Home Inspector monitoring in Quebec

It appears one InterNACHI Home Inspection Chapter in Quebec will be monitoring its members by asking each member to submit a home inspection report yearly. InterNACHI Quebec.
If “they feel” the inspector requests further help they will have to pay for it.

As well, if they hear complaints, from whom I wonder, real estate agents, the will have members involuntarily shadowed, at their expense.

Now tell me this ain’t so G.

Interesting , I wonder does any other home inspectors group or Government agency monitor inspectors Reports .
Could this be a good thing??? .
It makes me nervous to think agents could be involved .

1 Like

If memory serves me well, National Card holders undergo some form of monitoring by NHICC, or am I mistaken?

This, complaints mechanism, worries me.

InterNACHI has all the educational and proctoring levels to insure members have sufficient education.

Come to think of it, I never see InterNACHI Quebec members on the MB.

This oversteps InterNACHI’s accepted educational requirements, as well as introduces a liability to inspectors I feel.
As yourself, the whole thing worries me.

Does InterNACHI know about this?

Thoughts anyone.

New self image photo JJ?
Looks like you lost much weight.
Great work. Keep it up!

Just between you and me though. May I recommend; try doing something about those bulging eye and head twitch.
But if you feel the tin foil helps, stick with it buddy. All the InterNACHI members are quite use to it. Only put on some cloths and a burka, when you go outside. Individuals that do not know you might think it’s strange.

Keep well.
We are all pulling for ya.
Robert

Well,
What a great initiative on behalf of The BOD of Internachi Quebec.
We all passed a quick exam and are now inspectors going to peoples homes and saying things like…all is good…this house rates 9 out of 10…this foundation crack will never leak…These are the type of things that put a home inspector at risk and in front of a judge .
I sat next to a home inspector last year during our training session and he told me he never took any type of home inspection training but just passed the online exam and that’s it that’s all now I am a certified home inspector he says!!!
Also I came across some home owners during inspections that showed me their last home report “A 2 page report full of crap” yeah awesome report …so why would we ever need to monitor our home inspector I say!!!
Well, this would eliminate a lot of errors and actually teach someone how to actually write a good report and lowering our insurance claims.
There are a lot of malevolent people out there looking for a quick buck on our dime and if the report is not properly written than the inspector will end up paying for a new deck or french drain excavation…
Now I am not saying you MR Young need to be monitored but would it not be a good idea to put your guard down for just a second and have someone take a look at one of your reports and praise you on your report and eliminate errors if there are.
We as home inspectors are liable for the rest of our lives once we hand in our report so why not help one another.
A well written report will save you a hell of lot of trouble down the road.
Our members from the board of directors are all volunteers and no one gets a penny from any time they put in so if they need to gather a bunch of inspectors to train them on how to do a proper report, than why the should they not get paid for the day they will spend on training a room full of people?
The room they would have to rent and food they will most likely provide will cost something as well.
Our membership fees, as low as they are compared to the US fees are pretty awesome but every penny goes directly to Internachi Colorado.

Once again, awesome initiative from our Quebec Board of directors.

Let your guards down folks…this is a good thing!!!

Joined NACHI in 2003 Chaired the first two NACHI Canadian Meetings Drove over 300 miles to each .I and others Help at many more .Toronto Conference worked at setting it up and at the conference and other meetings never paid us any money .
It was a labour of love for all of us to help the industry .
The only ones I know who get any money are NACHI employees .
I would hope that Quebec Members can do the same thing .

1 Like

Good post!
Have a great day!
Best regards, Pat

I have always been a big believer that you can always learn from your peers. When I worked in a multi-inspector firm, if it happened to be a slow day, an inspector that didn’t have an inspection to perform that day would tag along with another inspector. Afterwords, we would have a coffee and discuss how the inspection went and also if anything could have been done differently or better. We would also exchange reports on occasion to review how the other inspector was doing. This process provided a great learning experience for both inspectors and it tended to stop any bad habits from showing up.

If I was a Quebec inspector, I would be happy for the opportunity to send one of my reports off to get critiqued. If it was found that I was messing up in some way, I would certainly be willing to pay to take a class to ensure that my clients received the best home inspection and report around. Perhaps if the Quebec chapter charged more for their yearly fees (I have no idea how much they charge if anything) that would cover the expenses of providing this service. Perhaps they could have a report writing class held at the same time they have their AGM…however they do it, it is a benefit for their members and should be taken advantage of.

Also, if a home inspector is receiving complaints about his home inspection, then to have someone shadow him and observe what and how he is doing it can also help him immensely. I would think it would also cut down on liability as both the inspector and his association are taking steps to correct a wrong or perceived wrong. this service would and should also cost money because the inspector doing the shadowing is losing the opportunity to earn money that day. I think that there is no problem with him being compensated for his time while trying to help the inspector doing the inspection.

