home inspector regulations

The article reads. “Lack of home inspector regulations leaves buyers on the hook.

The article starts with; Alyssa Hanson thought she had done her due diligence on the home inspection front.

IMO, Asking the right questions and getting the right answers would go along way in helping “home purchasers” shopping for the right home inspector.

This article is misleading;
Hanson says at least six contractors have come by to survey the damage.

“Every single one of them said, ‘How did your house inspector not catch the fact that there is water in the basement?’” Hanson recalled in an interview…

I wonder if any of those contractor would like there work inspected? Remember as well, they are looking for work.
Appears the Mike Holmes’s syndrome has taken affect.

The end of the articular is particularly bias.
Last month the CSA Group, a Canadian not-for-profit standards organization, published Canada’s first national standard on how home inspections should be conducted.

Ontario, Alberta and B.C. all helped fund the creation of the standard.
The three provinces say they are currently in the process of reviewing the document and deciding whether or not to incorporate it into their regulations.

Organizations create the certifying process. They enact the standards and ethics members should follow. That is the legal jest of complaints.

Due diligence are reasonable steps taken by a person in order to satisfy a legal requirement, especially in buying or selling something.
I am sure asking if they carried errors and omission would satisfy the omissions legal inquiry.

A comprehensive check list of questions to ask the home inspector would better define what a home purchaser should look for when hiring a home inspector.

I feel home consumers will get little useful information from this.

This helps fuel the call for licensing. As we already know licensing is not a cure all for what ails the home inspection sector. On the other hand it may cull some of the home inspector herd, but it does not guarantee an absolute flaw-free home inspection.

On another note with each province putting their own spin on what is best consumer protection, looking at a national perspective not only are standards inconsistent, also consider the qualification requirements too. No wonder consumers are confused on what to really expect even with the proclaimed new CSA Home Inspection Standard and quality standard of a home inspection.

Thank you for you thoughts on the subject, home inspector regulations, Claude.

I agree with home inspector regulations.
Home inspection licensing does not make you a better inspector just as holding a valid driver’s license does not make you a better vehicle driver.

To further my point, in Quebec the provincial regulator overseeing real estate transactions, the OACIQ, refers whom they think are bonafide/certified home inspectors.
Four (4) planks were developed.
1: Education.
2: Standards of practice.
3: Code of ethics.
4: Insurance. E&O/GL.

InterNACHI fulfilled all criteria/planks by the real estate regulator, OACIQ. Members can be referred by real estate brokers in Quebec.

There are 3 other home inspection associations in Quebec that are recognised by the regulator. All great examples of how the home inspection industry has evolved in Quebec to protect consumers.

IM-humble-O, allowing a/the provincial regulator to implement a four (4) plank system separates any apparent conflicts of interest that can arise between home inspection associations.
It allows full transparency.
As well, the provincial regulator markets to consumers and their agents of what should expected.

Bravo OACIQ.
Bravo Gilles.
Bravo InterNACHI!

Licensing can help but if an inspector is not doing his/her job than it won’t matter. Someone can go and take the carson dunlop program and be licensed here. That only proves that they are book smart. They could be lazy and not have a clue about the home inspection industry.

Licensing solves NOTHING. (Jim Bushart)

You should never wish for it.

Where did you get those 4 planks above?
Below copied from OACIQ’s Buyer’s Guide page 41 at:

Under the regulations, real estate agencies and brokers must make sure that the building inspectors they
recommend:
1-are covered by professional liability insurance;
2-use a recognized inspection service agreement;
3-perform their inspections according to recognized building inspection standards;
4-submit a written report to the party that requested their services.

Nothing is said about education nor Ethics…

Thanks Marcel - for the clarification.
Cheers…

Merci d’avoir précisé les détails Marcel!

Best regards,
Pat

Morning Claude.
Hope all is well.

Thank you for the clarification.

To answer your question, by talking to the OACIQ prior any InterNACHI member. Threads are archived.

If you read what I wrote, the outlines are similar/identical. The functions are the same but sequenced differently.

You require a recognized (1) Education to start.
Then a stand of practice, (2) SOP.
(3) COE, code of ethics.
Lastly, (4) liability insurance.

1-are covered by professional liability insurance; 4: Insurance. E&O/GL.
2-use a recognized inspection service agreement; InterNACHI COE (9)
3-perform their inspections according to recognized building inspection standards; InterNACHI SOP
4-submit a written report to the party that requested their services. InterNACHI COE (10)

InterNACHI’s Great!
inachi logo.JPG

Things have come along way sense 2010.
Sure happy Gilles helped InterNACHI.
Great work Gilles.

