No home inspection

https://www.cheknews.ca/passing-on-home-inspection-turns-into-nightmare-for-nanaimo-family-466110/
** Passingon home inspection turns into nightmare for Nanaimo family**

Posted By: [FONT=“Times New Roman”]Skye Ryan](https://www.cheknews.ca/author/sryan/)[/FONT]on:July01, 2018In: [FONT=“Times New Roman”]News](https://www.cheknews.ca/category/news/), Top Stories[/FONT]
WATCH: A Nanaimo woman issharing her family’s living nightmare in hopes of saving another first-timebuyer from their fate.
The hotter than ever realestate market is making it more and more common for buyers to waive conditionsand forego home inspections.
** Skye Ryan reports.**
Wendy Ettinger and her son Matthew Noel’s dream home has turned into theirnightmare.
“It looked immaculate on the outside.They made it look that way,” said Mathew Noel. “It said beautiful brand new 1-year-old,fully authorized home.”
“It’s just sad,” said Wendy Ettinger.“This house is ruining our lives.”
These first time home buyers boughtin 2016, amid this still burning hot housing market.
With multiple offers on the table forthe house, they decided to offer over its $440,000 asking price and waive thehome inspection, on advice they say their real estate agent gave them.
“There was another offer and what weshould do is maybe raise the price and drop the inspection,” said Ettinger.
What this family says they didn’tknow then was how long their so-called “new build” had been sitting incomplete.
It turns out that construction began on it allthe way back in 2009 when the recession shuttered so many projects.
“Oh we were just shocked right away,”said Ettinger. “We had no idea.”
The family’s investigator, JamesCraig, said he’s learned that over the years the house filled with water, whichlikely led to the mold evidenced in reports they’ve now paid for.
Mold that makes it impossible forMatthew Noel to live in the home now.
“The whole house is filled withpenicillin and stachybotrys which are both toxic molds,” said Noel.“Life-threatening molds and I can’t breathe in there.”
So even the interview with CHEK tookplace outside.
President of the Vancouver IslandReal Estate Board Don McClintock says this case is why inspections are socrucial, and why buyers shouldn’t be tempted to pass on them.
Without any conditions then they haveunconditionally purchased the home,” said McClintock. “They have no furtherrecourse.”
Wendy Ettinger and her son have beentold it will cost as much as $100,000 to repair their new home. They’ve nowhired a lawyer to take their case against the home’s builder and real estateagent to court.

There is no doubt that more stories like this will surface, unfortunately.

Cheers

I did an inspection last year for a lady who bought first, then had me do an inspection. Why is beyond me. Fortunately there weren’t any major issues. Spotty insulation was probably the worst of it, but every time I mentioned something the lady just sighed and said “what it that going to cost me”.

I would rank buying a home without an inspection as one of the most foolish things a person can do. Even if the Realtor did not suggest they waive the inspection, I think a court would be correct in ruling that he/she had a fiduciary duty to insist that they get one done or sign a release.

I agree . we frequently hear of people who did not have an inspection . Thanks for your post… Roy

The main problem being “some” Realtors and the challenge of dealing with “bidding wars” allowed to be an accepted norm on homes, and the recommendation of waiving the home inspection condition. This is a great education experience example for both “purchasers” as well as “vendors”.

I’m sure there’s many more just like this that have not hit the press. It’s truly unfortunate this can happen, but I’m also disappointed by the comment by the Real Estate Association.