CAHPI National Letter

Very Interesting

**May 2nd, 2010
Letter of intent to CAHPI National
**[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]We are writing on behalf of a large group of former NCA members, National Certificate Holders, training providers and stakeholders that share a common objective. Under our proposal we ask that CAHPI relinquish the National Certification Program into the care of those considerate and concerned “program” supporters.
We believe the following presents our united position regarding both “the problem” and our “proposed solution” to the current state of affairs. We therefore urge that you consider the option of either releasing the National Certification Program to our truly independent national certification body, or alternatively accept that CAHPI’s actions have precipitated the need to reconstitute the original values and ideals, and commitment to said “program” under a parallel program and will concede on its resolution and honour and respect the original agreements and administration under an independent certification entity.
[/size][/FONT]**Maintaining the National Certification Program for Home and Property Inspectors
**[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]The Problem:
For a decade, leaders from across the private home inspection industry have worked with government and other stakeholders to raise the professionalism of the industry and, in so doing, to better protect consumer’s interests. In part, this was to be accomplished by establishing a voluntary, industry-led, non-aligned, consistent and national certification of industry practitioners. To that end, national certification and accreditation models were developed and implemented that would lead to a recognizable and credible private home inspection industry and increased worker mobility between jurisdictions. The final result was the National Certification Program (NCP).
The framework for national certification of Canadian home and property inspectors under a National Certification Program was developed and tested. With its eight major components – (1) governance, (2) financial, (3) administrative, (4) certification, (5) accreditation, (6) TIPR (Test Inspection with Peer Review) exam, (7) communication and (8) equivalency - it was released for implementation by a National Certification Authority (NCA) in July 2006.
The Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors National (CAHPI National) was entrusted to implement and administer the National Certification Program (NCP) on behalf of all private home inspectors. [/size][/FONT]**This implementation was established by an elected body comprised of National Certificate Holders (NCH). The governance and structural elements of the NCP were based on “Criteria for Accreditation of Personnel Certification Bodies”, CSA Standard CAN-P-9. **[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]A National Certification Authority (NCA) with various Councils and Committees was established to operate at arm’s-length to manage and control the certification and accreditation processes for home inspectors seeking National Certificate Holder (NCH) status and to recognize successful candidates.
By adhering to the requirements of CAN-P-9, the NCP process was to have been fair and independent of vested interests. The result to date has been a very successful program which continued to grow; there are over 400 registered National Certificate Holders in Canada and over 60 Candidates from across Canada waiting to take their TIPR. However, as CAHPI National existed at the pleasure of its provincial or regional chapters, the provincial associations decided in April 2010 to abolish the NCP and transfer the NCA’s administration to CAHPI Provincial Chapters.
This action presents serious and immediate problems for the industry and for housing stakeholders:

