Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Special Deals for InterNACHI Inspectors This forum is a place for InterNACHI home inspectors and vendors to post special discounts and exclusive offers. This forum is publicly visible, but only InterNACHI home inspectors can enjoy the discounts. You must have vendor membership status to post on InterNACHI's deals forum. To become an vendor member, apply today.

Old 1/5/18, 9:54 PM
Active Poster

Default Re: InterNACHI's Free Listing Inspections Program: Answers to Frequently-Asked Questi

Quote:
This program might be great for small town boys but going by someones home address shafts anyone that works in a major city but does not actually live in the target zip code where the work is .It is very flawed and also the Inspectors must trust NACHI to farm it out fairly as it is prone to kickbacks .
Nope, because the real estate leads go straight back to whatever inspector did the listing inspection. InterNACHI doesn't "farm" them out.
Need a home inspection in Mississippi? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Mississippi certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/6/18, 2:16 AM
Certified Master Inspector

Default Re: InterNACHI's Free Listing Inspections Program: Answers to Frequently-Asked Questi

Quote:
Quote:
1. The program runs perpetually, like all of our programs. I don't think I need to add that to the QA page.
I think our definitions of Perpetual are very different in this topic. we will see

2. You aren't. You are trading them for paid listing inspections. Every beta test we did caused the listing agent to offer us additional paid listing inspections for obvious reasons. That's in the QA page.
Just from this statement proves that this is not a FREE Listing Inspection Program, unless you are solely backing on the idea that it is free to the seller. Thanks for clearing that up.

3. We have no plans to abandon the program, so I can't add that question in the QA page as the premise is incorrect.
Thanks for clarification

4. Whoever pays you is your client. I'll adjust an answer in the QA page to note that.
This has been one of your key selling points in this program to us.
InterNACHI is the client and we will never sue one of our members.
So then there is a potential for Liability in the program when InterNACHI is not the client and whomever paid for the Inspection decides to file suit.

5. No. We don't want to be the client, we just have to be at first.
This is the answer that I knew existed but I have not seen answered that directly yet. Thanks for the clarification.
Thanks for the response Look forward to the final announcements.

<a href=http://www.bluffshomeinspection.com target=_blank>http://www.bluffshomeinspection.com</a>

Performing Home Inspections in Council Bluffs, Missouri Valley, Glenwood, and surrounding areas

Council Bluffs Home Inspector
Iowa Home Inspector Council Bluffs - Facebook

Active Rain Member
Old 1/6/18, 2:45 AM
Active Poster

Quote:
So then there is a potential for Liability in the program when InterNACHI is not the client and whomever paid for the Inspection decides to file suit.
Way less than the liability you are exposed to on tomorrow's inspection for a buyer who is moving INTO a home you inspected.

If InterNACHI, an agent, or a seller pays you, your liability is zero or near zero. You could totally blow an inspection for a seller and the buyer can't sue you. No legal standing. They buyer can only sue his/her inspector. Like I said, this program dramatically reduces your liability.
Old 1/6/18, 12:56 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Much prefer MIC to this program.NACHI should not be picking winners and losers which is exactly what would happen.

A great inspector not downtown gets zero work but a part time hack doing inspections as side work gets all the money if closer by a mile because you are using zip code as a lottery.It forces guys with money invested and relationships made to compete with his own association.

See FAQ #31
Old 1/6/18, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belliott View Post
Much prefer MIC to this program.NACHI should not be picking winners and losers which is exactly what would happen.

A great inspector not downtown gets zero work but a part time hack doing inspections as side work gets all the money if closer by a mile because you are using zip code as a lottery.It forces guys with money invested and relationships made to compete with his own association.

See FAQ #31
Has there been an answer to the how does the inspector get selected question? I assume the "Find an Inspetor" tool.. Most markets are the 80/20 rule for *any* service, trade or profession and typically, the cream rises to the top. The best or top 20 percent are doing 80 percent of the work, the program creates an opportunity to place lessor used (and other lessor's possible) in front of seller's and their reports in the hands of buyers, I think Bob has a point. When an inspector that still needs some more miles under their belt is sent to an expensive / complex home and trouble potentially follows, it could do more to hurt the intentions of such. I'm not sure how I or anyone else would be able to select. Maybe a multiple choice for listing agent? Don't know myself.

