Internachi

Internachi Canada is extending a special offer to current NACHI members to join for the discounted rate of $50 for the first year. Please come to the message board and sign up for a free account at www.internachi.us, there is a thread called Ask Internachi, where we will be there to answer any questions you may have. See you there!

can someone please tell me what internachi is?

thanks
mario

What can you offer that NACHI can’t?

I am still waiting to see what NACHI is doing for Canadians, never mind Inter Nachi?

When you click on the benefits link at internachi all you get is :

res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/pagerror.gif

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.Please try the following:
[ul]<LI id=list1>If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
<LI id=list2>Open the [COLOR=#4e4e4e]www.internachi.us home page, and then look for links to the information you want. <LI id=list3>Click the [res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/back.gif

Back](javascript:history.back(1)) button to try another link.
[li]Click [res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/search.gif[/li]
Search](javascript:doSearch()) to look for information on the Internet.[/ul]

**HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer

What aare you doing for NACHI?

I asked the question first.

And for the record other members in Ontario know what I have been doing for NACHI! What are you doing?

Well, when aaasked I diiid thiiis; From an email to a fellow inspector-friend of mine…

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC]Another decision I made – to not go with CAHPI (BC) at this stage. ******WHAT?!? You’re thinking???****** Haha… well, when I really checked out what they had to offer me at this stage, I decided that it wasn’t enough. For instance, it takes all of about 15 minutes to check out everything that the CAHPI (BC) web site has to offer. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC][www.cahpi.bc.ca](http://www.cahpi.bc.ca/)[/FONT]

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC]Their web site is all about who their organization is, how important they are, and how to join them – but there is virtually nothing there to support the inspector. You go to their Members' Forum and there are hardly any inspectors using them (except for the same ½ dozen) and it’s not active at all, with most of their most recent forum posts being weeks and months old.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC]On the other hand, I went to www.nachi.org](http://www.nachi.org/) and checked them out (The National Association of Certified Home Inspectors). Well, I must have spent about 4 hours on their web site reading information, and I wasn’t even scratching the surface. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC]I learned very quickly that CAHPI (BC) is about supporting CAHPI (BC), while NACHI is about supporting its inspectors. For instance, it costs $500 to write the CAHPI (BC) exams. NACHI is FREE! NACHI has volumes & volumes of information about everything to do with home inspections and the 'business', while CAHPI (BC) has nothing. Check this out; they did it for me for free…[/FONT]

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC][www.inspectorpages.com/alarsen1](http://www.inspectorpages.com/alarsen1)[/FONT]

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC]Another thing is that while NACHI ******SUPPORTS****** Home Inspectors – from everywhere – CAHPI (BC) doesn’t and would like to have everyone believe that they are the **end-all, be-all** of Home Inspections. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC]From the first page of their web site…[/FONT]

CAHPI(BC) is presently seeking regulatory control of the home inspection industry through the Province of British Columbia, so that consumers can be better assured of inspector qualifications

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC]Regulatory control is great to give credibility to the industry, but the whole fallacy is that CAHPI (BC) would have everyone (realtors, the public and new inspectors) believe that unless an inspector belongs to CAHPI (BC) that he isn’t a qualified inspector – and that’s bull****. Roland doesn’t belong to CAHPI (BC) – he belongs to ASHI. Brett doesn’t belong to CAHPI (BC) – he belongs to NACHI. Whether it’s CAHPI, NACHI, or ASHI – all of them use practically ****identical Standards of Practice, ****all of them have entrance exams (NACHI makes you write a different one every year), and all of them are long standing organizations (CAHPI is the newest).[/FONT]

