Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Special Deals for InterNACHI Inspectors This forum is a place for InterNACHI home inspectors and vendors to post special discounts and exclusive offers. This forum is publicly visible, but only InterNACHI home inspectors can enjoy the discounts. You must have vendor membership status to post on InterNACHI's deals forum. To become an vendor member, apply today.

Old 1/12/18, 10:01 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Re: InterNACHI's Free Listing Inspections Program: Answers to Frequently-Asked Questi

Nick is correct about the use of PDFs, it is the standard file format that Realtors use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
A seller's duty to disclose isn't affected by this. What does change is failure-to-disclose lawsuits. This all but eliminates them.
This may have been answered before, but how does it eliminate failure to disclose lawsuits? Maybe I should read the FAQs first

Reading the FAQs:
"Q: If InterNACHI® pays for the inspection, are you going to sell my client's data?
A: InterNACHI® is your client. And, yes, we may sell or trade OUR information – not yours – to help perpetually fund the program. "

What is OUR information and what is YOURS, has this been defined yet?

question 54 typo "Q: Is there going to be a formal announcemnt about this program?"

Last edited by jdeoliveira2; 1/12/18 at 10:44 PM..
Need a home inspection in Mississippi? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Mississippi certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/13/18, 12:06 PM
Active Poster

Default Re: InterNACHI's Free Listing Inspections Program: Answers to Frequently-Asked Questi

Quote:
This may have been answered before, but how does it eliminate failure to disclose lawsuits?
. Seller or agent in court as defendants: "Your Honor, not only did we provide a seller's disclosure disclosing everything we knew, we had an inspector inspect the property and made that report available, and we told the buyer to do their own inspection."
Old 1/13/18, 12:08 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
What is OUR information and what is YOURS, has this been defined yet?
No different than the world is now. If InterNACHI pays for an inspection, then InterNACHI is the client and a client is free to share his/her information or sell it or do nothing with it.
Old 1/13/18, 12:57 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

[QUOTE=jdeoliveira2;1830752]Nick is correct about the use of PDFs, it is the standard file format that Realtors use.

Only after they access the information via the Internet which uses the HTML format.

Ken Brittain, CPI
Home Vue Inspection Services, llc
Inspecting Charlotte, Concord & Surrounding Cities
InterNACHI 11071502 NCHILB 3262
704-455-0482

Old 1/13/18, 3:42 PM

I get your point Nick, it is another layer of due diligence. Still does not make intentional hiding of a defect go away, but that would be difficult for a buyer to prove anyways.

As far as the who owns what, the question was regarding to the buyers of the reports information. It does not seem like too much, considering the big picture, that InterNACHI uses the customer information.

To all the people with privacy concerns, I get it, and agree with you, but proportionality should be considered. If you visit a website your computer could be compromised, and all the information can, and does, go elsewhere. I have heard that sites like Google, Microsoft, have been infected.

So illegal data mining is common. The only preventative for that is not having or being around electronic devices.

If your concern is legal data mining, and overreach, then efforts should be focused on the legal system and politics. Complaining about it on the MB is not that productive.
Old 1/13/18, 4:02 PM

Ken,
HTML is considered a file type, but I would wager that none-zip-nada of the millions of RE transactions in the US directly use it. HTML is extrememly flexible. PDF files are used for a variety of reasons, but mostly it is more secure and stable. Even with a PDF writer it is a pain to change your own documents. That is a good characteristic for a document of value, like a home inspection report. Or would you prefer your inspection reports to be easily morphed?

Ken, I use Home Gauge and their upload/HTML service as well. In order for them to have control, the client needs to visit their website. If the HTML report was on your personal website, it could easily be hacked. The minor advantages are outweighed by major disadvantages IMO.

It is simple to send off a PDF file from desktop HG.
Old 1/13/18, 5:08 PM

Thanks for your commentary and opinions.

I only asked a simple question would it be available in HTML format and Nick in his usual style had to justify why it was not after all we know he likes to debate and cherry pick his response.

Ken Brittain, CPI
Home Vue Inspection Services, llc
Inspecting Charlotte, Concord & Surrounding Cities
InterNACHI 11071502 NCHILB 3262
704-455-0482

Old 1/13/18, 5:42 PM

I have a couple of thoughts and questions that I haven't seen a clear answer to.

A homeowner gets their free inspection and it has issues identified. Said homeowner repairs all of the issues and pays full price for a followup inspection....Is the first "Free" Inspection linked to the listing or can the follow up "Clear" inspection be linked to the listing?
If the original inspection that shows the issues is still linked to the listing, what good would a follow up inspection be? Anyone who downloads the original inspection would be less likely to be interested in the house. That would be a hard sell for any follow up re-inspections.

Could I market they first pay me for an inspection, then, after they make all of the repairs, apply for their free inspection so the better inspection is linked to their listing?

Say I market they pay me for the first inspection and they like the inspection as it is. Can they apply for the free inspection, request me, have InterNACHI pay me my fee and I refund the client and upload my original report?

I am going to sign up as soon as I can and see how it works out. I think this could be a great system....MANY of the realtors I work with already insist the seller get a pre-listing inspection!!! They are eager to get their hands on this new incentive....

Thanks!

Rob Learmont
856-272-6966
Your Forever Home Services LLC
yourforeverhomeservices.com
Facebook "Your Forever Home Services"
Home improvement Contractor #13HV09597800
New Jersey Home Inspector #24GI00160000

Last edited by rlearmont; 1/13/18 at 5:52 PM..
Old 1/15/18, 12:20 AM
Active Poster

Quote:
A homeowner gets their free inspection and it has issues identified. Said homeowner repairs all of the issues and pays full price for a followup inspection....Is the first "Free" Inspection linked to the listing or can the follow up "Clear" inspection be linked to the listing?
If the original inspection that shows the issues is still linked to the listing, what good would a follow up inspection be? Anyone who downloads the original inspection would be less likely to be interested in the house. That would be a hard sell for any follow up re-inspections.
We already do that on every pre-inspection where repairs are made. Often the seller just attaches the paid repair bills to the report and we can do that.
Old 1/15/18, 12:21 AM
Active Poster

Quote:
MANY of the realtors I work with already insist the seller get a pre-listing inspection!!! They are eager to get their hands on this new incentive....
Yep.
Old 1/15/18, 2:02 PM

This is truly marketing genius, and I rarely use that term.

Kudos for the attempt to change a whole industries business approach.
Old 1/17/18, 6:08 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
This is truly marketing genius, and I rarely use that term.

Kudos for the attempt to change a whole industries business approach.
Thanks!
Old 1/19/18, 12:46 PM

WHEN do we get to start using this system?
Need a home inspection in Mississippi? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Mississippi certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/19/18, 2:08 PM
Active Poster

A few ASHI members are taking steps to stop the program. One upcoming hearing is in NJ and anther in TX. We have to fight them off first.
Old 1/22/18, 10:17 AM
Emmanuel J. Scanlan, TREC# 7593 Emmanuel J. Scanlan, TREC# 7593 is offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
A few ASHI members are taking steps to stop the program. One upcoming hearing is in NJ and anther in TX. We have to fight them off first.
Is the Texas one you are referring to this one here?

Data mining and PORCH under fire in Texas?

Awards Committee Member

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final
authority of issuance of any award the committee offers.

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

TREC License# 7593
ICC Residential Combination Inspector #5247015-R5 (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Building)

Professional Real Estate Inspections for the counties of Collin, Rockwall, Hunt, Dallas, Tarrant, Kaufman and all surrounding areas. If you want the the best you will find it with PS Inspection & Property Services LLC!