I think a program like this will do nothing but help the inspectors in Quebec.

Of course this is just my personal opinion given the little information on it that I have.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, Steve and Daniel.
Much appreciated.

I have mentored 10 plus homies to date.
One a working architect with 8 years of experience.
As well, full CD, Carson Dunlop class graduate.
One on one, full shadowing.
No money ever exchanged hands.
I supplied them with more tools than the average homie inspects with.

Hopefully an InterNACHI Quebec representative will explain further about why “all InterNACHI Quebec members’ must submit a report” before a certain decline.
Whom critiques the members reports?
What disclosure are members given of these gathered reports.
Remember, clients names and addresses as well as real estate agencies will bo on the reports.
As well, the home inspector’s reporting style to myself is a copywriter.

If a mock inspection is used, I can get anyone to help me submit one. Now the gathered reporting effort is skewed.

If the member does not satisfy the proctor or the board, the inspector has to pay out of pocket to learn.

As well, from what I understand, there is a home inspector complaints process.
If a member has a complaint lodged against him or her, a chosen member will shadow the inspector during a mock inspection.
Again, money will exchange hands.
Can the home inspector still work in the meantime?
If he or she agrees did they just admit guilt?

See once you admit you require help after a complaint is lodged, I am pretty sure you admitted guilt.
I hope you see my point, members.

Is see many liability and cost issues here.

Lets see what a board of directors has to say.

Thanks for the feedback, Steve and Daniel.
Much appreciated.

I have mentored 10 plus homies to date.
One a wonderful professional working architect, with 8 years of experience.
As well, a full CD, Carson Dunlop class graduate.

One on one, full shadowing.
No money ever exchanged hands.
I supplied them with more tools than the average homie inspects with.

Hopefully an InterNACHI Quebec representative will explain further about why “all InterNACHI Quebec members’ must submit a report” before a certain decline.

What legal protection and disclosure are members given?
Clients names and addresses, as well as real estate agencies and other sensitive information will be on the reports.

As well, the home inspector’s reporting style is there which is to myself, a copywriter.

If a mock inspection is used, I can get anyone to help me submit one.
Now the gathered data is skewed.

If the member does not satisfy the proctor or the board, the inspector has to pay out of pocket to learn.
Can they be streared to home inspection software during this phase?
Can they be steered to money for more education during this phase?

As well, from what I understand, there is a home inspector complaints process. That means a committee.

If a member has a complaint lodged against him or her, a chosen member will shadow the inspector during a mock inspection.
Again, money will exchange hands.
Can the home inspector still work in the meantime?
If he or she agrees did they just admit guilt?

See once you admit you require help after a complaint is lodged, I am pretty sure you admitted guilt.
I hope you see my points, members.

Is see many liability and cost issues here as well as a discussion to help member learn.

I offered mentoring several times but was never offer new inspector from InterNACHI Quebec.
All free…
Offer still stands.

Lets see what a board of directors has to say.

Steve. I take it you are a member of InterNACHI Quebec.
Good evening again Steven.
I see you have just joined InterNACHI as well.
5 posts.

Good luck your company’s endeavors.

Great initiative? Once it is spelled out by the BOD or founder others can chime in.

I am sure many have read poor reports.
As to seated next to a home inspector just passed the online exam and no more, you are reading my post.

I have read reports by astute home inspectors that missed items.
We all make mistakes.

I agree in mentoring.
I also know 8 out of 10 homies will not be successful businesses not matter how much they know.

I as a home inspector I am liable for “my work alone” sir.
I will not allow anyone to be privy to my reports without legal disclosure.

As for putting your guard down, I will not have my name placed on a InterNACHI chapter site when not asked.
It keeps popping up somehow?
If I was a consumer advocate and this type of misleading information became apparent, I would be asking many questions about how members are chosen and why this happens.

I have a lot to say sir because I ask tough questions, I do not rely on hype and love this grad association, and want to hold it harmless.
Many have disparaged InterNACHI. Let’s not let that happen.
I hope you understand.

Good luck with all your endeavors.
Let’s hear from the BOD.
I personally want to have a say in what happens in the industry I am proud to be a part of.

Robert,
If you want information about INTER-NACHI Québec, you should join.
Oops, I forgot you would have to pass the requirements to join.

Thanks for the laugh, Marcel. You must surely be interested in my presents in your association. My name keeps on appearing on the InterNACHI Quebec members lists, along with emails sent to me.

As a matter of fact, why hasn’t anyone called me about this simple email mistake?
I did sent 2 replies to call.

never got an invite. Funny…Not to me.
See, I have been around a while.
Silence is defining;)

I ask question here about InterNACHI Quebec, yet no one replies.:roll:

Just sarcasm FROM YOU Marcel.

As to your funny answer, are the requirements different than InterNACHI? See that what this thread is about. How this chapter appears to be following their own rules.