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC]I’m NOT saying that CAHPI (BC) doesn’t have qualified inspectors in their organization – they absolutely do – but so do other organizations – only CAHPI (BC) is actively trying to get everyone to believe that only they do. Prior to figuring it out, I was led to believe that I had to first become a member of CAHPI (BC) in order to head down the national certification road… which the sentence I pasted from their web site alludes to - only this is NOT the case; that road does not yet exist.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC]The majority of the realtors that I have spoken to believe that CAHPI (BC) inspectors are the only inspectors who are nationally certified. Well, that is simple crap, based on some very “vague” truths that CAHPI (BC) has been spreading, as CAHPI (BC)’s inspectors are NOT nationally certified. ****This is because there is no Canadian National Certification program in place yet****, which is being developed by ****CAHPI**** and the CMHC at the NATIONAL level, not CAHPI (BC) at the provincial level. This certification program MAY exist by the end of 2007, but once in place, and regardless of whether you belong to CAHPI (BC), NACHI, ASHI, or have no affiliation at all – an Inspector will still have to go through the national certification process to become nationally certified.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC]If you want to be technical about it – of the organizations I mentioned, the only inspectors who can legally use “certified” at this stage are NACHI inspectors, as they belong to the National Association of 'Certified' Home Inspectors.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC]Don’t you just love politics? I was actually a little pissed off when I figured it out. And when I did I wrote the NACHI exams (which were pretty easy after taking the program that we did), and became a member of NACHI. Then I wrote to CAHPI (BC) and asked for my money back. If they ever develop a Canadian certification process at the national level, which I hope they do, then I shall join it as necessary… but I refuse to join an organization that only gives you half-truths, takes my money, and does very little to support me.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC]Anyways Bev, I’m not trying to discourage you from doing anything that works best for you and your business. CAHPI (BC) is doing a good job of selling themselves, and an affiliation with them does have benefits, as you will be viewed as credible by realtor offices – and that’s good for business – but it wasn’t for me and I am willing to go into detail with anyone who will listen (like I did with the manager of Landmark Realty [/FONT][FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT][FONT=Tempus Sans ITC] ) as to why.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC]Email me back or give me a call to let me know how it’s going. We can grab a coffee sometime.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC]Cheers![/FONT]
[FONT=Tempus Sans ITC]Arne[/FONT]

Great post Arne
good to hear from you .
You are so right this BB is great and lots of wonderfull information is traded on a continuing bassis .
I went on line 2006/04 at 3;35 AM eastern time and there wher 3 Members and 33 guests right now at 1;07 PM eastern time there are **21 members and 30 guests
**Most users ever online was 323, 5/6/06 at 9:30 PM. .
This is a great place at any time day or night to find information .
If I can be of any assistance please ask
Roy Cooke sr,… RHI… Royshomeinspection.com

Arne,

Very good points, and valid. Can’t argue with the comments, but then again we already new much of what we know about OAHI-CAHPI because they are one in the same as CAHPI-BC. It seems to be based on the ability to extort money from members who haven’t done their research. They have no one to blame but themselves for thinking they are Gods Gift to the inspeciton industry!

Viva la difference!

Ray I think there might be something wrong with your website at the moment. I seem to recall a great explanation of the state of the industry on there. I plan to add a similar talk on my website. As Arne pointed out there is no certification in Canada, but OAHI would have us and all realtors believe that there is. The more of us who educate the public about the truth the better off we will be. There are 420 Nachi members in Ontario. We should have more brand recognition. We all need to spread the word. GO NACHI GO!
CB

Craig,

I can’t find that file now, I thought I had it saved but can’t find it.
Is my site loading okay?
http://www.raymondwand.ca

Thanks.

Found it. Please feel free to use it as you see fit, and edit to your liking.

Currently the inspection industry is made up of four inspection Associations.  These are ASHI, NACHI, OAHI and CAHPI, membership is not mandatory in anyone of  them, only one of these organizations is granted under Provincial law to  self-regulate, which is The Ontario Association of Home Inspectors. The Board of  Directors and various committees consist solely of home inspectors who oversee  the administration and governance of the by-laws sanctioned under PR. 158. This  is a voluntary board without remuneration expect for expenses, they are elected  yearly by the membership, and committees are formed under the direction of the  Board. Under PR. 158 OAHI was granted the right to issue the initials R.H.I.  (Registered Home Inspector) and to define entry requirements, and education  standards acceptable to the Association, via the Board of Examiners. The  Disciplining of members is overseen by the Discipline and Professional Practices  Committee that deals with complaints from the public.

Because home inspectors are not legislated to belong to any association to ensure they meet a minimum requirements, and continuing education, there are wide discrepancies in the profession. Membership in anyone one of the above organizations does not ensure competency, nor does it assure the public that their complaints or the member’s complaints will be addressed objectively because these organizations are run by home inspectors. Please remember home inspectors are not perceptive to the legal requirements of self-regulation and the board and the committees are made up of lay people (home inspectors), and often those checks and balances are breached, with no accountability. This results in a breakdown of the core principles and legislation of PR. 158. If by-laws are to be ignored, and arbitrary decisions made, then the confidence is lost, and self-regulation becomes a paper Tiger.

