Holmes is Back

[size=3] [size=2]http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/repairsandrenovations/article/1050777--holmes-inspection-this-will-be-the-best-season-yet[/size]

http://www.yourhome.ca/App_Themes/YourHome/standard/images/logoPrint.gif

Susan Snee/THE CANADIAN PRESS
Make it Right contractor Mike Holmes, host of Holmes’ Inspection on HGTV.

Holmes Inspection: ‘This will be the best season yet’

September 09, 2011
Jennifer Wilson
Yourhome.ca Editor

Moving into a new home is stressful enough without having to worry about the possibility of unexpected repair bills, dangerous living conditions and even health risks.
“You buy a house and think everything is fine,” explains Make it Right contractor Mike Holmes on the phone from Edmonton. “Then it’s a hot potato.”
It starts off as minor things, such as the roof starting to leak, “then, my God, you’re in trouble,” says Holmes, noting the problems, bills and repair times tend to snowball.
“Homeowners need to stop relying that everyone else knows what they’re doing and start doing their homework,” says Holmes. “If you don’t, you are playing the slot machine.”
In the new season of Holmes Inspection, Thursdays at 10 p.m. on HGTV, Holmes visits homeowners whose home inspectors missed glaring issues, repairing their properties and teaching viewers to learn how to spot problems before making their own purchases.
“We get better at it,” each season says Holmes, comparing the series to a “well-oiled machine” with the stories getting consistently better. “This season will be the best season yet.”
In the two-part premiere on Sept. 1, Holmes Inspection returned with a visit to a fairly new subdivision, where Holmes discovers Sean and Carol’s home needs serious work — including a roof replacement, fumigation, insulation and even structural issues.
“After a few minutes in the home, I panicked. I knew it was going to be so big,” says Holmes, who notes that you wouldn’t have expected such a new home to have so many problems.
He notes that many of these repair jobs would normally take four to six months, while “we try to do it in a few weeks.”
He says that while yes, there is a problem with the inspection industry — “like any other boom, any one is going to jump in on it” and more training is necessary — the industry is essential, as is homeowner education.
It’s important to do your own research because, “this is the single most expensive investment of your life.”
To prevent yourself from ending up with a lemon, Holmes says, “Stop buying by vision.”
The “husband and wife go out. The excitement’s there, they make the move, they start looking. Everything’s based on impression,” he explains, such as getting swayed by the renovations or the yard. “You’re not doing what you need to do. People need to do their homework.”
Homebuyers need to start researching their area, such as looking at how old the houses are or whether there’s a history of asbestos and termites.
“Don’t be afraid to canvas the neighbours,” suggests Holmes. “Ask them about the house you’re thinking of. Who’s lived there? Was there a fire?”
Holmes says prospective buyers should also check the permits to ensure all renovations have been completed according to regulations.
As for what’s next, I “Never knew I was a workaholic until recently,” says Holmes. But “when it’s important to me, which everything I do is to me, you find the time.”
And that workaholic teases he’s “about to make a very big change. I like to grow with what I’m doing.”
His next show will be called Make it Right, he explains. “I want to involve the viewers … it will be similar to what I’ve always done. I will be helping people in trouble, but going on a much larger scale.” He hints it may involve nominating people who really need their help. And, he says, stay tuned for his cartoon, Mighty Mike, hopefully in 2012.
Contact Jennifer Wilson at jwilson@thestar.ca or follow on Twitter @jenwilsonTO](http://twitter.com/#!/@jenwilsonTO).

http://www.yourhome.ca/tops-counter?uid=1050777&counter=

[/size]