Home Inspectors Elect New Leadership from All Corners of the Province except Toronto

**Fair warning OAHI pushing for licencing cannot happen under their watch! Don’t let OAHI let any of you become fodder. Unite and make your voice heard!
**It’s an affront to all home inspectors given how OAHI operates to have them dictate government policy!

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/May2011/31/c9187.html

In a year in which municipal, federal and soon provincial elections have produced immense leadership and representation change in Ontario, the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors have followed suit and opted for mainly smaller market representatives. Members are also expanding their inspection of new homes and sharing their expertise in new and existing housing stock via a publishing arrangement.

MISSISSAUGA, ON, May 31, 2011 /CNW/ - Historically, Canadians love to hate Ontario and Canadians and Ontarians love to hate Toronto. With a large proportion of its membership from the Toronto area, the members of the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors (OAHI) have appointed a Board of Directors from almost everywhere but Toronto. Less a matter of anti-Toronto sentiment, this represents a resurgence of grassroots interest in the Association and profession of home inspection. Simultaneously, terms for directors have been extended from one to two years to ensure continuity of leadership.
Directors and Officers of the Association are:

President Robin Green, RHI, Oakville
Vice President Donald Beneteau, RHI, Windsor
Secretary Peter Weeks, RHI, Ottawa
Treasurer Kirk Iredale, RHI, Exeter
Director John Armstrong, RHI, Orillia
Director David Cook, RHI, Stayner
Director David Leech, RHI, Meaford
Director Pam Sayne, RHI, Haliburton Highlands

Continuing on this path of change and adaptation, members endorsed two further initiatives. OAHI, in a new deal with technical publisher, Orderline, has entered into an arrangement in which its members will author a variety of publications for the public, real estate consumers and other technical users on various subjects relating to existing and new housing and small buildings. The goal is to share OAHI’s considerable expertise in the state, design, construction, renovation and operation of new and existing real property, and create a more informed marketplace.

Secondly, with funding from the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities and in conjunction with the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors, National and Provincial authorities including Tarion Warranty Corporation, OAHI has launched a New Construction Inspection (NCI) training course. The NCI course is available to its members and is based on a new standardized protocol for the inspection of new homes under warranty, as part of a pilot program. The hope is that by standardizing an inspection protocol, consumers and other stakeholders will be better served and construction quality further supported. The Ontario experience will be used to inform protocols in other provinces within which new home warranty systems vary in terms of design, scope and mandate.

The members also voted to redo the OAHI website to upgrade and modernize the look, feel and substance of the site for clients and other stakeholders such as candidate inspectors.

OAHI continues to enhance protection for consumers by remaining in formal contact with Ministries of Municipal Affairs and Housing and Consumer Services to enhance knowledge of its members in building codes and standards, and expressing its position that all home inspectors in Ontario should be formally qualified to practice. For the first time, OAHI participated with other professional and regulatory bodies on the advisory committee for the Housing portion of the 2012 Ontario Building Code.

President Robin Green commented that: “OAHI’s goal in all of these matters is to support consumer protection through improved qualification systems, training, and communication.”

About the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors:
The OAHI was formed in 1987. In 1994, the OAHI became a self-regulating professional body when the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors Act received royal assent, granting the OAHI the exclusive right to define qualification requirements, regulate its members and grant the designation “Registered Home Inspector” and “RHI” to qualified practitioners in the Province of Ontario, under control of title. The OAHI is dedicated to providing consumer protection by enhancing the technical skills and professional practice of home inspectors, and maintaining high professional standards through education and discipline.
For further information:** Robin Green, President
Ontario Association of Home Inspectors
416-256-0960
r.green@oahi.com

I have to think most OAHI members care less about this industry .
I see many OAHI members visit this NACHI site and seldom do they make a post on any thing.
They do not seem to share ideas or information with this industry on the NACHI site .
Shame on those selfish OAHI Homies

Roy

Its not about the members its about a body that is representing itself as the voice of inspectors in Ontario. That statement should be looked at with jaundice eyes.