1. An independent national body dedicated to the professionalization of the private home inspection profession no longer exists. With no delineation between an association and an independent certifying authority, it should be expected that each provincial body will strive to regain control of their disparate certification and accreditation processes.
    [/size][/FONT] 
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]2. The possibility of National Certification will not be universal, if available at all; only members of CAHPI Chapters can be considered. The CAHPI directive states “The provincial or regional chapters of CAHPI will maintain all national certificates until the certificates expire in 2011[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=1](Ref 1)[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2].” National Certificate Holders will be absorbed into the CAHPI Provincial associations. Provincial associations regain the power to determine whether or not an individual should be within the National Certification Program and to determine the businesses of inspection training providers.
    [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]3. As CAHPI Chapters have been unable to implement CAN-P-9 standards as the basis for the national certification model [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=1](Ref 2)[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2], any present, past or future provincially offered “national” certification will lack a clear audit path for each and every certification and accreditation. Thus, “national” no longer conforms to the requirements of the National Certification Program according to the National Occupational Standard and the ideals of the NCP model [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=1](Ref 2)[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2].
    [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]4. As noted in the CAHPI directive, NCH certificates will expire in 2011 and inspectorsstatus as national certificate holders or candidates will terminate. A significant number of candidates awaiting their Test Inspection with Peer Review have ultimately been trapped because of the cancellation of TIPRs, as well as the unfinished business of accreditation. [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]The NCH certificate is referenced as an acceptable credential for mandatory licensing of home inspectors in British Columbia, and has gained favourable interest in other jurisdictions. CAHPIs action serves to underscore the perception of an out of control, unprofessional industry and undermines its case for industry self-governance.
    The justly elected representatives for the National Certificate Holders were completely by-passed by CAHPI and by the specified measures of the CAHPI directive. As such the NCA never had an opportunity to address the problems or be consulted about resolution of the concerns or the CAHPI provincials recommended winding down of the National Certification Program.
  2. Important stakeholders for this industry support national uniform standards of competency for home inspectors. They do not recommend or endorse any individual home inspector or association [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=1](Ref 3)[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]. Abolition of the NCP breaks the understandings reached with and removes the support of these stakeholders and would also seem to breach CAHPI National’s financial contribution agreement with Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=1](Ref 4)[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2].
    [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]The Proposed Solution:
    The proposed solution [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=1](Ref 5) [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]to problems precipitated from the CAHPI action is to immediately re-establish the National Certification Authority and give it permanent autonomy as an incorporated national entity, independent of all home inspector association or other vested interests. In essence, this means to re-implement the National Certification Program as originally designed[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=1](Ref 6)[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2], have it administered by an independent NCA, and have all roles and responsibilities related to the National Certification Program explicitly aligned to CAN-P-9 criteria. The status of all National Certificate Holders, Candidates, and accredited course providers would revert to that existing prior to abolition by CAHPI, thus minimizing their hardship.
    A brief transition period will be required to implement these changes. It is further proposed that an independent NCA (made up of existing elected NCH’s) be placed in the care of a new certification body that agrees to be established in reasonable compliance with CAN-P-9 and with the objective of becoming recognized as a self-sustaining third party certification entity. This would be a defined short term agreement to allow the National Certification Authority time to incorporate and keep the existing process operational during the transition.
    Alternatively the “new national certification body” requests that this proposal be considered by CAHPI National and is awaiting their response.
    The failure of the CAHPI Chapter structure to support National Certification demonstrates the need for a national body, with no provincial bodies, with direct inspector inclusion from across Canada, with Directors elected from its NCH base, and with consumer protection explicit in its mission statement.
    To fulfill these objectives the “new national certification body” is prepared to reconstitute the National Certification Program and the mirror of the NCA structure with minor modifications to replicate true autonomy. Additionally the “new national certification body” will assure that the elected NCH representatives comprising the NCA be devoted to dealing strictly with a fair, open and transparent certification and accreditation process. The “new national certification body” would review and consider equivalency agreements, thus offering its members a clear path to National Certification.
    The “new national certification body” would also establish, and have verified, that its By-Laws, Policies and Procedures are in reasonable compliance with CAN-P-9.
    The mandate to implement this solution comes from consensus amongst industry leaders for a unified national body that represents the private inspection industry [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=1](Ref 8)[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]. This is further supported by an industry prepared report[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=1](Ref 9) [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]outlining a strategy to develop certification for the entire home inspection profession at a national level and to develop and implement national standards leading to industry regulation, standards of performance for training, and base qualifications for individuals entering the profession. Recognizing this and that a vast majority of practitioners do not to belong to any professional inspection association or a qualified private firm[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=1](Ref 10)[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2],the only tenable mandate for National Certification is through a truly independent national implementation body, not by provincial associations.
    References:
    [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]1.) Website Announcement - http://www.nca-anc.com/
    2.) CHIBO II Project, National Certification and Accreditation Model for Home and Property Inspectors. [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]October 2005. Construction Sector Council and CAHPI
    [/size][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]3.) Hiring a Home Inspector
    [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2], About Your House CE 35. 2010. CMHC. p.4
    4.) CMHC CAHPI National Contribution Agreement. 2006
    5.) [/size][/FONT]*[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]A Proposal for Immediate and Permanent Autonomy for the National Certification Authority. [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]April 2010. PHPIO
    6.) CHIBO II Report
    8.) CMHC industry survey and industry meeting industry. 1996
    [/size][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]9.) A Strategy to Provide Coordination of the Canadian Home Inspection Profession. *[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]June 1997.
    10.) Blueprint for a National Certification Council, February 2010
    As such we offer you until midnight Eastern Daylight Time - May 14[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=1]th[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2], 2010 to consider and respond to this proposed letter of intent.
    Regards,
    Claude Lawrenson, Bill Mullen, George Webb - Submitted on behalf of the new “National Certification Council” and 4 other elected NCA/NCH and concerned National Certification Program supporters.
    [/size][/FONT]

I thought the National Certificate Program (NCP) was dead. No sense in beating a dead horse.

From what I understand it has been revived by both CAHPI and Bill Mullen and his Group.
seems to be they all want to huge fees available .
I have been told the OAHI Office lady is no longer employed .
The story I get they have a shortage of funds at OAHI?

