Favorite Bulletin Board

I feel the favorite Bulletin Board of Claude Lawrenson is this one .

http://www.nachi.org/forum/image.php?u=1069&dateline=1136573854Claude Lawrenson

vbmenu_register(“postmenu_51211”, true);
[Ontario Home Inspections, Inc.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/images/2006/misc/homepage.gif](http://www.inspectsupport.com/)
NACHI Member
User Name: clawrenson
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]

The CAHPI BB has 71 members and they altogether have made
a total of 20 post’s this year.
Claude is on there and made no post’s.
I can not remember the last post Claude made on the Canuk list.
I do not think Claude makes any post’s on the OAHI Cafe.
He has made 189 so far this year on the NACHI BB.
It looks to me he enjoys us just as much as we enjoy him.
Just maybe he can see what we also see NACHI is on a roll
and he is enjoying the ride.

The more I hear,
the more I see!
NACHI is the one for me !
Roy Cooke R.H.I. Royshomeinspection.com
A HAPPY NACHI MEMBER,… More find this out ever day!

Thanks Roy - here’s the latest. Just to indulge you inquisitive mind with this post.

First ASHI, than CANUCK and than NACHI. I do not go on the OAHI forum, and only frequently review the CAHPI forum.

Certainly NACHI for Canadian Home Inspectors is the most controversial. I am often entertained by the other side of the comments that are offered in the other forums too.

However it seems I cannot say a word or state a thought on the Canadian side of the forum here without getting a backlash or brow beating for having an opinion or trying to answer a question. Sure makes me feel really not welcomed here.

Clearly I am treated with a lot less respect here mainly from the Canadian contingent - so I guess you raise a good point - why should I bother trying to offer anything? Its obviously not appreciated or worthy! Definitely there are more important things to tend to.

Best wishes and good luck!

I thoroughly enjoyed your QOD’s Claude.:slight_smile:

Perhaps you would be so kind as to post some more.:slight_smile:

Strange Claude you do not seem to lack the ability to give it out as well as take it .

I am sure you bait us to get a reply.
By running away you could be depriving many Canadians from the much friendly banter that goes (on and ON), and all the information that filters out.
With out the many questions asked ,you I and others would be a lot less smarter.
I guess I could say the same thing ( "However it seems I cannot say a word or state a thought on the Canadian side of the forum here without getting a backlash or brow beating for having an opinion or trying to answer a question. ") ()
Good Bad or other wise NACHI seems to be the only media for Canadians to get much information.
It is just unfortunate more do not post .
Many questions I have asked and much information given has been from other Canadians ( Some are from Committe members) who do not want to have their name in print for the repercussions they fear from the Canadian associations.
Five letters this week. Those in power must know that this sure is unfortunate that membership is afraid to communicate with them.
I get many letters asking for information as those in power do not reply promply or even worse never reply at all.
example I have sent out 7 copies of the OAHI bylaws recently as newer and old members have no idea how to get them or fear asking for a set.
Intimidation from these people sure helps NACHI to grow in Canada
The more I hear,
the more I see!

Claude

I am stilling waiting for answers from OAHI on three complaints submitted over 7 months ago. Justice delayed is justice denied, it is also a lack of due process. Letters seeking the status of complaints go unanswered. That is NEGLIGENCE. Just how many excuses ranging from that old worn out line “we are volunteers”, or the Discipline Committee is being reformed, or complaints are dealt with in the order received. Well there must be an awful lot of complaints because I have been waiting over 6 months! Questions and queries to the OAHI office is a disaster, how these people keep their jobs is beyond me. How can anyone expect anything but excuses and delays from OAHI and its ability to deal with National Certification? The same people will be the same, and their actions or lack of actions speak louder than words. Anyone seeking National Certification should be very concerned about the rules and how they are applied. Given the biases and incompetence within OAHI anyone applying to OAHI or for National Cert. in Ontario should be leary. It is apparent that OAHI is incapable of policing itself, and will police itself in a peace meal fashion and only police itself when it wants to look self regulating. That is a fact. Perhaps you can explain to me as Ethics Chair of CAHPI why OAHI is in breach of its discipline process and the by-laws? How can anyone inside OAHI or outside be treated fairly? Obviously the proof shows it not to be the case. There are clearly two standards imposed. I for the life of me do not know how OAHI will manage its end of the bargain with National Certification considering what is being overlooked and what will be overlooked.

Claude if I were you I would be very concerned about the manner in which the DPPC conducts its affairs as well as some of the other committees. Your role as Ethics Chair is going to be difficult because of your counterparts in OAHI are not up to the task. How you will deal with attitude the delays, the lack of objectivity and accountablity will likely be a further litmus test as to the viability and functionality of the association.

