Home sprinkler systems

I just talked to my insurance agent had talked to the insurance Company and they charge a higher premium if you have a sprinkler system
in the home .

They also will not cover water damage if the sprinkler goes on in a fire .

They do give coverage for Knob and tube but charge a very high surcharge .

They will not give insurance if the home has been a grow house Period.

They will cover aluminum wiring if all receptacles and switches have been upgraded to CO/AL .

Roy Cooke Sr

Interesting I would have thought that the insurance rate would be lower. Did he explain why the rate was higher. Is it because of the water damage?

Yes even if you have a fire and the sprinkler puts it out they will not pay for water damage . I guess this is because of the huge Mould claims i the Usa and they wish to stay away from these types of claims if they can .

Roy Cooke sr.

It seems that insurers can set their own rules, or change them from time to time as they see fit. As stated earlier I would have thought that the insurance should have been discounted because of the extra margin for fire safety. Such was common practice for commercial buildings.

So would they rather see minimized damage or a whole house possibly destroyed in a fire?

Fire sprinklers were never meant to reduce damage. There not even meant to to put fire out. The mearly cool the fire to slow it down long enough for people to get out. Thus they propect from loss of life not property damage

I have to think it is just Canada being behind some modern protection systems .
I will stay on top of this and see what more information I can gather .

http://www.libertymutual.com/omapps/BlobServer?blobcol=urlimage&blobheader=image%2Fgif&blobkey=id&blobtable=ImageFile&blobwhere=1057675295504

http://www.libertymutual.com/pm/images/1x1trans.gif

Sprinkler Systems

Fire sprinkler systems aren’t just for apartment or office buildings anymore. Today any home can have one these high-tech, life-saving devices designed to extinguish fires in a flash.

Home fire sprinkler systems, in fact, can contain and may even stop a fire in less time than it takes for the fire department to arrive. Here are some other important reasons why you should consider getting one.

Some Surprising Facts

• Installing both smoke alarms and a home fire sprinkler systems reduces your risk of dying in a home fire by 82 percent.
  • Only the sprinkler closest to the fire will activate, spraying water directly on the fire. Ninety percent of fires are contained by the operation of just one sprinkler.
  • Nationally, on average, home fire sprinkler systems add 1 to 1.5 percent of the total building cost in new construction.
  • The odds of accidental sprinkler discharging due to manufacturing defect are 1 in 16 million.
  • Modern residential sprinklers are inconspicuous and can be mounted flush with walls or ceilings.
  • Home fire sprinklers use only a fraction of the water used by a fire department hose.
  • Having a home fire sprinkler system may reduce your homeowners insurance premium.
    For more information on home fire sprinkler systems, visit www.homefiresprinkler.org.

Plan Your Escape

Even with home fire sprinklers, the same fire safety rules apply. When you hear a smoke alarm, get out fast. To increase your family’s chances of survival during a fire, be sure to:

Sooo, is the water and ax damage that the fire deptment cause covered?:smiley:

No insurance Companies do not want to pay any claim and they all will wiggle and squirm to try and get out of paying ;.
I tell people if they have a fire the first thing you do is call the fire dept. then your insurance agent then your lawyer .
Every one I know of who has had a fire has never been satisfied that they where treated with dignity ,professionally or honestly by the insurance companies .

Roy Cooke sr Royshomeinspection.com

The following is an excerpt from the 1997 Alberta Building Code.

Bedroom windows shall provide unobstructed openings with areas not less then 0.35 sq m (3.77 Sq Ft) and with no dimension less then 380 mm. (15"). If unsprinklered security bars shall be openable from the inside without the use of any tools or special knowledge. Section 9.7.1.3 Alberta building code (1997)

Hi. Roy;

Hope this goes through.

http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp?categoryID=276&itemID=18249&URL=Research%20&%20Reports/Fact%20sheets/Fire%20protection%20equipment/Automatic%20sprinkler%20systems

This might help in residential sprinkler systems and yes I agree that any Insurance Company that does not acknowledge the safety and property loss saved by a sprinkler system is taking people over the coals.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG></IMG>

I don’t know if it’s fair to lump ALL Insurance co’s together. I’ve been in the fire & flood restoration buss. over 25 years & have never had a insurance co not want to pay for water or Axe damage caused by the fire dept. Adjustors will pay out according to the type of policy/coverage the home owner has purchased. Just my 2 cents. Doug

So I guess they want you to install one of those multi $$$$ Halon or CO2 systems?:shock:
Ya gotta love 'em. Sell you all the insurance you can use as long as there is no risk and no loss!

So Doug
do you say if people have a fire the companies do not try and get out of paying for the many things lost in a fire .
This is not the case of any I know who have had a fire . Who can remember all the things they have lost . This is where many pictures ( upgraded regularly ) and keep a disk copy at some ones else home .

I don’t know if it’s fair to lump ALL Insurance co’s together. I’ve been in the fire & flood restoration buss. over 25 years & have never had a insurance co not want to pay for water or Axe damage caused by the fire dept. Adjustors will pay out according to the type of policy/coverage the home owner has purchased. Just my 2 cents. Doug
Roy Cooke sr

What about legislation the OFM is trying to put in place that will eventually require new homes to have sprinklers? The OAFC is lobbying the government for this at present.
Ron Morrison

Help what do these letters stand for . I do believe sprinklers are the way of the future . I do live in the country and our insurance company is owned by our selves so it some times is a bit behind . I have never heard a complaint about how things have been handled . We all should be so lucky . I only wish we could have home Inspectors insurance handled by the members and do as good a job.
Roy Cooke sr Royshomeinspection.com

OFM is the Office of the Fire Marshal; OAFC is the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs.

Note my wife works for the local fire department and is passing on the info.

Ron Morrison

Thanks all information greatly received . Please thank you wife for any thing she is able to tell us .
Roy Cooke sr