning before we file a lawsuit for damages, the effect of that will cause more non-members to steal from us. Our goal is to reduce theft of our intellectual property. Our system of financially obliterating a few thieves of year with lawsuits provides a scarier deterrent than Cease and Desist warnings which are nothing more than letters.
Old 11/17/15, 2:49 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
Nick, it's kind of a benefit in reverse. What most members want is for their association (NACHI) to actively promote a vendor who publicly harms Nachi members, and You the founder.

This is being done by this vendor in many way, posting things like the cheating the iris tax's (really didn't want to mention that, but is makes you look bad, and us as members of your association), claiming you are behind his new Buy back guarantee promotion for joining his widget programs those are just a few...

InterNACHI is supposed to be better than the rest, not in just the skills and quality of our inspections, but also as stand up trustworthy, honorable inspectors and an association as a whole. A total Class act, a step above the rest,, ...etc.

By promoting and doing Any business with anyone who has been proven to be less than stellar and hones greatly tarnishes that for all members and the association,and is quite damaging.

Jim
I'm not going to let personality or attacks on me cause me to do harm to my own members. If Adolf Hitler is offering to pay some bills for some members to save them money.... I'm happy for those members.
Old 11/17/15, 2:53 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Send a message via ICQ to jkeilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
If word gets out that our system is to allow non-members to use our logos without any risk and that we send them a warning before we file a lawsuit for damages, the effect of that will cause more non-members to steal from us. Our goal is to reduce theft of our intellectual property. Our system of financially obliterating a few thieves of year with lawsuits provides a scarier deterrent than Cease and Desist warnings which are nothing more than letters.

You said in another thread that Mark Cohen said you will send 1 letter, and if that does not work you will then Obliterate them, take their businesses, their homes etc... Is that still the system?

Jim

"We Respect Our Clients Right To Privacy"

Jim Keilson Certified Master Inspector

MarylandHomeInspectionServices.com

www.MarylandRadonTesting.org

Specializing in All Air Quality
Mold and Radon Gas Testing

State of Maryland License# 31141
Virginia License#3380 000468
InterNACHI ID: NACHI10101807
(IAC2). Certification # IAC2-02-0919
Maryland Home Inspectors, Also servicing All of Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Old 11/17/15, 2:57 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
Also, Nick, can we bring back the Ethics Committee? I do not totally understand why they are gone, but even I have disagreements with them at some point about their decision about a member or two. But I always accepted their decision because they are veterans of InterNACHI that have a tough job. Anyways, InterNACHI staff should be doing other things.
The Ethics Committee only made recommendations that the directors and legal staff of InterNACHI mostly followed. Every now and then we consider the recommendations, but then adopt a different course of action. This protects the committee from liability and puts the decision to take whatever action we take on us. The system works.

Last edited by gromicko; 11/17/15 at 3:35 PM..
Old 11/17/15, 2:59 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
You said in another thread that Mark Cohen said you will send 1 letter, and if that does not work you will then Obliterate them, take their businesses, their homes etc... Is that still the system?

Jim
No. We tried it and it failed. Mark and I went back to my system of zero warning. If word gets out that we warn everyone with no consequences, the theft of our intellectual property will increase.
Old 11/17/15, 3:03 PM

Quote:
No. We tried it and it failed. Mark and I went back to my system of zero warning.

OK that's wrong, but your choice. Anyway when there is a clear violator how should it get reported ? and to who

Thanks

Maryland Home Inspectors, Also servicing All of Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Old 11/17/15, 3:09 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
OK that's wrong, but your choice. Anyway when there is a clear violator how should it get reported ? and to who

Thanks
You can email me. But maybe we'll do nothing about it immediately. In a battle, you don't attack on all fronts. You look for the opportunities where you have the most superiority over your enemy, take that hill, then reassess the battlefield looking for your next best opportunity to exploit your advantage over the opponent.

Remember, the idea isn't to stop everyone who is stealing our I.P. in exchange for increasing the number of those who attempt to steal. That's going forward one step for every two steps backwards. The idea is to reduce the number of those who try in the first place by creating a risk to thieves of financial Armageddon.
Old 11/17/15, 3:21 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Quote:
No one hires a home inspector so that they can find out if their dishwasher was recalled. No one buys a Lamborghini to get the 6-CD changer. In other words, it doesn't cause a consumer to choose you.

