CMHC recommending CAHPI National

Hiring a Home Inspector

Find out about any potential problems before you buy

Buying a home is one of the most expensive and important decisions you will ever make.
But unlike most other major purchases, when it comes to buying a house, there are no
return policies or money-back guarantees.

A professional home inspector can help you find out as much as possible about a home’s
condition, livability and safety before you sign on the dotted line. To help you make more
informed decisions – and keep unpleasant surprises to a minimum – Canada Mortgage and
Housing Corporation (CMHC) has several tips for finding and selecting a qualified home
inspector, including:

• Check association Websites, the yellow pages and housing trade magazines to find a home inspector in your area who meets the CAHPI national certification standards.

These national occupational standards of competency for Home and Property Inspectors were developed by the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (CAHPI), with support from CMHC, Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC), and the Construction Sector Council (CSC). You may contact CAHPI to verify an inspector’s standing as a National Certificate Holder in the CAHPI National Certification Program. Visit www.cahpi.ca to learn more.

• Ask friends or family members who have recently purchased a home for a
recommendation.

• Make sure the home inspector you choose is an experienced inspector, not an individual with an inspection business on the side.

• Look for inspectors who belong to a provincial association, and who participate in ongoing professional development activities.

• Ask for three references of past customers, and then call to ask them whether they
were satisfied with the service they received.

• Make sure the home inspector does not solicit, receive or give referral fees.

• Ensure that the inspection is carried out during the day, as night-time inspections may miss vital components of the exterior of the house.

• Find out where you can get more information about the inspector and his or her firm, such as the firm’s Website address or industry association.

• Ask what you will receive once the inspection is complete, and when you can expect to receive it. A professional home inspector should provide a written report reviewing every major system and component in the home within about 24 hours of completing the inspection.

• Nationally, the average cost of pre-purchase home inspection is about $350.

For more information or a free copy of the “About Your House” fact sheet Hiring a Home Inspector or other fact sheets on virtually every facet of owning, maintaining or renovating your home, ask CMHC at 1 800 668-2642 or visit our Web site at www.cmhc.ca. For over 60 years, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) has been Canada’s national housing agency, and a source of objective, reliable housing expertise.

For story ideas or to access CMHC experts or expertise, contact CMHC Media Relations - National Office at: (613) 748-4632 or by e-mail: media@cmhc-schl.gc.ca

PLEASE ALL CANADIAN INSPECTORS, PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO EMAIL CMHC AND REGISTER YOUR DISAPPOINTMENT IN REGARDS TO CMHC A TAXPAYER FUNDED AGENCY RECOMMENDING ONE ASSOCIATION OVER THAT OF ANOTHER!

YOUR VOICE MUST BE HEARD LOUD AND CLEAR. YOU ARE BEING TOLD BY A GOVERNMENT AGENCY WHICH YOU FUND THROUGH YOUR TAXES THAT YOU AND YOUR ASSOCIATION ARE INFERIOR!

IF YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT TO SAY EMAIL ME AND I WILL PROVIDE YOU MY EMAIL I SENT, WHICH YOU CAN SEND AND PUT YOUR NAME TO IT.

DON’T BE APATHETIC, THATS EASY. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS EMAIL ME AND PUT YOUR NAME TO A PRE-WRITTEN EMAIL. MANY VOICE WILL RESULT IN ACTION. NOW IS THE TIME TO PROTECT YOUR INDUSTRY, YOUR RIGHTS AND YOUR FUTURE!

raymond.wand@sympatico.ca

Thank you!

Raymond:

CMHC is not recommending members of one association over another. They are recommending people who are National Certificate Holders. These people can belong to any association they wish. There are even some NACHI members on the list. Applications have been available to CAHPI members and non-members equally. CAHPI is mentioned in the media release because CAHPI is the body that was created to implement this program, and they are doing their job.

People shouldn’t be surprised. I’ve been saying this was going to be what would happen for some time now. This is exactly what the National Certification Program was for. It was designed to create a group of well trained and examined Home Inspectors who inspect and report according to the National Occupational Standards consistently right across Canada.

Stay tuned for a few more equally exciting announcements soon !!!

Bill Mullen #NCA00001

Seems that I must be doing some thing wrong I can not seem to find a NC Home Inspector on the NC web site .
Would be interesting to find out how to use it . Roy Cooke

Bill

Thanks for your interpretive abilities. I told you before CMHC is going to hear all about the comments made by executives, including you as to the derogatory comments about competing associations.