In a fail safe environment - perhaps that is exactly what you allude to - another service that the National Ethics Committee can provide, a point of another separate hearing, and also one serving a point to assure an reasonable and expedient process. It has been tabled before. And that format has been accepted by some of the other provinces.

However, it is also my understanding in the meantime that “regional” DPPC teams are in the works. Thus assuring more review power, and arms length independence from local issues. This a definitely a step forward to help resolve issues in a more timely manner.

Not to make excuses but trivial matters need to be dealt with more expediently and/or people need to realize the difference between real ethical matters and disciplinary matters, or resolving personal differences. Some matters or issues brought forward need to be prioritized.

Certainly I agree the time frame you have indicated is not reasonable regardless of the point of volunteerism.

We know that OAHI is not a fail safe mechanism, too many zealots and egos. Just read the threats in the Ontario Inspector Newsletter.

Timely manner? The process is already in place. Now complaints rather then going to a fixed DPP committee will be sent out to different regional meeting group volunteers to review the complaint (names of complainants and respondents will be removed) and provide feedback. That is not going to speed things up that is going to slow things down, it is just another level of bureaucratic red tape. Then when the regional reviews send back the complaint to the DPPC for further actions. The first system was not broken, and if run and managed properly there would be no need for another layer of oversite, reviews, and decisions.

Its not a case of trivial versus personal differences its about receiving replies in a timely manner so that one knows the complaint has been received, and is being dealt with. Heck they can’t even do that! Really how long should one wait for a complaint to be acknowledged? One month, two months, three months? Six months with nothing is a joke and those persons making those decisions are responsible and will be held responsible. One has only to read the silly edicts coming from the DPPC in the OAHI newsletter.

No kidding! I have just sent in another request seeking the status. It will be interesting to see the time it takes if any before I receive some form of answer. Even the OAHI office is incapable indicating that the emails have been received, even though I asked for an automated received reply when my email has been read. Unfortunately the whole system is broken, and what is needed is less lip service and more action. This activity would not have been tolerated by the DPPC when I was Chair. Unfortunately when me and the committee saw the special interests and rule bending and tried to correct it I was summarily dismissed, resulting in the rest of the committee removing itself because of improprieties and influence from some on the BOD.

OAHI needs a enema to clean out the you know what. OOOOOOoooops did I say that? Oh I guess I did.

I really hated to leave OAHI .
I have left a great many members who I enjoyed .
No one attended more meeting then I .
I never missed a Toronto meeting and also attended every Kingston meeting as well as serving on three committees.
I made my mind up when I saw how the BOD did not listen to the membership and ignored many requests for information .
The BOD Fired two great DPPC Chairs because they could not have influence on the DPPC ( Rules say arms length from the BOD).
Two finance directors quit do to discrepancies and every year members of the BOD have resigned .
There never was any info given to the membership and a true Financial statement was never forth comming.
(I am told it still runs the same way ).
There is now way I could support an association that does not follow their own rules and does as they wish,
so I have put all my support in NACHI and helping all that I can in all directions .

The more I hear,
the more I see!

Roy Does not Ont have a societies act that controls the behavior of societies. I’ve never had to deal with the things you allude to but all bylaws and financial statements have to be filed annually at least here they do and anyone can review those filings. If the society does not live up to its bylaws you should be able to resister a complaint with the government responsible for policing the act.

Just a thought.

I do not have the ability to take them on yes many members know that OAHI does not follow the
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/incilp-pdci.nsf/en/cl00700e.html ,
and other rules.
But they have been so intimidated by the Board of Directors that they are afraid to complain .
I have many letters from members who agree with our post’s and all wish it could be fixed but no way do they wish to be involved.
( 6 in the past little while ) (Given in confidence, kept in confidence.)
Roy Sr

Roy Cooke sr. CAHPI/ON CAHPI/ONT Certified Home Inspector CHI

Trade-marks Act
http://lois.justice.gc.ca/en/T-13/262653.html#rid-262662

The more I hear,
the more I see!

