Alberta Regulation Committee

Nick came in on Dec 17, We had a meeting where 80% of Alberta NACHI members in attendance.
We discussed the need for government control of our industry. The consciences was the less the better. Nick’s presentation covered most aspects of this business: marketing, inspection procedures, completion, software, and finally what do we want that is best for the industry.
Capri’s proposed control was not acceptable. If CAPHI wants to follow a certain set of procedures that’s for them to decide for their members. Their methods etc. are not what we want.
The next morning Nick and I attended the Home Inspection Business Regulation Advisory Committee.
Nick addressed the committee for over an hour. It was brilliant.
He explained the experience the various states had with the different levels of control from none to the maximum that Texas has. He covered the pitfalls to avoid and why. Most of the committee was very receptive to what he said.
The CAPHI members did not look pleased that we were there.

The committee is in the research phase and CAPHI is premature in announcing that the regulations are going to do this or that.
Nothing! I repeat absolutely nothing has been proposed let along decided and the whole thing could go south. It could also go for complete and total micromanaged rules and regulations.

After Nicks brilliant presentation we left the committee to digest what they had heard.

At 5:30PM the Chairman of the committee phoned me and informed me that the committee had voted to have a NACHI representative on the committee and asked for my Resume for Ministerial approval.
Following that approval I will be representing NACHI on the Alberta advisory committee.

Thank you, Nick You did it and it would not have happened without you.

Way to go Nick and Vern

Way to Go!!!

Excellent job fellows…this will be good eye opener and representation for Alberta. At least now people will get the FACTS:D :smiley:

Thanks to all who attended, your presence helps make a statement, and especially to Nick and Vern.
GIT-ER-DONE

GREAT NEWS

Is there a similar meeting in the works in Ontario?

Cheers

**CONGRATULATIONS VERN! **
This is exactly the kind of involvement we need to get the NACHI side of things represented.
Great job!

Fantastic!

Doug go to
http://www.nachi.org/forum/showpost.php?p=122104&postcount=1
and read the info there .

Cookie

Trip was very worthwhile. Congrats Vern.

A big thanks to all and thank you Nick for making a trip to Canada so close to Christmas and you strong support of Canada.

Cookie

Hi, I want to ask a question and get input from other who read the forum.

I am not for/against licencing or gvt involment in some sort of regulation of the industry. I have heard good and bad on both side of the issue but for my 2 cents worth and I know the lawyers would freak at this suggestion. But here goes.

If the gvt wants to get involved in regulation in an attempt to protect consumers through entrenching a standards of practice in law or licensing. Then I believe they should also get involed in protecting HI from frivolus lawsuits brought by people. It has to be a two way street. Either protect us by changing current civil law to enforce abritration and mediation before they can start a lawsuit or creat an special entity to deal with these types of issues.

Steven

Steven! Lock all the doors and turn out the lights there are twelve bus loads of lawyers heading your way right now!:shock:

Hy Steven I would love to here what you think is good about the National Certification.
I am not trying to make fun or ridicule you but would be interested in you input.
Hope we see you on Dec 30th .

Cookie

If the gvt wants to get involved in regulation in an attempt to protect consumers through entrenching a standards of practice in law or licensing. Then I believe they should also get involed in protecting HI from frivolus lawsuits brought by people. It has to be a two way street. Either protect us by changing current civil law to enforce abritration and mediation before they can start a lawsuit or creat an special entity to deal with these types of issues.

Very valid point something that can be worked on.
In the long run arbitration may even lower E&O costs if disputes can be settled before getting to the insurance companies.

Steven,
if memory serves me right, I believe that Raymond Wand has stated for years now that if gvt.licensing comes into play that it be combined with a gvt. liability ceiling of say 500K. That should also greatly reduce the E&O insurance premiums.
Best regards
Wolf

Just found out today that the minister has signed off on me and I am now on the committee. 2007.03.26

Thanks Vern Glad for you and the Home Inspection industry.
It is the effort put forward by people like you who help all home inspectors every where.
I do not know what I can do to help but I am here for all .
Good luck and keep up the good work

Roy Cooke
NACHI Rocks

Congrats Vern!

Vern, and Nick, et al. Congratulations, that is fantastic news! Good on ya’s!

Steven and Wolf,

As to government involvement in Ontario if licencing should occur we should definetly lobby to have our liability capped. That should ensure lower insurance premiums, well maybe. :wink: But we should not sit idlely by. As you may be aware the movement in Ontario is for one self regulating body to bring everyone under licencing to their tune. Now would you really want to be controlled by people like that? :slight_smile:

At-ta boy Vern…nice to have a voice right at the top!