These twitts have no business telling any government entity how home inspectors should be licenced/regulated given their corrupt and discriminatory practices, not to mention the well documented sins.

Isn’t it interesting that it is always the same groups of ‘industry leaders’ who try to have themselves installed as the arbitrators of who will be ‘ordained’ as a home inspector?
There are other alternatives that do not require that all inspectors are ruled by a self appointed elite. Stay tuned.

George

We already have read in the media that the COO of OAHI is on the record as stating OAHI licences home inspectors, which it does not.

No correction or retraction from the COO in the media.

About the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors:
The OAHI was formed in 1987. In 1994, the OAHI became a self-regulating professional body when the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors Act received royal assent, granting the OAHI the exclusive right to define qualification requirements, regulate its members and grant the designation “Registered Home Inspector” and “RHI” to qualified practitioners in the Province of Ontario, under control of title. The OAHI is dedicated to providing consumer protection by enhancing the technical skills and professional practice of home inspectors, and maintaining high professional standards through education and discipline.

I guess this is why the OAHI is of the opinion that everyone in the HI business should bend over and kiss their a**'s

Doug

The whole act is being breached because anyone in the Registry is a Registered Home Inspector regardless of their rank. (i.e. student, applicant, associate, full member).

OAHI actively and purposely has been breaching a number of its bylaws and policies for years.

Directly taken from PR 158

The Ontario Association of Home Inspectors has applied for special legislation to become incorporated for the purpose of carrying out its objects, to enable it to govern and discipline its members and to grant to its members the right to the exclusive use of the designations “Reg- istered Home Inspector” and “R.H.I.“. The applicant represents that it is an unincorporated association that is a division of The Canadian Association of Home Inspectors.

12. (1) Every member of the Association whose name appears in the register may use the designations “Registered Home Inspector” and “R.H.I.“.

It seems that the Toronto-based OAHI has adopted many tricks from the *Toronto Real Estate Board *how to run an organization - or how to control the membership to one’s self-serving advantage. However - their 30.000 fee paying members have at least some tangible benefits.

In contrast - an *OAHI *membership and its RHI designation is virtually meaningless - and does certainly not provide any advantages in the marketplace. Twenty years after its founding, the OAHI has become nothing more than an income source for one clever training course provider. The recent claim that the OAHI is the author of the “New *Construction Inspection Course” *is simply absurd. There is not even one puppet on the current Board of Directors who has the intellect to even compose the published press release.

I have said it before: The operation of the OAHI has been influenced right from the outset by an elite group of autocratic profiteers from behind the curtain. OAHI members have become one of their steady income sources because of the mandated education requirements to remain an OAHI member in good standing.

RUDOLF REUSSE - Home Inspector since 1976 - RETIRED

They should drop the adjective “Registered.” “Registered” has a negative connotation in marketing. It implies that you become registered by simply registering, like you would register a pet in case it gets lost.

That’s how the general public views the word.

Furthermore, in Canada, especially Ontario, there are Certified Master Inspectors (CMI). RHI is essentially a stepping stone on the way up to CMI… with professional designation titles to match their true pecking order.

Why is CMI and RHI given equal recognition in Alberta where the CMI designation somehow “slipped in”?

BC wouldn’t recognize the CMI…not rigorous nor defendable!!!

Good points.

Gee I know little about Alberta and BC ( you tell us BC has dificultiies)
I do know about Ontario.
Now lets see to be an OAHI RHI you need
zero hours of education
Zero amount of Inspections .
Zero time in this industry .
No lets see to become an CMI
You need 3 years in this industry .
You need many home inspections #1
You need many hours of Education #2
Combining #1and #2 for a total of 1,000

http://www.certifiedmasterinspector.org/cmi/app.html

To bad you have not read the rules before making such a stupid post .
Roy Cooke CMI RHI

Who does a background check on these claims on the affadavit…Oh right!!! just swear that you have all the requirements…not rigorous and defendable in most professional organizations.