Yes I will stay tuned and you should be prepared to explain yourself and a few others better be prepared to explain themselves who have been on record making unfounded and unwarranted comments about NACHI and or its members.

Every word that I and others might have said that you didn’t like or that you have deemed to be ‘unwarranted and unfounded’ has already been repeated here many times and in messages that CMHC and others have read. They have also read all the kind words that you and others have said about me, CAHPI and the other leaders. But go ahead. It’s a free country and the folks at CMHC are very open and fair.

The certification applications are available for anyone. Go ahead and apply. You will be treated with all the respect you deserve.

Bill Mullen

Bill Mullen

Gee that is to bad we have seen the way we are treated and if you feel this is what we deserve.
I do not see the National certifacation going ahead with the poor attitude Bill has .
Roy Cooke

Applications have been available to CAHPI members and non-members equally. CAHPI is mentioned in the media release because CAHPI is the body that was created to implement this program, and they are doing their job.

Hi Bill,
It is time to say HI. It has been a pleasure to read all the comments from all the professional home inspectors on this board.

I value each and every thought/suggestion for the home inspection industry but before we jump the gun on CMHC, please remember the many court decisions and the well established legal principals as it pertains to Professional Negligence…Hidley Byrne case is just a beginning…

Roy:

I don’t know what you mean.

Everyone is welcome to apply and hopefully qualify to receive the National certification. I don’t do the certifying nor do I have any input into any of the apllications. The system is set up so that nobody including me or even the President of CAHPI can influence any treatment of anyone or any outcome. I was being sincere when I said Raymond would be traeted with respect. Everyone will be treated equally well.
However, it’s a voluntary application and certification, so please don’t feel pressured to apply.

Bill Mullen

Bill Mullen says (" I don’t know what you mean. ")
Well Bill I will try and explain it to you.
You continually call me a liar when I ask you to show me where you can’t .
You accuse Nick of saying Walmart does not tell Kmart there business when corrected you then say you are quoting another person well NACHI has a search and this shows you are the only one to say that .
You have been asked to post to the CAHPI members many times about the free NACHI booth and Members rates to the NACHI Conference .
You Just recently said you have told the CAHPI members Unfortunately all the CAHPI members I have talked to have never seen this so called report from you .
You are asked about money you got and you said you received nothing NADA.
When I posted a letter of yours showing you where getting $2,000;00 a month you got cranky and admitted you where paid and then you said you had given 1/2 back (How can we believe this ) .
Your Past record does not show you as being very trust worthy.
Many questions asked are ignored .
I am disappointed that you will not be speaking at the NACHI opening day to give your information on the NATIONAL Certification as I was to be the follow up speaker to answer your presentation.
This could have been very interesting .
Bill you have tried to sell the sizzle, but as the Wendy’s commercial says where’s the meat.
I guess this as per usual will not get the answers all Home Inspectors deserve.
NACHI the only open site with free discussion for all.
You have said there will be no bias or discrimination , well $500:00 too $1,100:00 sure looks unbalanced to me

Roy Cooke Glad to be a NACHI member

Bill
As you can see by your previous post you didn’t say that Ray would be treated with respect. The quote, I think, says it all. I don’t believe that Nachi members will be treated the same way as CAHPI members at all. This is evident with the discrimination that is already implemented in that that cost for certification is much more for NACHI members than CAHPI members. I also don’t believe that the National is being forthcoming as I cannot find a listing of the courses that will be accepted by the certification board.
The way it seems to me is that you pay your money and the board says that I don’t have the required courses and thank you very much please try again later. So I have just spent $1100.00 to be told, thanks but you don’t qualify.
While I will acknowledge that Ray has been unkind in some of his remarks that statement that “You will be treated with all the respect you deserve.”
lends itself to interpretation. That you don’t have any input to the board I also find to be less than truthful. A word in someones ear goes a long way to influencing the way a person thinks.
Larry

Hey Everybody, leave my name out of it please. This isn’t about me! This is about YOU!

Official spokespeople have said and are on record stating what they feel about anyone outside of their fold. Lip service. The comments have been put in writing in one Provincial bodies newsletters. Stated on association so called “moderated” forums, and glaring erroneous statements put in paper.

I think its too late to turn back the clock.

Its not about me!

Larry:

I was able to obtain a list of acceptable schools from Claude a while ago, however, the list is a short one.

It includes community Colleges and schools operated by CAHPI/OAHI members.:shock:

To be fair, they do say any education provider may apply to have their courses approved, its strange that not many have! (cost?)

