looking for actual data on pre listing inspection success

Good morning:

Many articles I have read refer to pre listing inspections resulting in a higher sale price and a shorter “on the market” time.

I have not, however, been able to find any empiracle documented numbers to support this. It, of course, would seem logical to assume that if a homeowner would make repairs prior to listing the home that this would be the case.

The reality here would suggest that a prospective buyer would have comfort in the pre listing report if it equivically states that the home is indeed structurally sound and safe,for example.

Since there is so much emotion in the buying process, I wonder if actually this can be a proven premis.

Perhaps someone might just have such information and would be comfortable sharing this.

I thank you in advance.

Bill Marston :cool:

Co mon guys. I know I am new in the business and all. With all the expertise and knowledge out there, surely someone has an answer.

Thanks

Bill Marston

I do not have the data, but I would simply suggest that providing a written report is looked upon as providing a “professional opinion”. I rarely have done or would accept pre-inspections. First and foremost from the burden of “potential liability” that is “could or might” bring to the inspector.

What purpose could the report serve? Likely many others will have an opportunity to see and use the report for a very different purpose than intended for the original client. Remember that the purchaser is not obligated to adhere to the same terms as the original client.

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2007/2007abqb175/2007abqb175.html
http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abpc/doc/2002/2002abpc152/2002abpc152.html

I provide Pre-Listing reports. Basically my clients want me to inform them of defects [condition] prior to their home going on the market. They decide what they want to repair and what not to. The service is for the seller more than potential buyer’s. I do about 1-2 per week on average.

BTW Rarely has this stopped the buyer’s from having an inspection of their own performed. Again it’s more for the seller’s.

To me the purpose of a pre listing inspection would serve several purposes.
Firstly, if the owner has lived in the home for a number of years, it is unlikely that this would give rise to a legal situation. It clearly would state in the pre inspection report that this document is not to be used as a condition of sale.A declaration by the owner of the condition of the home is also a document that would be useful. It seems to me that very few of these inspections are taking place in my area.
Secondly,the purpose is simply to allay uncertainty tthat a prospective buyer might have concerning the structural integrity and saftey issues of the home.
It is not intended to be a comprehensive report covering minor issues. These would be dealt with in a full inspection presumably done if the prospective buyer would insist on an inspection as a condition of sale. This of course assumes that the real estate agent would recommend this. In my area, many do not.

Claude…You know I read your citation…Do you not think this is irrelevant. If I was a purchaser of a home and hired this ***…e, I would sue him too.

[8]The Plaintiffs completed the purchase of the home on May 2, 2000, and moved into the home on June 15, 2000. They soon discovered several problems with the home, beginning with leaking that became evident when it rained on their first day in the home. Other problems that required significant and costly repair subsequently became apparent. These problems included significant deterioration of the cedar siding and cedar shingles, extensive water damage to the ceilings as well as cracks in the skylight, corrosion on the sewage pump and its electrical outlet that caused a sewer backup, and rotting of various elements in the house.

Citations such as that are just a few reminders and wake-up calls of the risk, vulnerability, and yes poor reporting skills in the industry.

I will not comment on the issue of the inspectors experience or other abilities. But based on following many court cases involving inspectors a clear pattern develops.

On the issue of what is the purpose of the pre-inspection - the inspector has very little control once the report is used to help sell the house. The inspection report can be used for many things - but it is also used for reliance. Often it is available for those that are interested in buying and readily available. One can disclaim and offer limitations all they want - but the judge will decide what is the law.

test

Visit Romania! We need tourists to support the Gypsies! http://www.romaniatourism.com/

The “Romanian A$shole” has been identified as RAYMOND WAND OF CALEDON, ONTARIO, CANADA
He has been expelled from NACHI for ethics violations.
Here is the link to his website, you can all decide if you want a gooffy guy like this to inspect your next property.
http://www.raymondwand.ca/leftframe.htm

Raymond Wand Home Inspection Service
Since 1991
519-942-9496

About RWHIS

http://www.raymondwand.ca/jpg/ray.jpg

Raymond Wand provides professional residential inspection services to buyers and sellers throughout Caledon, Wellington, Halton, Dufferin, and Peel Counties in Ontario, Canada.

As the principal inspector, Raymond has earned his reputation as a professional in the home inspection field by providing effective quality service. Raymond has conducted over two-thousand inspections for satisfied clients from Canada, including some of Canada’s top CEO’s, as well as corporate and private relocations for clients from the U.S.A., England, Germany, and France. The company has been operating full time locally since 1991. At RWHIS, business is derived exclusively from reputation, referrals and repeat clients.
QUALITY, SERVICE, ETHICS AND INTEGRITY
Raymond has a background in building and property management as well as construction and repair. He has extensively renovated several of his own homes, including the historic 1849 stone-grist mill in Hillsburgh, Ontario. Currently he owns a picturesque, forty-acre farm located on Shaws Creek in Alton and has lived in the area for over 20 years,experience and local knowledge that have helped make RWHIS the preferred choice amongst astute clients.
It has often been said the quality of any company can best be judged by the quality of its people. Raymond will gladly be judged by the quality of his service.
C****AVEAT EMPTOR
It is your right to know about the condition of a property you are about to purchase.
Consider making a home inspection a pre-condition of your Offer To Purchase.
Alternatively if you are about to sell, consider a pre-listing inspection.
ETHICS [size=3]• Raymond does not give or solicit referral fees of any kind •
• Concentrating on one inspection at a time •
• Pride in the accuracy of each inspection •
• Prompt, courteous, honest, and reliable service •• Focus on quality not quantity •[/size] And I am always on time!

Reposted from another forum.

My real name is Raymond Wand, from Home Inspection Services. I give Blow Jobs to any dissatisfied clients. I also offer baby sitting services [boy’s only] to all clients.

I have been expelled from NACHI, ASHI and OAHI for ethics violations. I serve on the Heritage Committee of the Town of Caledon [my days are numbered with the town] as of today. I pray that Mario doesn’t follow through with his promise and e-mail the committee. There is a women on the committee that I like, and she has a small child [a boy] and I’m hoping that they will live with me on my farm.

I would like to apologize to all NACHI members for my recent and past posts on this MB.
I promise it will not happen again. Please forgive me.

Regards

Raymond Wand
[FONT=Verdana][size=2]http://www.raymondwand.ca/leftframe.htm](http://www.raymondwand.ca/leftframe.htm)

Raymond Wand Home Inspection Service
Since 1991
519-942-9496[/size][/FONT]

**RAYMOND WAND YOUR IP ADDRESS GAVE YOU AWAY!#-o **

Are you still angry for bing kicked out of NACHI?

I am surprised!

I thought that little people AKA… :|.) [size=4]Midgets / Dwarfs:|.) like you were supposed to be HAPPY people no matter what! [/size]