What a BCIPI Inspector says about NACHI

**http://www.theco.ca/page168.htm

**Special Note: [FONT=Arial]Many people believe that because the home is new there will be no appreciable problems.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]They tend to discount the fact that all problem houses were once new. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Don’t put too much stock in the Warranty, it’s mostly just a marketing device. [/FONT]

How to choose a qualified inspector

** a. Associations**
i) British Columbia Institute of Property Inspectors (BCIPI) - ASTT- independent certification body
§[FONT=‘Times New Roman’] [/FONT]Certified Property Inspectors “CPI” - commercial and residential
§[FONT=‘Times New Roman’] [/FONT]Certified Home Inspectors “CHI” - residential
ii) Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors - self certified
§[FONT=‘Times New Roman’] [/FONT]Registered Home Inspectors “RHI”
[FONT=Arial]**Consumers should not be confused by home inspector “certifications” offered by, or sold by home inspection trade societies or companies, obtained via home study courses, or provided by home inspection companies that certify their own home inspectors. **[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Note:[/FONT][FONT=Arial] There is a new association out of the US called the ****National Association of Certified Home Inspectors. NACHI “****certification” is granted after a one-hour, extremely easy, online quiz. No experience or training is necessary; you can even get a friend with a construction background to take the test for you! It’s becoming a very popular way to fast-track into this lucrative level of the home inspection business. NACHI “certification” (Certified Home Inspector) is only recognized within the NACHI organization. Steady work is **guaranteed **because some real estate agents prefer NACHI inspectors for referral. [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Check out their website at www.NACHI.org for the lowdown on this u[FONT=Arial]nprofessional, aggressive organization. For instance: “Take a roofing inspection course in your pajamas” , free 8hr Mold Certification, free commercial Inspection course using Porter Valley Software, IAQ, etc.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]

• DEBRIEF: *The Early Edition’s *Rick Cluff speaks with CBC Radio reporter Dana Bales.

http://vancouver.cbc.ca/gfx/icon_audio.gif](http://vancouver.cbc.ca/clips/Vancouver/ram-audio/bc_bales_030627.ram)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial]Note: One of my clients was curious about NACHI “Certification” and took their online test, this is what he wrote:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Courier New] “My professional background is in academics and computing science. I have no professional background in construction, electrical, plumbing, or home inspection. I am generally handy around the house and can identify the business end of most tools, but I am certainly nowhere near qualified to perform a proper home inspection myself (I have hired Ted Gilmour to perform a home inspection for me on more than one occasion).
I took the free online NACHI “Certification” test. I wrote the entire one-hour test in 20 minutes and answered questions off the top of my head, with no additional research. I nearly passed the test with a final score of 71 (passing is 75). It is frightening that someone with my background could come so close to a passing grade; had I used the remaining 40 minutes that I had to do some research on the web, I’m certain I would have passed.”

Chris

See link above for more.

[/FONT][/FONT]

Boy has this guy got an ego or what?

http://www.theco.ca/page130.htm

What are the Industry Standards? He doesn’t elaborate, I wonder why.

Here’s what CMHC has to say.

***"What are the home inspector’s qualifications?
*Look for people who belong to a provincial association and who have taken some courses, such as defect recognition, building sciences or civil engineering, for example. Professional home inspectors are bound by a strict code of ethics and must adhere to specific standards of practice. Home inspectors should have a general understanding of all the various systems and components in a home. Many have practical experience or a background in engineering, construction and related building trades.
Keep in mind that at this time, anyone can become a member of a home inspection association. Many associations have different levels of membership. Being an association member does not necessarily mean that a member has successfully completed the certification process. Check to make sure that the inspector has successfully completed the association’s certification process."

Sound familiar?
Then they have this disclaimer at the bottom.
*“CMHC does not recommend or endorse any individual home inspector or association. CMHC does encourage and support the private home inspection industry to establish national uniform standards of competency. For more information on the inspection industry’s national initiative please refer to the CMHC Research Highlight Canadian Home Inspectors and Building Officials National Initiatve Phase Two: Development of National Certification and Accreditation Models on CMHC’s website…”

Looks like they just did.

I was going to send this to the named inspector at above link as well as file a complaint with BCIPI.

I have just finnished reviewing your comments at the following link:

http://www.theco.ca/page168.htm

I am dismayed at what you claim to be truthful facts. I have been a Home Inspector since 1991. For instance CAHPI is a self regulating body which is not legislated which reports to itself and accredits its members. Just as OAHI does, just as ASHI does. And had you check the facts you would also find that NACHI has required a passing score of 80% and has for sometime. They also front end the entrance requirements, not as CAHPI and OAHI and ASHI do by granting membership first. NACHI has also is well known for its educational requirements and continuing educational credits. Its information base is second to none.

I think your professional attitude towards any association not acceptable to your standards is blasphemous against the home inspecton industry overall. Can you actually substantiate your claims as you allude to on your website, other then the person “Chris” you are relying on to provide you a story?

I am a Registered Home Inspector in Ontario (RHI) (OAHI) and I am also a member of NACHI (CHI) and a full Member of ASHI. I can tell you that many of your statements and opinions are totally unwarranted and factually wrong. Does your association condone your professionally lacking attitude?
As a member of all three associations your comments do not hold any credibility because you have just painted me and my colleagues who belong to more then one professional associaton with the same brush.

It appears you do not fully understand the industry nor do you appear to understand the current state of affairs of the industry particularly with CAHPI and National Certification.

I trust in the future you will endeavour to be objective in your assessment and address the erroneous subjective opinions you seem to harbour.

Thank you.

Raymond Wand NACHI OAHI ASHI CHIFI

You forgot " and member of C.F.I.H.I"
Go for it Raymond. It is about time the “Empire” struck back!

Despite being open book, NACHI’s entrance exam flunks 2/3rds of all takers. The average score is some 14 points away from passing:

http://exams.nachi.org/stats.php

Furthermore, the exam alone is but one of NACHI’s requirements:

http://www.nachi.org/rigorous2006.htm

Ray

Your letter is too kind to this idiot.However I would not waste my time, a response would dignify his post.

My thought’s

Mario

I am not going to send the letter, the NACHI members in BC can look after themselves! We have enough problems here in Ontario.

It certainly appears that the NACHI members in BC are wasting their time with National Certification because it most certainly appears BCIPI/ASTT has the ear of the government regarding licencing. If that is the case why would anyone waste their time getting Nationally Cert. it would not make sense. Come to think of it a lot of things don’t make sense! :wink: :slight_smile: It also show that CAHPI has been relegated to the back seat. I guess with BCIPI those 5000 inspectors who will be Nationally Certified by 2007 will again make the pie much smaller. Don’t you love it? :slight_smile: