Bad TV Renovation

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/divine-design-home-renovation-candice-olson-1.3953001

’Divine Design’ TV renovationcaused mould in family room, homeowner says .

Looks like some TV shows do a very poor job on a renovation .
Too many pictures to post .
‘Divine Design’ TV renovation caused mould in family room,homeowner says
Thornhill woman believes TV show reno caused extensive mouldin 2009
By Michelle Cheung, CBCPosted: Jan 27, 2017 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Jan 27, 2017 5:00 AM ET

Jyoti Parmar points to the area where she found a hole inthe drywall exposing a drain pipe. She believes a TV home renovation teammistakenly drilled holes in that pipe, causing it to leak. (Michelle Cheung/CBCNews)
It was the room Jyoti Parmar was most proud of— her family room featured on the now defunct home renovation show DivineDesign, hosted by renowned interior designer Candice Olson.
But now Parmar is frustrated, becauseshe recently discovered extensive mould damage in the room. damageshe believes was caused by the TV show team.

Parmar found black mould behind the banquette. The hole inthe drywall that exposed the drain is between the two two-by-fours in thecorner. (Jyoti Parmar)
“It’s not something I would really show off anymore… It’s really tarnished the whole experience.”
After Parmar and her husband boughttheir Thornhill home in 2005, she applied to appear on Divine Design.
In 2009, the show agreed to renovate Parmar’s family room.
“We thought we had won the lottery. It was soexciting,” said the mother of three. “They took out everything, so itwas a total gut of the room. They took out the carpeting, the mirror. Theyreplaced the flooring, they redid the bar area to modernize it.”

Parmar’s family room before Candice Olson’s TV reno showrenovated it. (Divine Design)

Parmar’s family room after Candice Olson’s re-design andrenovation. (Divine Design )

Her kids’ favourite area was the banquette for sixOlson designed with a padded charcoal grey tufted backrest.
“We loved what she did. We never would have dreamt of adesign like this for our family room,” said the stay-at-home mother.
But this past December, Parmar and her husband discoveredwater damage in the basement under the family room.

The hole in the drywall exposing the second-floor drainpipe. (Jyoti Parmar)
They say a plumber traced the leak to thestack behind the banquette. He and Parmar removed the padding for thefirst time since the 2009 renovation.
“Clear as day, there’s a hole in the drywall. You couldsee the second floor pipe coming down from the bathroom,” saidParmar. “It was exposed and he looked at it, and right away, he said,‘Those are drill holes in your pipe.’ And I was shocked. I thought, 'Why wouldthere be drill holes in the pipe?”’

You can see drill holes in the pipe where sewage and waterfrom the second-floor bathroom is believed to have drained and leaked foryears. (Jyoti Parmar)
The punctured drain pipe flushes all the waste water fromthe second floor bathroom, which Parmar believes has been slowly leaking sinceOlson’s renovation.
“I was just horrified. I was shocked because I’veseen little bits of black mould around bathtubs and things like that but I’venever seen so much of this black stain,” she said.
“I have three kids, and just thinking that theywere sitting on that banquette, on the seating with that right behindthem, and when someone used the washroom upstairs that water could have beenseeping behind the banquette, it’s very troubling.”

A screen grab from the episode featuring Parmar’s familyroom with Candice Olson standing in the banquette area. There’s no hole in thedrywall before the team painted the wall. (Divine Design)

Later in the episode, as the team prepares to put up theshelving over the banquette, you can see there’s a hole the size of agrapefruit in the drywall. (Divine Design )
Parmar said she reviewed the episode to find any clues aboutwhat might have happened:
Before the drywall was primed, the video shows there’s nohole in the drywall. After the team installed the framing for the banquet,there’s a grapefruit size hole in the drywall at the same level as the supportsfor a shelf above the banquette.
Parmar believes someone from the show mistakenly drilledinto the pipe and water has been slowly leaking behind the banquette all thattime.
“They didn’t reveal it to us. Had they even told usduring the show, ‘We made this hole in the pipe,’ we would have definitelytried to work together to have it repaired.”
She estimates it will cost about $15,000 to clean up themould, replace the drywall, banquette and flooring.
Olson continues to feature Parmar’s family room on hertwitter feed and in a coffee table book.
CBC Toronto has made repeated requests for comment fromOlson through her publicist, and through social media, but she has notresponded.
CBC Toronto also contacted Fusion Television, the productioncompany behind the show, for comment.
“I have responded to Jyoti in multiple emails andnothing further to add,” wrote Angela Jennings, the company’s executiveproducer.
Jennings said a contractor calledMatz Renovations was responsible for the work, but when contacted byCBC Toronto, the firm said its work was already completed before thebanquette wall work was done,
“I just find that even now, following up with thepeople involved, there’s a lack of integrity. There’s not that, ‘Oh my gosh, Ican’t believe this happened. I’m going to look into it,’” said Parmar.