Message from Claude Lawrenson

Claude Lawrenson, RHI, National Certificate Holder
NCA Chair

Much has happened since the last update in the spring 2007 issue. One recent, major development in the Program was the completion of
the Equivalency Assessments for CAHPI British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, AIBQ and Atlantic. To date these associations
have been granted equivalency for the RHI membership category with the Background Review requirements for National Certificate Holder. What this means is anyone having achieved the RHI designation in these Provinces can apply for National Certification and be granted equivalency and by design fast tracked through the Background Review, upon verification of their RHI status by their Association. These Applicants fill out the shortened application form, eliminating the need to search for documentation regarding education and qualifications that may have been filed away many years ago. Once verified, these Applicants can be scheduled for their Test Inspection and Peer Review (TIPR), which is the final step toward receiving their Certificates. Equally of interest at the time of writing, several other associations have expressed their interest in applying for Equivalency Assessment status.

An accreditation agreement for the accepted Educational Institutions & Training Providers is currently coming into effect. The Accreditation agreement will lay down the guidelines for current and future education, review, testing and examination of Applicants. Applicants will
now have contact to an extremely reliable and wide variety resource to assure that their education and training has prior credit and endorsement of meeting the Home and Property Inspector National Occupational Standards. At present there are 115 National Certificate Holders with approximately an equal amount in various stages of certification review. To handle this extra work load some additional examiners have been trained in those particular geographical areas requiring additional support. Equally as important Deputy Examiner’s are now appointed in most all of the provinces. They serve as the main provincial contact for the administration of the Test Inspections with Peer Review process. In addition, the secondary processing of applicant background review will be contracted out to those home inspection associations that meet and signed the Equivalency Agreement.

Elections will take place at the CAHPI National Conference this year. Positions on the NCA will be filled by a vote of all National Certificate Holders. Approximately half of the NCA members will be replaced by elected individuals in 2007 and the other half in 2008. Appointments will be for a two year term, with half of the members replaced each year. That will ensure continuity, while maintaining a fresh stream of elected volunteers to oversee the National Certification Program.

In closing I would like to encourage all home inspectors in Canada to consider the opportunity to become a National Certificate Holder, particularly in light of the changes for the end of this year. At that time the criteria credits change, so it is an opportunity to beat that deadline. In addition, I would like to thank both of my predecessors (Graham Clarke and Ari Marantz) for their hard work and enthusiasm in helping in moving this valuable program forward. Equally recognition needs to be acknowledged to all the members of the National Certification Authority, the National Certification Council and the National Accreditation Council for their thoroughness and dedication in the huge tasks they faced. Last but not least, a real heartfelt thank you for the long hours and the commitment of Sharry Featherston – a real blessing as our Registrar and National Administrator.

"particularly in light of the changes for the end of this year. At that time the criteria credits change, so it is an opportunity to beat that deadline."

If I understand this statement it appears that the requirements will be increased significantly in the near future and all applicants from that time on will have to conform to these new requirements. At the same time all those who applied and were accepted at the lower requirements are still opperating as national certificate holders.

Apparently I mistakenly thought that C.A.H.P.I. and the national did not support “grandfathering”. Or is this an attempt to drum up business?

Huh. Go figure!
:roll:

George,

There is also a requirement for a legal course. Which will be a required necessity for National Cert. It is my understanding this course does not yet exist.

http://www.nca-anc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=41

A few years ago there was some people who came into this industry with many promises and very little information
They kept telling us every thing was OK and we all would be so much better of .
They too gave no information and evaded all questions .
They kept saying you can trust us we are just out looking for the home inspector.
They managed to drag this on for a few months with evading and giving no information and lots of smoke and Mirrors.
Well The National Certification directors continue to evade and get upset with those who dare to ask questions .
If a person asks to many questions the NC directors tries to belittle those people .
Then when that did not work the question askers where called liars.

I am sure some will remember Mr Michael Napadow does this not sound like the same tune all over again,
You can trust us we are only out for the home inspectors .
We are not making any money on this it is all volunteer .
Well It seems like some of those who said they where a volunteer are making money and still questions are evaded and not answered.
Promises have not been kept and NACHI members who are trying to find the truth are chastised

Do a goggle search for Nations Hazard Insurance or Michael Napadow and see the comparison.

It was Home inspectors who lost money last time too.

… Cookie

What does this mean?

Does anyone need one of these certificates to perform home inspections?

Maybe I am reading the info wrong at

http://www.nca-anc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=41

Why are the colleges listed at 250 hours and accredited where as for a franchise the threshold is much lower? Does this mean Pillar to Posts in house training is better or more selective in meeting the National Accreditation?

This appears to be the same with the other educational providers, Professional Home Inspection Institute and Global Property Inspections.

Big disparity in hours?

Thanks,

No but Claude Lawrenson and Bill Mullen sure have convinced many how great it is going to be .
Bill Mullen did basically the same thing a few years ago and many invested A lot of money and zero returns .