Do not get me wrong, I wish the (MEMBERS) much success.

Robert: The NHICC reviews reports during the Test Inspection(TIPR) process. We also review reports “IF” there’s a consumer complaint. (National Certificate Holders & National Home Inspectors)

Unfortunately, education and good reporting do not always go hand in hand. The other part being those inspectors that feel they meet the SOP, but after peer review by others, actually the findings actually prove otherwise. “So it should never be assumed!”

Come to think of it - doesn’t the CMI requirement include a report review?

I know many other H.I. associations typically do have that requirement also. It may also be part of the expected duty of care for insurance purpose.

Sorry for the typos and edit. Been on the road all day.

Thanks for the laugh, Marcel.
InterNACHI Quebec is interested in acquiring my membership.
That’s why my name keeps on appearing on the InterNACHI Quebec members roster.

Have some respect. If you wish to attract members, tell them what the chapter does.

Best regards.
Robert

Claude, thank you for chiming in.

You touched on all the subjects without hesitation.:slight_smile:

Wonder why InterNACHI Quebec tongue was tied?

A: InterNACHI requires (4 mock inspection reports.)

I Concur.
B: Education and good reporting do not always go hand in hand.
As well, many reporting systems out there.

As to your CMI question.
C: The CMI requires, Every Certified Master Inspector® must;
1: have completed 1,000 fee-paid inspections and/or hours of education (combined);
2: have been in the inspection business for at least three years;
3: agree to abide by the inspection industry’s toughest Code of Ethics;
4: agree to periodic criminal background checks; and
5: submit the application and the one-time fee (no annual dues, ever)

InterNACHI Quebec is part of InterNACHI. InterNACHI requires (4 mock inspection reports.)

D: Yes insurance expected duty of care.
That is what I think this is mainly about.

Much thanks.
Robert

With all due respect, Insurance companies gather collective data, that can and may affect your overall Credit Rating.

Errors and Omissions Insurance is part of being a business. It is written off as a business expense. Please understand that.

The best defence to avoiding client litigation is, a. InterNACHI education, b. continued studies, c. and a form of claims intercept.

The best claims intercept advocate I know, Joe Ferry.
Mark Cohen is also available for members, for free.

I have retained Joe’s Ferry going on 4 years, whom unfortunately does not represent InterNACHI Quebec, for whatever unbased reason…

Yes allowing your reports to be peer reviewed by “a peer” or someone you trust makes sense. I send reports to colleagues annually. Roy Cooke being one such person Steve and Marcel.
Why Roy Cooke and others I know? Because I trust their judgement. The are without bias.
I in turn have peer reviewed reports.

On the outside a collective of reports peered by an insurance provider might appear to be harmless enough, but I would ask questions first, to insure any information will be held in the strictest of confidence and not affect you as a business or person in any way.

Insure you have a WRITTEN CONSENT FORM and send it off to an advocate, like Mark Cohen that represents InterNACHI, before singing it.

I am sure InterNACHI Quebec will realize this is a great idea.

Please think before you act. Mark Cohen is always here for members.

With all due respect, Insurance companies gather collective data, that can and may affect your overall Credit Rating.

Errors and Omissions Insurance is part of being a business. It is written off as a business expense.

The best defence to avoiding client litigation is, a. InterNACHI education, b. continued studies, c. and a form of claims intercept.

The best claims intercept advocate I know, Joe Ferry.
Mark Cohen is also available for members.

I have retained Joe’s Ferry going on 4 years, whom unfortunately does not represent InterNACHI Quebec.

Allowing your reports to be peer reviewed by “a peer” or someone you trust makes sense. I send reports to colleagues annually. Roy Cooke being one such person, Steve and Marcel.
Why Roy Cooke and others I know? Because I trust their judgement.
I in turn have peer reviewed reports for members.

On the outside, a collective of reports peered by an insurance provider may appear to be harmless enough.
I would ask questions first, to insure any information will be held in the *strictest of confidence *and not affect you as a business or person in any way. Something in writing, duly signed and dated.
Keep track of that report.

Insure you have a WRITTEN CONSENT FORM, and send it off to an advocate, like Mark Cohen that represents InterNACHI, before singing it.

I am sure InterNACHI Quebec has your best interest at heart and will realize this is a great idea.

Please think before you act. Mark Cohen is always here for members.

Marcel, I would love to read what InterNACHI Quebec offers members and then make a choice. I love the full disclosure.

As a consumer, may I have something in English please so I can see what you offer? This way I can make a choice.

As well, could you post the BOD for all to see?

Joining and then you learn what you signed up for does not sound right.

Thank Marcel.

Standard-form contracts must also be in French. These are contracts that are already prepared and pre-printed, such as cellphone contracts, gym memberships and leases. The contract must be in French, but there can be a version in another language if the consumer asks for it.