Jack Layton,Died this morning

A wonderfull person who did much for our country .4;45 am this morning .

Jack Layton, the New Democratic Party leader who led his party to Official Opposition status in this year’s federal election, has died after a battle with cancer. He was 61.

Jack Layton.jpg

Jack Layton’s letter to all Canadians .

Jack Layton, MP, Député
Toronto – Danforth
Leader of the Official Opposition/Chef de l’Opposition officielle
Leader, New Democratic Party/Chef, Nouveau Parti démocratique
**[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]August 20, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
**[/size][/FONT]*[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Dear Friends,
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Tens of thousands of Canadians have written to me in recent weeks to wish me well.
I want to thank each and every one of you for your thoughtful, inspiring and often beautiful notes, cards and gifts.
Your spirit and love have lit up my home, my spirit, and my determination.
Unfortunately my treatment has not worked out as I hoped.
So I am giving this letter to my partner Olivia to share with you in the circumstance in which I cannot continue.
I recommend that Hull-Aylmer MP Nycole Turmel continue her work as our interim leader until a permanent successor is elected.
I recommend the party hold a leadership vote as early as possible in the New Year, on approximately the same timelines as in 2003, so that our new leader has ample time to reconsolidate our team, renew our party and our program, and move forward towards the next election.
[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]A few additional thoughts:
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]To other Canadians who are on journeys to defeat cancer and to live their lives, I say this: please don’t be discouraged that my own journey hasn’t gone as well as I had hoped.
You must not lose your own hope.
Treatments and therapies have never been better in the face of this disease.
You have every reason to be optimistic, determined, and focused on the future.
My only other advice is to cherish every moment with those you love at every stage of your journey, as I have done this summer.
[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]To the members of my party: [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]we’ve done remarkable things together in the past eight years. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]It has been a privilege to lead the New Democratic Party and I am most grateful for your confidence, your support, and the endless hours of volunteer commitment you have devoted to our cause. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]There will be those who will try to persuade you to give up our cause. But that cause is much bigger than any one leader. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Answer them by recommitting with energy and determination to our work. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Remember our proud history of social justice, universal health care, public pensions and making sure no one is left behind. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Let’s continue to move forward. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Let’s demonstrate in everything we do in the four years before us that we are ready to serve our beloved Canada as its next government.
[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]To the members of our parliamentary caucus: [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]I have been privileged to work with each and every one of you. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Our caucus meetings were always the highlight of my week. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]It has been my role to ask a great deal from you. And now I am going to do so again. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Canadians will be closely watching you in the months to come. Colleagues, I know you will make the tens of thousands of members of our party proud of you by demonstrating the same seamless teamwork and solidarity that has earned us the confidence of millions of Canadians in the recent election.[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3] [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]2 [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]To my fellow Quebecers: [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]On May 2nd, you made an historic decision. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]You decided that the way to replace Canada’s Conservative federal government with something better was by working together in partnership with progressive-minded Canadians across the country. You made the right decision then; it is still the right decision today; and it will be the right decision right through to the next election, when we will succeed, together. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]You have elected a superb team of New Democrats to Parliament. They are going to be doing remarkable things in the years to come to make this country better for us all.
[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]To young Canadians: [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]All my life I have worked to make things better. Hope and optimism have defined my political career, and I continue to be hopeful and optimistic about Canada. Young people have been a great source of inspiration for me. I have met and talked with so many of you about your dreams, your frustrations, and your ideas for change. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]More and more, you are engaging in politics because you want to change things for the better.[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3] Many of you have placed your trust in our party. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]As my time in political life draws to a close I want to share with you my belief in your power to change this country and this world. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]There are great challenges before you, from the overwhelming nature of climate change to the unfairness of an economy that excludes so many from our collective wealth, and the changes necessary to build a more inclusive and generous Canada. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]I believe in you. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Your energy, your vision, your passion for justice are exactly what this country needs today.[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3] You need to be at the heart of our economy, our political life, and our plans for the present and the future.
[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]And finally, to all Canadians: *[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Canada is a great country, one of the hopes of the world. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]We can be a better one – a country of greater equality, justice, and opportunity.[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]We can build a prosperous economy and a society that shares its benefits more fairly. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]We can look after our seniors. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]We can offer better futures for our children. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]We can do our part to save the world’s environment.[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3] We can restore our good name in the world. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]We can do all of these things because we finally have a party system at the national level where there are real choices; where your vote matters; where working for change can actually bring about change.[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3] In the months and years to come, New Democrats will put a compelling new alternative to you.[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3] My colleagues in our party are an impressive, committed team.[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3] Give them a careful hearing; consider the alternatives; and consider that we can be a better, fairer, more equal country by working together. [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Don’t let them tell you it can’t be done.
My friends, love is better than anger.
Hope is better than fear.
Optimism is better than despair.
So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic.
And we’ll change the world.
All my very best,
Jack Layton
[/size][/FONT]