Mr. Guihans last words (message)

Mike Guihan C.Tech. R.H.I , National Certificate Holder
President CAHPI National

This will be my last President’s message, and I am somewhat ambivalent about that. It has been an exciting three years, starting with the decision to dedicate all our resources to the implementation of the National Certification Program at the Winnipeg meeting in 2005. Some thought that we were taking too much of a gamble, but some of us knew that it was imperative that we proceed at that time. And despite the bumps and curves in the road, we’ve done it. The National Certification Program has earned CAHPI and all it’s members the recognition that we deserve, and that is necessary in order to move forward in the development of real protection for the Canadian consumer. Congratulations to all who gave so much to this process.

I have enjoyed my time as National President immensely, I have had the opportunity to meet so many wonderful home inspectors, and their families, from coast to coast; to learn from every one of you, to recognize what a great country we have and what a fantastic organization we have built together. And we really have achieved a remarkable feat in the creation and growth of our association. Home inspectors are arguably the most opinionated, obstinate and obstreperous group of individuals that you are likely to find anywhere; and at the same time, the most decent, dedicated and diverse bunch that you will ever meet. We are an enigma wrapped up in a conundrum! And together there isn’t much that we can’t do when we get going.

There are so many that I would like to thank for their contributions to CAHPI, first and foremost Sharry Featherston, who has got to be the most selfless and hardworking person that I have ever had the pleasure of working with. Dave Bottoms, who has nurtured this publication to what it is today. The various members of the National Board of Directors and the National Certification Authority; Bill Mullen, Ari Marantz, Bill Sutherland, Trevor Welby Solomon, Rick Clark, Graham Clarke, Albert Arduini, Claude Lawrenson, Blaine Swan, George Webb, Bruce Riddick…the list goes on. All individuals who have worked through good and bad times to help CAHPI grow and mature into the strong association that we have today.

Finally, I will leave you all with a new challenge… with National Certification successfully implemented, we are now at a point where the PDI Protocol is needed more than ever, and the marketplace is now ready for it. The challenge is to come together once again to work out the quirks and quarks in the program so that we can offer the Canadian consumer a Pre-Delivery Inspection that is both useful and recognized as the gold standard in inspections. We have the ability to accomplish this, and there’s no one else in the country that can do it!

Thank you all for your support and for your friendship.

Michael G. Guihan