Not to be negative but they seem to have the handle on the whole shebang!

Cheers

</IMG>

Oh yea:

On a side note, CMHC recommending NC holders is not really a problem because there are not very many NC holders.

Can a client find one?

How long do you think a client will take before giving up?

Cheers

Doug as a point of clarification - that was a preliminary list from the consultant at the time of its release. Since accreditation is about more than just a list of possible training venues that met the criteria some time ago, it’s now more accurately to indicate that some on that list may no longer be recognized by the National Certification Authority under a more thorough review. So that list may have changed.

I do know however, that any home inspection program taken through the post secondary college system in Canada has pretty much met the provincial standard, and often meets the acceptance standard of the Ministry of Colleges & Universities. Many college inspection courses meet or exceed the National Occupational Standards.

Some may see the wisdom in the fact that the college does not certify home inspectors - therefore there is arms-length transactions in the process. Equally there are exams either in class or through a proctor system to assure that the participants actually have measureable knowledge of the subject matter. And now many colleges are starting to offer training and mentorship for home inspectors. This focuses on helping inspectors in the practical areas of the onsite inspection and reporting process.

BTW: Some education/training providers also belong to OACETT, CSC, ASHI and NACHI, and professional engineering associations.

Hi guys. Don’t get your shirts in a knot!

First of all C.M.H.C. accounts for less than 10% of all mortgages issued in Canada. So their influence in the market place is, shall we say, somewhat limited ( talk about hitching your wagon to a falling star!)

Secondly, contacts have already been made on your behalf and there are several people and their M.P.'s working on this right now. We can expect a more fair statement from C.M.H.C. in the near future.

Thirdly, I urge all inspectors who are concerned to contact their M.P. and the C.M.H.C. offices and CALMLY urge them to mend their ways.

NACHI is the biggest organization of Professional Home Inspectors in Canada. They will listen.

Stay tuned for further developments that will change the shape of the Home Inspection world here in Canada!

Ok Claude
Please supply me with the list and I will see if the courses I have taken are acceptable. At that point I may apply for accreditation. I will not pay the National any money up front to have tham say “Sorry, etc.” I would also like to know how I go about getting a course accepted by the National.
Larry

Hi Larry:

Neither Claude nor I have standing on the National Accreditation Council (NAC) that deals with reviewing course material and comparing it to the requirements of the National Occupational Standards. However, perhaps I can give you a little help.

The NAC is very serious and diligent about reviewing and accrediting courses because if they approve courses they need to stand behind those course providers. Several course providers have been approved, but the NAC has not yet published the list because they are still waiting for Accredtitation Agreements to be signed by the course providers. The last I heard was that this process should be done very soon, and in fact it might now be done.

The National Certification Program Website just came online and it’s still under construction but it will soon contain the information on courses and providers.

When a person applies for certification, he/she provides a list of his/her courses, seminars, etc. that he/she has attended and successfully passed. Until 1999 all courses will receive some credit, but it will be on a weighted system. If a course has been accredited, it receives full weight. An unaccredited course might receive some weight, but it would be less since it hasn’t been reviewed and/or accepted.

As an example, the original Pilot Project applicants listed courses on their applications and received credit for most of them, even though at that time, no courses had officially been approved. The criteria used by the NAC was good old common sense.

The intent is to try to give people credit for whatever attempts at educating themselves they have made. This is not a permanent arrangement, however. It was put in place so that experienced inspectors could get credit for seminars, courses, and work experience in the past. At some point in the next two or three years, only courses and seminars that have been approved for accreditation will count.

If you wish to have a course reviewed for accreditation, you can contact the NAC for an application, or I can send you one. Let me know and I’ll get one to you.

Best regards

Bill Mullen

Can we please see some hard documentation? Surely there must be documents that support what is being said. All we see are comments and opinions, but never any documentation.

I know the documents exist because I have quite a few. Factual documented facts would be easier to sell then just info based on what is said by two people on a discussion board.

For the legally inclined members only.

Supreme Court of Canada
Edgeworth Construction Ltd. v. N. D. Lea & Associates Ltd., [1993] 3 S.C.R. 206
http://scc.lexum.umontreal.ca/en/1993/1993rcs3-206/1993rcs3-206.html
Torts ‑‑ Negligence ‑‑ Duty of care ‑‑ Negligent misrepresentation

http://faculty.law.ubc.ca/biukovic/supplements/Hedley.htm
**Hedley Byrne v. Heller ** [House of Lords] [1964] AC 465