Get your CMI within 48 hours…almost as quick as overnight “certification” given here (to the chagrin of many, really only a “**certification of membership” **): pass your entrance test…pay your fees…and show up on the “FEATURED INSPECTORS” public list the very next morning!!! Slick, Nick!!!

From a member to myself:
"definitely not something I’m proud to boast about, considering it took me all but 2 hrs. to become “certified” "

Pr 158

1. The objects of the Association are,

(f)* to seek and maintain affiliations with, and to co-operate with, other organizations having objects, in whole or in part, the same as or similar to the objects of the Association.*

Another breach of the Act! OAHI purposely thwarted National Certification, purposely does not liaise with any other association other than CAHPI and ASHI.

It also refused to provide to OAHI members the financial reports for CAHPI even though OAHI collects fees and submits them to CAHPI.

Any other association is simply a threat to OAHI’s money making ventures and membership drive.

A 44% drop in membership is indicative that OAHI can no longer placate members with **** and bull.

I suspect that come July 1, when membership renewals are due there will be another drop in renewals. It simply cannot deliver anything it promises do to funding and irregularities with its financial reports.

Brian

Brian has a brain fart and states:
*Just because Raymond interpets the regulation in a certain way does not make it correct. *

Look buddy, you don’t know as much as you like everyone to think you do. It is not only my opinion but that of lawyers who also were kind enough to look at the act and similarities with other associations who have similar legislation.

For once before you open your cavern check your facts. I and other live in Ontario we know what is what and you don’t.

Secondly any inference you are making with regard to Roy and his RHI are totally irrelevant and are total speculation on your part. The official record showed that OAHI and certain members acted without cause, overstepped the bylaws for ulterior motives (retribution) lied and spend membership monies on a wasteful ego driven agenda. Those are the facts so before you make allegations or inferences I suggest you do your research. You know just enough to make a fool of yourself.

I felt you Brian

are not too swift but to take from
6/2/11 7:03 PM Current Activity: Replying to Thread Home Inspectors Elect New Leadership from All Corners of the Province except Toronto
too Brian A. MacNeish

6/2/11 7:26 PM
by Brian A. MacNeish http://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/lastpost.gif 23 minutes to write your gibberish confirms you have trouble explaining what you want to say .

Roy Cooke CMI RHI

Quite a brilliant discussion you’re trying to conduct, Roy!!! Don’t have a good, reasoned response…attack the other person’s intelligence!!!

Obviously, Roy…you have** little to say** when you have to try and monitor my actions…simple things amuse simple minds!! So Sad!!

Another chapter to the “Roy and the Brianstalk” fantasy??

BTW…do you know any RHI’s that got the designation with
“Zero hours of education
Zero time in this industry”?

Com’on…cough it up!!!

Gee Brian you are not improving
Last Activity: 6/2/11 7:36 PM
Current Activity: Replying to Thread Home Inspectors Elect New Leadership from All Corners of the Province except Toronto

6/2/11, 7:54 PM 18 minutes

BTW…do you know any RHI’s that got the designation with
*"Zero hours of education *
Zero time in this industry"?

Personaly no but I can get their Names very easy , Why do you ask .

Your Question ( Wasn’t there a bit of a fight about you getting your RHI designation…are you the “One”?? )

YES there was and OAHI lost and also paid part of my Court cost also.
You see Brian I stick for this industry and will continue too.
What have you done for this industry .

This industry, just having entered its adolescence, needs a few critics to help it improve…

Can we get back to the the topic at hand?

We are talking about OAHI manipulating government entities and claiming to be the voice of the inspection industry in Ontario.

1. (1) The board of directors may pass by- laws regarding such matters as are necessary to conduct the business and carry out the objects of the Association and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, in addition to the matters specifically elsewhere provided in this Act, the board may pass by-laws, ***to establish and prescribe such categories of membership as are necessary for the purposes of the Association and in the public interest;