This should be interesting

Home Inspections in Palmdale Lancaster California

Tim Spargo
Spec Rite Inspections
Commercial and Residential Inspections
Flir / Infrared Training Center Certified Thermographer # 66059
Palmdale Lancaster Santa Clarita CA
661-317-5770

Old 1/6/18, 2:04 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspargo View Post
Has there been an answer to the how does the inspector get selected question? I assume the "Find an Inspetor" tool.. Most markets are the 80/20 rule for *any* service, trade or profession and typically, the cream rises to the top. The best or top 20 percent are doing 80 percent of the work, the program creates an opportunity to place lessor used (and other lessor's possible) in front of seller's and their reports in the hands of buyers, I think Bob has a point. When an inspector that still needs some more miles under their belt is sent to an expensive / complex home and trouble potentially follows, it could do more to hurt the intentions of such. I'm not sure how I or anyone else would be able to select. Maybe a multiple choice for listing agent? Don't know myself.

This should be interesting
I agree, it seems that Nick does not like to answer the tough questions like how will an inspector get the job?
Originally I thought we would market this to listing agents and then contact Nachi with a property that a seller wanted this done on.

When will this program officially begin?
It has been mentioned several times that " Free inspections for ALL of 2018". Just checked the calendar moments ago and it said 2018 is here.

Is it a one time thing with Nachi and then the inspector will expect the listing agents pay the inspector directly?
That won't happen!

Mike Bitterman CMI
SNS Home Inspections LLC
Serving all of Central Florida
http://www.snsinspections.com
Old 1/6/18, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belliott View Post

See FAQ #31
You do realize that this only covers any request for the program through InterNACHI.
You need to be able to promote the service to the agents you want to work with and market this on your own.

Your scenario only truly affects you if you are unable to market the program and find the Agents willing to work with you.

FAQ#20 & 32

<a href=http://www.bluffshomeinspection.com target=_blank>http://www.bluffshomeinspection.com</a>

Performing Home Inspections in Council Bluffs, Missouri Valley, Glenwood, and surrounding areas

Council Bluffs Home Inspector
Iowa Home Inspector Council Bluffs - Facebook

Active Rain Member

Last edited by jharrison; 1/6/18 at 2:41 PM..
Old 1/6/18, 3:04 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbitterman View Post
Is it a one time thing with Nachi and then the inspector will expect the listing agents pay the inspector directly?
That won't happen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrison View Post
You do realize that this only covers any request for the program through InterNACHI.
You need to be able to promote the service to the agents you want to work with and market this on your own.
In my experience the majority of REA's haven't and never will promote listing inspections. Let alone pay for them. Especially in the present "hot" market.
Old 1/6/18, 7:25 PM

InterNachi plans on using the Owens Corning Roof Tech approach to announce inspections. It's based on your listing in Inspector Seek. So when they get a request for a free pre-listing inspection an email blast will be sent to the member inspectors in that area. Here is a sample from an Owens Corning Job today.
There is a new Owens Corning Roof Data Collection job available. Here are the details:

Claim # (for reference): 20552329

Distance: 21.70 miles (about 37 mins by car)

Payment: $135

Please let us know ASAP if you are available and would like the job. We are contacting other available inspectors, so please respond quickly if you're interested.

Thanks!

Ben Gromicko
InterNACHI
This is also similar to how Home Advisor does it only these are actual jobs and not leads. However, the job goes to the guy that is the quickest to respond. Which is one of the biggest complaint about HA. The other is quality of leads which should not be a problem with this program since its "FREE".

So if I am not busy and have nothing to do but sit an wait for an email great or if I have office staff that can do this again great. However, if I am a single inspector firm and don't have the luxury to drop everything I am doing to check my email every time my phone dings well then I miss out.

