Be careful when buying homes once heated with oil

REAL ESTATE LAW
TheStar.com | living | Be careful when buying homes once heated with oil
Toronto Star

Before the contract was signed, there were discussions about the outside oil tank. The sellers disclosed that several years before there had been a “minor spillage” of oil in the basement before the inside tank was replaced with an outside one.

Great post I expect it will help ever one

I have found Two and reported the same .
In One case the person Bought the home insisting the owner get the contaminated soil removed . A poor home cost $69,000:00 the owner had the soil removed cost $67,000;00 .
Second time the purchaser backed out because of the Oil smell and stain I showed them in the basement .
The Owner just put a 2 inch top over the floor and told no one about it . Strange people Agents These agents have not used me since .

Lost three more agents who do not use me for
(1) finding a buried oil tank
(2) Finding two buried tanks one for diesel and the other for Furnace oil
(3) Finding a beautiful Florida room built on top of septic tank ( no permits ) $500,000;00 home .
Fortunately for me we have a lot of great agents who want a good Home Inspector .

I tell the truth always and sleep well at night… Cookie

Roy, if agents drop you for those reasons, then they aint worth a pinch-a-coon****.
Like you said, nuttin to lose sleep over.

So much for ethical, professional realtors! Some realtors have a common slogan; “Commission above all else!” :wink:

I think I’m going to put something about this issue in my inspection reports.

What do you guys (and gals) think of this?

“In light of the fact that this house was, or is heated with oil, we recommend that the sellers provide a certificate from a qualified consultant confirming that soil and groundwater of the property are free of oil, and that the property meets all applicable standards for residential use prior to close.”

Cheers

This is a important issue and many homes have this problem. Or is it a problem? If the drum is buried and leaked for years then there is a underground spill of heating oil. What is to be done and what is the requirement for reporting? I think each state/or Canada provinces handles this differently and in some its pump out and fill with sand, some its remove tank and surrounding soil. A few phone calls may reveal the correct answer. Is this out of scope or in scope for a HI? If the tank is buried outside and no longer connected to the house, is it excluded from the inspection?

I am interested in the comments that will follow this thread.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/oiltanks/tanks.htm <— some helpful info

Curt

bump!

Without any evidence, smell, stains, pipes, etc. I personally would not make such a recommendation.

I agree you could close a lot of doors with making a statement that is not necessary.
… Cookie

In NS, about 3 of 4 homes is heated principally by oil. Imagine using that statement here!!!

Thanks for the input

It was just a thought-- but I guess it would do if there were stains or smell?

Cheers