Alberta requires HI's to be licenced

Realtors are advising their clients not to hire HI’s if they are not licensed.
If anyone knows the source of this misinformation Please let me know.
I have suspections but need proof.
There is no licensing required in this province.
The government is studying it but have not acted yet.
If in the next few days when you are talking to Realtors ask them what they have heard and the source of this info.

Vern Mitchinson CMI
President
Alberta NACHI Chapter.
info@hcil.ca

Good luck Vern. We have a similar situation in this part of the country. The local C.A.P.H.I. drone is going around telling realtors that the only inspectors who are ‘certified’ to do inspection in Ontario have been put through the national process. Probably a similar situation out there. Just keep pluggin away and the realtors will soon realize who is telling the truth and who is . . .er . . .not.

George

That would be impossible for the drone to be recommending as there are inadequate numbers to fullfill the the task.

So far there are only 100 or so Nat. Cert. inspectors accross Canada. But with the expected 5000 inspectors rushing out to be Certified that void will be filled and the drone would be right in his opinions. :wink: :slight_smile:

Please read my post. The rumour is license not certification. I’ve got the certification covered but not the license BS.

Sorry Vern. I guess I was not clear enough. My point was that I’ll bet that you too have a ‘drone’ of one type or another giving out this missinformation for their own benefit.

Vern, I have a newletter to Realtors published by CAHPI that states; and I QUOTE

PROVINCIAL LICENSING of Home Inspectors is in the Works!

The Alberta government and CAHPI (Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors) are currently working on regulations that will require all Home & Property Inspectors to be licensed. The new licensing requirements will require extensive education and experience. (Stay tuned- check our website regularly - more information available soon)

I have the whole document but I can’t get it to load in a pdf. It says the file is too big? I can probably email it to you if your interested.

Vern, I sent that pdf to you in an email moments ago…you should have it. Check it out,…is that the proof you need?

Thanks.

Just read it. they even put in a plug for their associates. Assocates are not certified but are promoted by CAPHI Alberta.

Bring copies for Nick. We will have to set the record straight by a mail out to all the Realtors.
Maybe a news conference.

Darrell asked me to post this. I couldn’t upload it properly so here is the contents of the document verbatim.

** Newsletter to Realtors
** PROVINCIAL LICENSING of Home Inspectors is in the Works!
The Alberta government and CAHPI (Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors) are currently working on regulations that will require all Home & Property Inspectors to be licensed. The new licensing requirements will require extensive education and experience. (Stay tuned - check our website regularly - more infonnation available soon)

** CAHPI 2006 National Home Inspectors Conference is in Calgary**

CAHPI Alberta is hosting the 13thAnnual Home Inspectors’ Conference. The conference will be held November 24 -26, 2006 at the Sheraton Eau Claire Suites, Calgary. Realtors are welcome to attend. Infonnation is available on our website www.cahpialberta.com

Of special interest to realtors is our special guest on Saturday, November 25 - Mike Holmes of HGTV, Holmes on HomesTM
presentation will start at 10:00 and will be followed by a meet and greet during lunch.

Realtors and any interested persons are welcome to attend the conference or just the Mike Holmes presentation - registration forms are availableon our website www.cahpi-alberta.com

** N****ational Certification Program will soon be formally launched**

The National Certification Program means the perfonnance of home inspectors will be judged against an approved standard, leading
to pride of workmanship for the inspectors, and consistent, high quality inspection services for Canadian property owners.

CAHPI, in collaboration with CMHC, HRDC and other interested players in the inspection industry, took a giant step forward about 10 years ago and started the initiative to set up the certification, licensing and performance standards. Several Alberta home inspectors were part of the pilot program and now have some of the first certificates to be granted.

Many groups will benefit from the National Certification Program, including home and property inspectors, owners, the real estate industry, mortgage lenders, insurance organizations, and others.

More infonnation will be released from CAHPI National shortly. www.cahpi.ca

** CAHPI =A Professional Home Inspection

The CAHPI has established the most wisely recognized standard for quality home inspections nationwide.

To become a member of one of the provincial organizations of CAHPI, an inspector must meet rigorous professional and educational requirements followed by a review. They must adhere to the association’s code of ethics that demands fairness and impartiality towards clients. To stay current with the profession, CAHPI inspectors are required to meet annual continued education requirements. These are essential to maintaining the high standards that the provincial organization has set for their membership.

** For the Consumer**, this means peace of mind and more protection for them. They can be assured that when they retain a CAHPI
member to inspect their home, that they are hiring a professional with proven ability, experience and impartiality.

Our website hosts an up to date list of all Registered Home Inspectors (RHI) and Associates in Alberta.
www.cahpi-alberta.com

Here is the letter.