Furthermore, it likely pisses off agents who would never admit that they aren't too happy with their home inspector going outside his/her Standards of Practice and checking stuff for recalls or checking for missing building permits or checking for local crime statistics. It's just not our job and agents don't want you sticking your nose where it doesn't belong. I was a top-producing agent for years, I have 10,000 friends who are agents, I know how agents think. For every agent who compliments you for checking something that you weren't hired to check (those are the agents you hear from), there are 25 agents who are quietly thinking: "I'll never recommend him again."
Of the RE Agents I asked when this topic came up, I think every one I asked had a response similar to what you just said (so I stopped asking), and the warranty idea has always been troubling IMO as folks within the RE transaction coordinate this and I was admonished of duplicate coverage etc.. However, and nonetheless, I thinks it's wise to ask those you do business with for feedback about how you are doing, products/offerings etc. Feedback about an offering via a message board is helpful, but finding out whether something is really wanted in your market is a good idea, as in my experience, it's hard to change your service etc once people are used to it.

Edit - However, I've not asked too many (busy summer/fall) about the BuyBack, what was your response in SoCal of such?

Home Inspections in Palmdale Lancaster California

Tim Spargo
Spec Rite Inspections
Commercial and Residential Inspections
Flir / Infrared Training Center Certified Thermographer # 66059
Palmdale Lancaster Santa Clarita CA
661-317-5770

Old 11/17/15, 3:29 PM
Active Poster

Tim Spargo writes:
Quote:
Of the RE Agents I asked when this topic came up, I think every one I asked had a response similar to what you just said
Yep. Most inspectors think that checking for recalls is helping their business because they hear from the 1 in 25 agents who likes it. The other 24 aren't going to admit why they don't. In business... I play the odds. What you did correctly Tim, was you figured out the odds.
Old 11/17/15, 3:32 PM
Active Poster

Tim also asks:
Quote:
I've not asked too many (busy summer/fall) about the BuyBack, what was your response in SoCal of such?
As you can probably imagine, I've already surveyed agents and so I know what the odds are regarding InterNACHI's "We'll Buy Your Home Back" Guarantee. I trust your survey will produce similar, very positive results. The Buy Back program is really a better sales tool for real estate agents than it is for inspectors.
Old 11/17/15, 3:36 PM
Active Poster

Is there anything else that you'd like from your InterNACHI membership?
Old 11/17/15, 3:38 PM

Nick, I give up arguing with you about this as the reason you say what you say is to protect your Homie Nathan, that is obvious. Nothing anyone can say will change that., (extremely sad but true)

I do want to say that your reasoning you just posted only shows your lack of experience in the DMCA world of stolen content. I have years of experience in this field and work with the biggest DMCA companies that have hundreds of thousands of stolen images and other copyrighted materials removed from the net. Of course some ended up in court and ended up with huge settlements and the Obviation of the offenders like you said you like also. But a boatload more offenders quit immediately with the correct cease and desist.

In the case of stolen Nachi logos it is even more important to take down a quantity of thieves then wait for just a few offenders. The reasoning is that when a stolen Nachi logo (cmi or any other) get seen by the pubic agents, clients, anyone for that matter it can negative affect on all Real Nachi members if the thief is a bozo.

I highly doubt any Nachi member wants to be associated with some idiot thief who screws up inspections, speaks bad about our industry, or does anything for that matter that could be frowned upon and cause Nachi members and the association to all look like bunions.

Jim

Need a home inspection in Kentucky? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Kentucky certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 11/17/15, 3:42 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Quote:
Okay just prosecute them all, except the very few. Even some of the nonmembers you contacted basically said screw NACHI, and nothing was done.

Braun Inspection Consultants
Serving Jefferson City, Columbia, Sedalia, Fulton and Lake of the Ozarks
Old 11/17/15, 3:47 PM

Quote:

Tim Spargo writes: Quote:
Of the RE Agents I asked when this topic came up, I think every one I asked had a response similar to what you just said

Nick Gromicko
writes: Quote:
Yep. Most inspectors think that checking for recalls is helping their business because they hear from the 1 in 25 agents who likes it. The other 24 aren't going to admit why they don't. In business... I play the odds. What you did correctly Tim, was you figured out the odds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK Nick, for those posts I am standing up giving you a Huge round of applause, and then a standing ovation and encore !!!!!

We finally agree...

Jim

Last edited by jkeilson; 11/17/15 at 3:53 PM..