Morning Marcel.
Hope you are in good health and spirits today.

First off, let me thank you for the clarification. I was going to post the OACIQ document but decided to define the answer personally.

To answer your question, by talking to the OACIQ prior any InterNACHI member. The threads are archived.
As well, I have personally discussed my business role in Quebec’s governmental departments, RBQ, CSST, and commissions.

If you read what I wrote, the outlines are identical. The functions sequenced differently.

You require a recognized

1-are covered by professional liability insurance; 4: Insurance. E&O/GL.
2-use a recognized inspection service agreement; InterNACHI COE 9. The InterNACHI member shall use a written contract that specifies the services to be performed, limitations of services, and fees.
3-perform their inspections according to recognized building inspection standards; InterNACHI SOP
4-submit a written report to the party that requested their services. InterNACHI COE 9. The InterNACHI member shall use a written contract that specifies the services to be performed, limitations of services, and fees.

InterNACHI’s Great!

Things have come along way sense 2010.
Sure happy Gilles helped InterNACHI.
Great work Gilles.

To me the association tied to OAICQ seems a bit conflicted. Perhaps it’s just me.

Although it is good to be cooperative with the provincial real estate bodies, there should be “arm’s length” distance between home inspectors and the provincial real estate body.

Again perhaps this is just a Quebec thing to circumvent licensing and gain acceptance as a professional inspection body.

Just asking for clarification…

No not just you. At first I thought so as well, Claude.

My point of view has changed considerably.
Hear me out. By the provincial regulatory body for real estate setting the requirements home inspectors must maintain as a minimum, that minamum bar everyone talk about, that bar impedes Association fighting for recognition, and limits association bias.

I think the OACIQ have done a great job by listening to “all sides”, and that includes consumers.

Clearly their mission or vision statement sounds honourable, but more directed to “brokers” and the authority of “real estate”.

From their website: OUR VISION
The OACIQ is the authority of real estate and mortgage brokerage in Québec. It protects and assists the public by ensuring sound broker practices.

I also find this quite interesting “Under the Act, the OACIQ is required to create an Inspection Committee. It is made up of executive officers of real estate or mortgage agencies and of brokers acting on their own account. However, these brokers do not personally conduct inspections, but rather use the services of inspectors.” web link: https://www.oaciq.com/en/pages/comite-dinspection

It’s an Inspection Committee to inspect Brokers to ensure sound broker practices. That Inspection Committee has nothing to do with Home inspectors.

This is the equivalent of RECO’s I&I Department - Inspection and Investigation. Part of the compliance verification…

Best regards,
Pat

Again - thanks Marcel & Patrick for the clarifications. I guess you need be cautious of the wording.

I’m afraid that the culling of the herd has already taken place Claude. With the lack of inspections over the last 18 months, and the tightening of the market since, many inspectors have left the profession seeking other ways to make a living.

Unfortunately a large percentage of the inspectors left are operating to lower professional standards, offering cut price or verbal walk-throughs and providing inspections as a side business.

These are doing nothing for professional standards and only creating more pain for the Professional Inspectors still trying.

Marcel, with all due respect. By saying the Inspection Committee has nothing to do with how real estate brokers and home inspector interact during their relationship is unsubstantiated at best.

By the very title, “Inspection Committee,” refers there is organised committee, either chosen or elected, to perform specific duties & functions.

As well, the regulator laid out terms; 1: Covered by professional liability insurance. 2: Use a recognized inspection service agreement.
3: Perform their inspections according to recognized building inspection standards. 4: Submit a written report to the party that requested their services., so real estate brokers can be held harmless.

Could you please provide a link from the OACIQ in reference to the,“Inspection Committee,” and what their objectives are?

Seeing you have entitled yourself as spokesperson for InterNACHI Quebec, excuse me if I am wrong, I am sure we would all like to have the some tangible information seeing not much has been provided by yourself and the Quebec chapter.

I didn’t say that, you just did :roll:
Excuse yourself, you are wrong again :roll: now go away!

Marcel if Robert is incorrect I do not think he deserves to be attacked .

Why just not correct what you think is wrong .
These attacks just tend to destroy The NACHI forum and we could end up with Many inspectors no longer trying to help others .