Nope it’s not dead. :mrgreen:

Not dead.
Just resting!:D;)

**May 2nd, 2010
Letter of intent to CAHPI National
**[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]We are writing on behalf of a large group of former NCA members, National Certificate Holders, training providers and stakeholders that share a common objective. Under our proposal we ask that CAHPI relinquish the National Certification Program into the [/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]
[size=1] [size=3]How big is a large group (10)[/size][/size]
For a decade, leaders from across the private home inspection industry have worked with government and other stakeholders to raise the professionalism of the industry and, in so doing, to better protect consumer’s interests. In part, this was to be accomplished by establishing a voluntary, industry-led, non-aligned, consistent and national certification of industry practitioners

A self appointed group who want control of the Canadian home Inspectors
The justly elected representatives for the National Certificate Holders were completely by-passed by CAHPI and by the specified measures of the CAHPI directive. As such the NCA never had an opportunity to address the problems or be consulted about resolution of the concerns or the CAHPI provincials recommended winding down of the National Certification Program.
Elected by them selves for them selves

As such we offer you until midnight Eastern Daylight Time - May 14[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=1][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=1]th[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2], 2010 to consider and respond to this proposed letter of intent.
Regards,
Claude Lawrenson, Bill Mullen, George Webb - Submitted on behalf of the new “National Certification Council” and 4 other elected NCA/NCH and concerned National Certification Program supporters.
Tell me again how you are arms length and who are the other four and who elected them .
[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2][/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2][/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]National Certification Program as originally designed[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=1][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=1](Ref 6)[/size][/size][/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2], have it administered by an independent NCA, and have all roles and responsibilities related to the National Certification Program explicitly aligned to CAN-P-9 criteria.[/size][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/size][/FONT]
Explicitly aligned to CAN-P-9 Bunk A big BUNK not even close to being aligned

10)[size=2],the only tenable mandate for National Certification is through a truly independent national implementation body, not by provincial associations.
[/size]
[size=2]Sorry many of this group have continued to try and gain control of OAHI and our industry for a long time .[/size]
[size=2]They look to me like thinking of them selves and not the Canadian Home Inspector .[/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2]Strange how we the Home Inspector get very poor answers to our questions.[/size]
[size=2]This could effect our industry and we are not part of the equations .[/size]
[size=2]Wrong we need and open to all system for deciding our future .[/size]
[size=2] We do not need a self appointed group controlling our lives .

[/size][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2][/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]
[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

Roy:
It looks like someone is making stupid posts with your name on it!:mrgreen:

Thanks for correcting that impression Doug. It looked like someone using your name for a while ! :D:shock:

[FONT=Times New Roman][size=3]Thanks Doug but I take full responsibility for these posts . There could be serious errors and if so I would love to have some one correct them.
At least Good or Bad I try and get my thoughts and information out that some how ends up in my hands.
I think much of what I post is extremely valuable and needs to be out there for all to see and make up their own minds . It is sad More do not add their thoughts to what is happening to our industry .Too many ignore or do little .
Thanks for your post Doug at least you voice you thoughts and I do wish more would do the same thing.
try to be fair and non confrontation but when Lied too or attached or evaded I do get annoyed and will show it .
Play fair and reasonable and I will support any one .
I love a fair and proper discussion unfortunately some seem to lack the ability to have one .
Attack me ,then be prepaired for it to come back big time .
Hate is not a word I like .
[/size][/FONT]

Brossard Quebec Canada, Brossard BMAinspection.com, Marc-Andre Beauchemin, I am a member of NACHI and a OACIQ, Quebec licenced Broker.
I am not a member of CAHPI, I was a member of PHPIO, (But this association I joined in 2010 no longer exists).
PHPIO without consulting members became PHPIC.

I know that much effort is invested in this but I see no need for an expensive National Certificate Program (NCP).

NACHI is my choice!

Thanks for your Post It is so unfortunate to see things work out this way .
I have no idea if the NCP could of or would have been the best for our Industry.
I and others have for 7 years tried to get information and have been stymied from the get go .
I can not understand why so much secrecy and refusal to answer questions .
A lot of time and money invested so sad .
I have had phone calls from PHPIO members who also feel the same as you .
Thanks big time for making your post .
I do hope more information comes out so all can see why I and others have suspected for so long .
I do hope an open to all meeting comes to pass in Toronto this year.
Talking to my member of Parliament he sees no reason why others are talking about Licensing in Ontario .
I personally feel this is make lots of Noise and try and convince