I feel it is time for the government to step in and clean up the home inspection industry, and license home inspectors. The government should undertake a full audit of OAHI, and then set-up an overseeing council made up of seven people. The Minister of Consumer and Business Affairs should appoint a government designee, four active home inspectors, and two consumers to the Council of overseer’s. The Board of Directors would be responsible to the Council to ensure compliance with self-regulation, and/or licensing of inspectors. This will ensure that a self-regulating body is not made up entirely of its own members, and to ensure the public confidence in inspection industry.
As to image of the the inspection industry as a whole, I would say it has a long way to improve its professional image. Self-regulation does not prevent sole proprietors or large inspection companies from offering all manner of draws directed to Realtors, and the public as seen in some instances. It also seems that the inspection industry is to close to the Real Estate community, and there needs to be a distancing as there seems to be a perception that home inspectors are working for the agents… Many inspection companies rely solely on agent referrals, and market their services heavily to them. Currently one home inspection company is offering a $10,000 draw along with a free home inspection! Some inspection companies are also owned by large corporations, which use questionable advertising to lure customers. There are also many home inspector schools that will take your money and give you a certificate after a two-week course. These schools are flooding the market with untrained unqualified inspectors in an already unregulated profession. OAHI should be restructured so that only accredited college certificates in Home Inspection are accepted as proof of having the qualifications to practice. Many franchise companies promote their members, regardless of qualifications, education so long as the Inspector takes the franchisor courses and passes their exams. In an effort to protect their liability franchisees typically state, “Each franchise is independently owned and operated.” or other disclaimers to ensure their risk associated with the inspection is nil.

The Board of Directors of OAHI is obligated to carry out the Pr. 158. Problems occur when directors do not fully understand their roles. The corporation and the board are required to take all reasonable steps to ensure compliance with the Act, the by-laws and rules. The directors are not entitled to decide what breaches of the by-law will be tolerated or ignored, or what special interests or conflicts will be ignored. This appears to be the case with the Board of Directors of OAHI. There are times when directors create issues, not necessarily, because they have failed as to their roles or are over zealous, but because they are simply dictatorial and unreasonable through lack of consultation with the members, or lack of qualified legal advice. OAHI is being run as a private club with some companies and members having special privilege, and where complaints go unanswered. This might explain why there has been a 30% drop in membership within the last year and a very large increase in NACHI. NACHI has also endeavoured to help home inspectors in the United Sates push for legislative regulation, and assist members with marketing, conferences, education, and educating the consumer.

I would caution any homebuyer to be careful and pay particular attention to inspection companies that claim they are the largest, or do more inspection than anyone else does, or are number one in the business. This has no relevance to inspecting, nor do outrageous statements such as: 1,600-item* inspection report is simply the best in the business as used by one company. * Membership in any association does not ensure the public is protected, and I would strongly urge the Provincial Government to ensure the public is protected from an industry which protects itself, particularly in Ontario.
The insurance industry has played havoc on the inspection business. Many inspectors can no longer afford the high insurance premiums for Errors and Omissions Insurance, through no fault of their own. Minimum premiums start at $5K, with $5K deductibles. These premiums do not cover for previous acts. Therefore an additional premium is required to ensure prior acts are covered and usually for only 2 years back. The premiums for such coverage are in addition, and can run approximately anywhere from $1,500 to $2,000. So as you can see to have proper coverage in place inspectors must at the very minimum pay 5K. Inspectors cannot get E&O alone but must also have CGL (comprehensive general liability) which costs approximately ,200-$1,500 if available. Many inspectors cannot get insurance because the insurers have stringent requirements which affect coverage. Most insurers will want the inspector to be in business for several years, no claims within the last 5 years, many insurers will not issue policies if the inspector quotes prices for repairs, or the insurer does not like your advertising. Many inspectors who can gain E&O coverage are advertising it to the public as some form of insurance or warranty or guarantee. This is a falsehood. Insurance is solely for protection of the inspector, he is paying the premium, and E&O is to protect the inspector from negligence. It is not an automatic payout system. To enact the insurance coverage the inspector must report the claim to the insurer, the insurer investigates, and usually will offer an settlement or continue to deny liability. In most circumstances the insurer will offer to settle before the matter reaches court. The settlements are often accepted by the plaintiffs well before court. This whole process of suing the inspector could take anywhere from a minimum of one year to three years to complete. The insurer decides the payout, not the inspector. This by no means serves the public and it is unfortunate many in the inspection business portray their insurance coverage in a false light. Again be very careful how your prospective inspector is advertising any form of insurance. You as the client will have a long drawn out affair to deal with, and in most all cases you the plaintiff will have to hire a lawyer to seek remedy from the insurer. Each year the insurer charges more and more, and covers less and less.

I’m trying to promote NACHI in this province but the responce on this board should give you some idea of the success I’m having.
Managed one meeting so far but only six HI’s attended.

If you changed BC to AB in the above post it would apply to Alberta.
It seems that all the Prov. Assoc. are following the same game plan.
When I checked the Alberta Assoc. out I found what you did in BC.

Arne:

Welcome aboard.

You finally figured it out.

Regards, from Larry, the old man of the inspection industry.

Larry