Remember Whistler http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4935

… Cookie

On the issue of hours credited - this applies as “accredited” training hours in a recognized program/course of home inspection by the NCA. One taking a 50 education hour course or program of study “XYZ training school” still requires the 200 hrs of education + 50 hours of practicum field training to meet the minimum level for acceptance plus successful completion of the TIPR. (The 50 hours counts towards the 200 hours for education (200-50 = 150 hours + 50 hours of practicum)).

On the issue of the different levels of entry requirements - this was and remains part of the program - right from the initial start point. It would be difficult to institute accredited training without having accredited training providers that a home inspector could go to for training. The ones you currently see are only those approved to date, there are more in process including both Canadian and U.S. based training providers.

One also needs to remember that “grandfathering” is basically an automatic pass - no person has been granted or will be granted an automatic pass. Those associations that have chosen to participate and have that “formally” applied, and have been “independently” reviewed by the management consultants and have qualified to be accepted with equivalency agreements now reap the benefits of having their members placed more efficiently and expediently into the national certification program. This is based on documents of proof to assure validity an audit trail. This does not constitute a “free pass or grandfathering” provision. It is based on the “documentation” and verification of the administration performed and so recognized for those equivalency associations as a matter of record for the level of entry of certain category of applicants into the program.

In addition. all national certificate holders must also provide documented proof of the continuing education credits yearly. This is verified in all cases. With this verification and audit a national certificate holder’s status can and will be revoked. That is part of the reason why meeting groups such as SW-OAHI started providing week-end seminars. Again, participants sign and sign out of sessions and tracking is done to assure that participants receive their due CEU credits.

Thanks for the clarification.

The way the info is presented on the website makes it appear one could be accredited having less hours of education.

Cheers,

Sorry, Claude…

This sounds like its about control, as opposed to anything else. Socialized Home Inspections, homoginized and “accredited” by those with an axe to grind, something to prove, elitism, or the desire to control the home inspection industry.

The more I read about this national program, the more suspect it becomes.

Sorry, Claude…

This sounds like its about control, as opposed to anything else. Socialized Home Inspections, homoginized and “accredited” by those with an axe to grind, something to prove, elitism, or the desire to control the home inspection industry.

The more I read about this national program, the more suspect it becomes.

Sounds more and more like PHIC…You determine which associations qualify…Give us a break.

I contend that Home Inspectors don’t need the policing activity of a NCA. In addition it appears that the title “National Certification” was chosen to entertain the thoughts that you may be representative of the provincial governments. Is this the case?? If so…Few will have interest in your efforts.

I like your idea, but… I really feel that if your group concentrated more on benefits and education for the Home Inspection Industry in Canada, your plight may be easily obtained and accepted by the masses.

Until such time you appear to me to be simply a policing group, much akin to Pennsylvania’s PHIC group of misfits.

Needless, good luck…

NICE response John.

From what I’ve seen recently in my area from some newer participants in the HI industry (incuding one company selling franchises in its first year in the profession), the industry needs much more scrutiny and control. This is almost starting to sound like a pyramid scheme- sell a franchise and help get the franchisee get “certified” within a few weeks…and the money starts rolling in. Or if the new guy fails, at least you got his initial money and somebody else will be along to want to become an HI…must be pretty easy…I watch all those shows on HGTV so I know a lot about houses, right!

Brian

Thats been part of the problem, at least one former well known franchise President in Canada has had too much infuence within associations which could only be termed as conflict of interest.

Is it socialized control or quasi-licensing? Call it what you like, but nobody is forcing anybody to join. It is the national home inspection model for Canada.

It really is all about choices. So NO - I did not say that - but based on your implication neither myself or the NCA body stops any home inspector from practicing in Canada. It does however offer certain benefits that will be recognized in the very near future. Ongoing discussions have indicated endorsement of the national certificate holder in many areas, as the future currency to obtain particular avenues or work. They want specific known quantifiable and reliable practitioner that has met a certain level of competency. It may or may not have an impact on their future work.

We do know and have watched about the success and the failures or weaknesses of licensing in the U.S. impacting the home inspection sector. We also know and have 3 provinces out of 10 that are steering directly towards what we call “right-to practice” legislation, with a number of other ready to follow. So changes are coming and some are reading themself for the change, while others would rather not. Again its all about choices.

So where is the axe to grind - if it is voluntary? On the other side the certificate holders are required to meet and maintain certain standards. Is that a bad thing? All associations have to face up to due diligence in this area of recruiting and maintaining members. Some choose a higher standard, others choose another level. Is that is any different than the other options out there in the marketplace, where some feel grandfathering solves everything? At least someone is looking at it from a quality and reliability standard. Should consumers expect anything less? No they deserve much better.

