Attention Ontario Inspectors - Immediate Concern

The following information was passed on to me by Terry Carson. The OAHI Technical Review Committee will study and release an official safety notice on the impact of this Act on its members. In light of the effective date – I felt obliged to pass this along immediately, and hope that you may consider sharing this with others.

Ontario Regulation 627/05 made under the Occupational Health and Safety Act comes into effect on April 1, 2006.
Reference link:
http://www.elaws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Source/Regs/English/2005/R05627_e.htm

Executive Summary for Home Inspectors
83. Every reasonable precaution shall be taken to prevent hazards to workers from energized electrical equipment, installations and conductors.

1. (1) This section applies instead of section 190 if work is to be done on or near energized exposed parts of electrical equipment or of an electrical installation or conductor and,
    (a) it is not reasonably possible to disconnect the equipment,
    installation or conductor from the power supply before working on or near the energized exposed parts;
    (b) the equipment, installation or conductor is rated at a
    nominal voltage of 600 volts or less, and disconnecting the equipment, installation or conductor would create a greater hazard to a worker than proceeding without disconnecting it; or
    © the work consists only of diagnostic testing of the
    equipment, installation or conductor.

(2) Subsection (10) applies, in addition to subsections (3) to (9), if the equipment, installation or conductor is nominally rated at,

(a) greater than 400 amperes and greater than 200 volts; or
(b) greater than 200 amperes and greater than 300 volts.

(3) Only a worker who meets the requirements of clause 182 (1) (a) or (b) shall perform the work.

(Note: Clause 182 specifies that the worker must hold a certificate of qualification as an electrician.)

Great Information Claude .
I would think Terry and others have studdied this for a few days .
Did They come up with and thoughts or ideas on how this could
effect home inspectors and do they have any recommendations
on how HIs should handle this .
Thanks for forwarding this info it will be well received by all .

Roy Cooke… Royshomeinspection.com

Thanks for the info Claude,

(2) Subsection (10) applies, in addition to subsections (3) to (9), if the equipment, installation or conductor is nominally rated at,
(a) greater than 400 amperes and greater than 200 volts; or
(b) greater than 200 amperes and greater than 300 volts.

This may only be a problem for inspectors who conduct commercial property inspections. You won’t find many residences, with the above specs.

I appreciate you keeping us up to speed Claude.

If “work” is to be done.

We are not working on panels we are inspecting them. Removing a cover plate to inspect in my opinion should not be considered to be working on the panel.

I do not disagree, but perhaps a few past experiences have proven otherwise. That is why this issue will not go away, or it becomes a matter of time before an inspector is fined, or worst yet critically hurt.

Yes and we are not supposed to go on roofs without adequate tie off and harness. Yet we all know those who do and do not take the safety requirements necessary.

We are not supposedly to open furnaces either. But we all do it.

It is so unfortunate that many just do not understand how serious Electricity is . I had two Union Bothers (Both experienced electricians) very seriously injured recently at the Toronto EX . They are still of work and might never work again . I was working at a mine near Elliot lake when a slip with screw driver put two more electricians in the hospital for a long time . If qualified electricians who work with electricity all the time can have things go wrong why can we expect it to not happen to HIs.

I opened a panel at an industrial site and a loose piece inside the panel moved caught my hair on fire and burned up about 300 feet of cable before I got the power turned off . This was only 208 volts.
This is just a couple of examples so please remember it is a dangerous world out there please be carefull .
Remember to always use your left had to open or close all switches . Saved me once when the disconnect exploded and the cover went over my left shoulder in stead of my face again ony 208 volts.

Roy Cooke sr. Royshomeinspection.com

As a former Firefighter and my wife a Burn Nurse, I also take electricity very seriously. Unfortunately, accidents can happen even to experienced professionals.