The concept is those that are not busy will get the job and the others don't but that's okay because they must be busy. The reality is it will either go to those that are not busy or to the big guys who will only get bigger!

I'm with Bob on the zip code thing. My main market is Charlotte but I live just outside in a smaller town. A lot of my work is 20-25 miles away from my office.

Let's also talk about pay. I've been part of the Owens Corning program since it started. To date there have been no increases in pay. InterNachi will say that is on Owens Corning. I hope this does not play out the same with this program. Most inspectors in my area have raised their prices for the last 3 years in response to the hot real estate market.

Its been proposed to use the Internachi Fee Calculator. So if this is true the guy that responds with in 30 seconds of a job being posted is not busy and then should get a lower rate. Perhaps no one responds for 5 minutes it goes from dead to very slow and the price bumps up a bit. If no responses for an hour then the price goes up to the next level and so on. No word on exactly how this will be implement though.

It sounds like there will be an option for agents and/or sellers to submit an order for an inspection and request an inspector. I'm okay with this.

The truth is there is no perfect system. I would prefer a system that is more equatable and distributes the work evenly. Exactly, what that would look like and how it would work is the question. Perhaps some type of rotating assignment list.

Absent some other type of assignment system should I choose to participate in this program I guess my best bet would be to market the heck out of it to the local REA's and just make sure the request me!

Ken Brittain, CPI
Home Vue Inspection Services, llc
Inspecting Charlotte, Concord & Surrounding Cities
InterNACHI 11071502 NCHILB 3262
704-455-0482

Old 1/8/18, 1:31 PM

Nick
I would most likely pitch this program to the agents that already use me on a regular basis. I would think that if they end up selling the house too, they would want me to do the buyers inspection. Is there any reason for me not to do that inspection?
Old 1/9/18, 5:01 PM

Nick,

If I remember correctly, I read in others posts that each pre-listing inspection has to be approved. If this will still be the case when the program officially starts:
1. Who will have to submit for that approval? Us or the agents?
2. How will approval submitting be done?
3. What will the criteria be to be approved or not approved?
4. If a house does not get approved, don't you think that will anger those agents?
5. How long will the approval process take? It will have to be extremely fast.
6. Will you be properly staffed to handle the quick influx off mass requests for approvals?

Thank you
Old 1/11/18, 1:09 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
Nick,

If I remember correctly, I read in others posts that each pre-listing inspection has to be approved.
You may have read it, but it wasn't anything we posted and so I don't think your 6 questions apply.
Old 1/11/18, 1:13 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
In my experience the majority of REA's haven't and never will promote listing inspections. Let alone pay for them. Especially in the present "hot" market.
But they all did already. The way a real estate agent feeds his/her family is to get more and more leads and then work those leads until they generate commission checks. A hot real estate lead is worth way more than the cost of the inspection to an agent and so it has nothing to do with how hot the market is, it's just a math equation. If the leads are worth more to an agent than the cost of the listing inspection or the trouble it takes to convince a seller to pay for it.... they'll do them. BTW: The leads are worth more... and the agents in the beta test all came to that same conclusion and brought us more listing inspections (mostly from seller's willing to pay for them).

Last edited by gromicko; 1/11/18 at 1:18 PM..
Need a home inspection in Mississippi? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Mississippi certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/11/18, 3:04 PM

In our market and I believe it is so in most markets, if a home owner knows of some deficiency in his home for sale, he must disclose the deficiency in the sellers disclosure. this would mean that whatever we find in the home inspection would have to be included in the sellers disclosure. Is this going to interfere with the posted option for potential buyers to purchase the report? Are you asking that the seller not disclose the information but rather ask the buyer to buy a copy of the report? If so, I think this will be problematic. Please advise.

I am very interested in offering this system to agents in my market, so please give a time line so I can prepare to market the system. Also are there any marketing materials already made up for this?
Old 1/11/18, 3:16 PM
Active Poster

A seller's duty to disclose isn't affected by this. What does change is failure-to-disclose lawsuits. This all but eliminates them.