](http://www.nachi.org/forum/)UNFAIR COMPETITION AND PROHIBITED MARKS

Prohibitions

7. No person shall
(a) make a false or misleading statement tending to discredit the business, wares or services of a competitor;
(b) direct public attention to his wares, services or business in such a way as to cause or be likely to cause confusion in Canada, at the time he commenced so to direct attention to them, between his wares, services or business and the wares, services or business of another;
(c) pass off other wares or services as and for those ordered or requested;
(d) make use, in association with wares or services, of any description that is false in a material respect and likely to mislead the public as to
(i) the character, quality, quantity or composition,
(ii) the geographical origin, or
(iii) the mode of the manufacture, production or performance
of the wares or services; or
(e) do any other act or adopt any other business practice contrary to honest industrial or commercial usage in Canada.
R.S., c. T-10, s. 7.
Roy Cooke sr CAHPI/ON CAHPI/ONT Certified Home Inspector
CHI

OAHI says that only RHIs should be doing inspections .( there are over 500 OAHI Members )( Who most will never become an RHI ) are not smart enough to be inspecting. This is just part of the tunnel vision that has been bestoved on the RHIs who figure they have made it and do not want any one else to make it
They have managed to keep the RHI count at about 200± for over 10 years can you say a closed door to the many onther OAHI members who are the ones who pay the most and get zero back.
OAHI MEMBERSHIP TOTALS
as of January 31, 2006
RHI (Registered Home Inspector) 222
Associate 98
Applicant 6
Applicant without logo privileges 155 54 more added this last year and still the RHI count stays the same .
Students 275 160 more added this last year and still the RHI count stays the same
Retired 24
Friends of the OAHI 6
TOTAL MEMBERSHIP 786

This was in a local news paper today
“While singing the virtues of hiring a home inspector before purchasing a home, Mr. Ganassini did have a warning for people seeking out help in assessing their home.
“Find someone who is registered,” Mr. Ganassini said, noting there are home inspectors who aren’t registered with the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors. The designation RHI means registered home inspector and not all practising home inspectors carry.”

The more I hear,
the more I see!

This is a radio program done in BC Canada .
(This is a big file, High speed needed)(This might be good for NICK to listen to )
In it they talk about an American Association who turns out home inspectors with a simple 45 minute exam . They also talk about how great their Home inspectors are and that they are the only ones that should be used. This is a big file. They also get in a discusion with the other BC association . It has some good information but they do shade the truth .

ASTTBC Executive Director on CBC Radio One – Re: House Inspection
Click Here]
http://www.asttbc.org/media/JohnLeech_CBCRadio_20060331.mp3

.I can’t find anything in any of the documents granting “exclusive” use of CHI or Cert. Home Inspector. There only seems to be an Trademark issue and even then thats very questionable.

http://www.asttbc.org/mem/bcipi.nf.html
[http://www.asttbc.org/mem/CPI%20Policy%20Approved%20February%202006.pdf](http://www.asttbc.org/mem/CPI Policy Approved February 2006.pdf)

FyiThe more I hear,
the more I see!

Well I listened to the whole show and they did not mention NACHI. They talked about an organization from the US that had a 30 min exam. Later they mentioned a 45 min on line exam.
NACHI does not fit either time limit.
What I found very interesting was an inspector called in and said that the pres of Caphi had a realtors lock box key.
We should all have one then we could do the inspections with out realtor interference.
What say you to that?

Do you know of any other association beside NACHI that has an on line test.
In one part of Ontario I do inspectons all the time with out the agent there . They use lock boxes .
4 of last weeks with no agent ,
I could care less if the agent is there or not but do insist that the client is there.
It takes a special circumstance for me to do an inspection with out the client there .
Very seldom do I do it .
Two booked for this week so far no agent .
Another area today two agents there .
I guess they wanted to see how a first class HI does an inspection .
Went well Clients said in front of both agents that it was the best inspection they had ever had .

The more I hear,
the more I see!

Maybe the CAPHI pres.lock box key used to drop off the payments for being on the preferred vendor list at the real estate office? :twisted:

It’s amazing how fast the caller was cut off by the host of the program after the caller pointed out that “its kind of hard to believe the head of CAPHI in Kelowna actually has a lock box key and is a member of the Real Estate Association. So I mean we’ve got to distance ourselves a little bit and …” The host jumped in and said “now you’re making allegations here that I find it difficult to deal with right now.”, almost as if he were pre-warned that such a statement might come up IMHO.

Gee I sure would even hate to think that could happen .
But??? with all the other strange things going on .
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder
Roy Sr .
The more I hear,
the more I see!

All the realtors in this area sing the same song that they have to be present because their code of practice says they have to be present during the inspection so 95% of the time they are under foot.
Some agents interupt me when I’m explaining a defect to my client. They attempt to negate what I’m saying or to comfuse the issue and make it sound less serious then it is. The smart ones go sit in a corner and let me do my job. There have been instances in the past where I have put up with their behavior and thinking about it afterwards I come to the conclusion that I should have told them to butt out.

When it’s a sellers market, some, down play the inspection (if there is an inspection at all) and don’t want the inspector to find anything wrong for fear of loosing the deal. When it’s a buyers market, they try to use the inspection as leverage to have the price reduced so they can close the deal. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.