On the other point you may have missed the part about the management consultants. Are you implying that they have an axe to grind, and they provide recommendations and act unprofessionally?

Are you also implying that lowering the bar and dropping the Canadian National Occupational Standards will really helps the masses for home inspectors in Canada? Or more so, “professionalizes” the “profession”?

However, what we do see is a large interest in many U.S. based associations and training providers in voluntarily participating. The same opportunities apply, so it is ultimately all about choices. There names are already popping up in our accredited training program schedule, with many more to follow. So we must be doing something that some believe in. Again everyone is entitled to an opinion, but not everyone will always agree on one.

Thank you for your feedback.

As per usual no information . Many, a large amount , If you look at the red above Claude has said as per usual Nothing .
This has gone on for almost two years and never does he give any information .
We just found out from Bill Approximately 120 have passed the NCA.
In two years this is the only numbers we have been given it has been many and lots and quite a few .
I have no idea how any one can even think about this being a good idea when no information is given .
We have been told a great many dollars have been invested $2,000,000;00 then they admit it is just their fancy book keeping .
We have all invested many many hours and that is worth a lot of money. No rules no finices have been publicized .
Just the wants of Bill and Claude .
This is exactly the way the conned many into spending a large amount of time and money to go to whistler .
They all where going to make $i,000;00 an inspection doing new homes and they needed 1,000 + inspectors and every one who went would be making money hand over fist, BS abounds, facts are not given.
You can not even go to the NC web site to see who has passed.
http://www.nca-anc.com/index.php?lang=en
… Cookie

Claude,
First, I have no doubt you are about 110 percent behind the industry in your efforts, just as much as others have been. Guys such as Bill Mullen. Roy, I do feel Tom Lloyd is trying his best. … however.
I have watched the push toward the NCH from the time I joined OAHI. At the first it was touted as being a nationally recognised certificate being equal to RHI level. However a few of the old boys from the old boys school in OAHI cried like babies as we all know they want to hold their grip and make themselves look good (by stating, but not being able to prove) that an RHI is the ultimate goal. They devalued the NCH designation.
I was inspecting long before joining OAHI and will be if OAHI goes under. (which it will if it keeps on the course it is going) There are former members that have left because of the way OAHI is run.
Currently I am talking to several long time members of OAHI who make a lot of sense when they state that the NCH acronym will make no difference to the world we see everyday. How many clients have actually asked you “Are you an RHI?” I think one has asked me this in the last 2 years. Actually more have asked me if I was bonded than have asked me if I am an RHI. Sad to say I have to state the RHI designation at this time is really not worth the paper it is written on. One day I hope it is. That is the only reason I stay as a dues paying member of OAHI. Currently it is worth NOTHING!
WHY???
Mostly because OAHI and it’s controllers are interested in their own agenda rather than promoting the home inspection industry. When OAHI gets their act together and starts to promote the industry (as well as be user friendly)they may very shocked at how many new members they will get.
If so many names are popping up who are accredited, then why does OAHI get the special rate and others pay more? No one is given the credit they deserve (unless they are a member of OAHI). This is very unfair. It does show OAHI has a grip on the NCH no matter what is said.
Untill all current acronyms are understood by the public, what is the use of having another one? I have asked quite a few of my clients, but mostly the realtors about the RHI designatuon. About 3-4 percent understand the acronym RHI. The rest do not. nor do they understand CHI, OAHI, CAHPI, NCH? (what is that?). Getting our regular contacts to understand the current acronyms and education system should be far more important than adding another bit of confusion to what is currently on the table.

but based on your implication neither myself or the NCA body stops any home inspector from practicing in Canada. a certain registar in OAHI tried to tell me I could not inspect, but as I told them, I was inspecting long before paying dues to an unfriendly organization and will continue to do so, as this is not something they should be trying to control. That attitude is what stops many from joining OAHI.

Personally I feel that until OAHI gets its house in order, it will not grow (and if it does not soon, it may completeely collapse), but to try to bring in another designaton now is a bit of a money waster… but not my money.

David

You forgot to mention the big, big, big, big, concern with the lack of accountability of the financial affairs. No one has seen the final 2006 statements, nor has anyone seen any quarterly reports since the New Year.

You also have certain individuals making lots of money off of instructing courses to the exclusion of other inspectors.

I think you are going to see a watershed event come renewal time. Unfortunately OAHI has exerted too much influence with the National, to the exclusion of others.

A big shake up is coming.

The latest gaff occurred when Marco Ganasinni sent Steve Maxwell that dam info which Steve Maxwell took as gospel, nor was that info done through the PR committee. It did more damage than OAHI realizes, and they can thank Marco for talking about something he obviously has no clue about!

Have you read the CHI magazine about opening electrical panels? Did you read Tom Lloyds reply on what OAHI is doing about it?

More people like you need to voice their opinions and expose the negligence.

Cheers,

Raymond; can you post that information on the electrical panel for the rest of us?