Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Local Inspection Issues > Canadian Home Inspectors

Notices

Canadian Home Inspectors This is a place for Canadian InterNACHI inspectors and other home inspectors in Canada to discuss local home inspection topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11/13/13, 6:45 PM
InterNACHI Vendor

Default Re: Mike Holmes "Make It Right"

Understood. He therefore has not violated any codes, etc...since this simple deck having only a few components cannot be commented on. It seems to be easy to state that he violated codes, but not so easy to identify those codes.
Need a home inspection in New Brunswick? Check out InterNACHI's listing of New Brunswick certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 11/13/13, 7:58 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Actually he went above the building code here and installed lag bolts into the house framing. That is not a requirement here.

Greg Mathias, CCHI
Journeyman Carpenter
Level I Thermographer
Certified Master Inspector
Global Property Inspections
(780)205-9912
Old 11/13/13, 8:31 PM
Banned

Please Note: kwood is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcherchuk View Post
Understood. He therefore has not violated any codes, etc...since this simple deck having only a few components cannot be commented on. It seems to be easy to state that he violated codes, but not so easy to identify those codes.
Trust me he violated the Code on open TV many times.
Old 11/13/13, 9:34 PM

I like Mike. Been watching since 2003.
Old 11/13/13, 9:42 PM
Banned

Please Note: kwood is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmathias1 View Post
Actually he went above the building code here and installed lag bolts into the house framing. That is not a requirement here.
See what I mean!
But on other things it was just a big show with violations clear as day.
Remember that none of us here do Inspections to minimum codes ever. But if you make statements you go way above but cant follow a simple guide for deck building. What does that say?
He has gotten progressively better but at what cost?

Last edited by kwood; 11/13/13 at 9:49 PM..
Old 11/14/13, 6:19 AM
InterNACHI Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwood View Post
I would have to painfully go through it again, sorry no time at this moment.
Understood. It seems very easy to say that someone is always wrong, but not so easy to illustrate exactly what was violated.

A deck is a very small structure and does not have many main components, so it would seem very easy to point out where these errors were made, or what codes were violated. Since this cannot be done, then one could reasonably assume all is OK with his decks, etc....
Old 11/14/13, 8:50 AM
Banned

Yes it would also be very easy for you to do so to limit the chance of you not understanding the seriousness of pointing out what is wrong on the MB. It goes to safety, proper approved practice and many many other things that makes the show entertaining to the average Home Owner. However giving them the wrong info is not and will never be accepted.
Not so to real Contractors, Home Inspectors or Real Estate Agents that every day have to explain what the rules are.
When or where you built the deck also does as Greg has pointed out. Still does not make it right.
Disclaimer says None of the practices should be used for comprehensive advice.

Last edited by kwood; 11/14/13 at 9:10 AM..
Old 11/14/13, 9:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmathias1 View Post
So Greg, If you don't need to use lag bolts what is allowed? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 11/14/13, 9:47 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

9.4.2.3. Platforms Subject to Snow and Occupancy Loads

1) Balconies, decks and other accessible exterior platforms intended for an

occupancy and subject to snow loads shall be designed to carry the specified roof snow

load or 1.9 kPa, whichever is greater, where the platform, or each segregated area of

the platform, serves a single
dwelling unit. (See Appendix A.)

This was pulled from the National Building Code of Canada
I know and you know that bolting the deck to the home is better but no where in the code does it say to use bolts. According to an engineer I spoke with if you have four nails every 16" along the ledger it will exceed the 1.9 kPa that is required.

Greg Mathias, CCHI
Journeyman Carpenter
Level I Thermographer
Global Property Inspections
(780)205-9912
Old 11/14/13, 9:59 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

I never excepted nails to hold the ledger board in my reports .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.decks.com/deckbuilding/Ledger_Board_Fasteners

Ledger Board Fasteners

It is very important that you use the correct size and type of fasteners to install your ledger board. Your deck will depend on the load carrying capacity of these screws or bolts to support hundreds of pounds and prevent the deck from ripping away from the house. The most common method is to install ½” lag bolts with washers or carriage bolts with washers. You will usually need the length of the bolt to be at least 4”-6" to penetrate through the 2x ledger board, the house sheathing and into the solid house rim. Never counter sink bolts. This will significantly weaken the ledger board. In a ledger board application, a ½” x 4” lag bolt was tested to provide 180 lbs support of allowable shear load per screw.
Old 11/14/13, 10:03 AM
Banned

Well I am glad he did not listen to that advice. Do you still require the proper spacing and proper graspable handrail or is that different also?
Whenever possible I recommend free standing deck design to keep from attaching to the home for obvious reasons.
Your comment on Codes shows me clearly why it is a minimum.

Last edited by kwood; 11/14/13 at 10:12 AM..
Old 11/14/13, 10:23 AM

More on Mike ,I have these all on disk. Sorry this is the best I can do.
Attached Thumbnails
mike-holmes-make-right-roy-1.jpg   mike-holmes-make-right-roy-2.jpg   mike-holmes-make-right-roy.jpg  
Old 11/14/13, 11:02 AM
Banned

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...-pay-attention

2009 Deck Code Changes - Pay Attention!

comments (27) May 21st, 2009 in Blogs
Email
Mike Guertin, editorial advisor

Add Comment
Print
Share This
The 2009 International Residential Code (IRC) has a number of big changes when it comes to framing decks. If your state, county or town will be adopting the ’09 IRC you’d better take a look at a copy of the code before you get a code violation.
The changes are all related to how you connect the ledger to the building. For one, there’s now a prescriptive chart for fastener patterns, no more ‘rule of thumb’ bolt or lag screw frequency. You just match the depth of your deck to your fastener of choice (1/2 inch lag screw, 1/2 inch thru-bolt or 1/2 inch thru-bolt with stacked washer space) and you’re good to go. But you are going to need a structural engineer if you want to bolt your deck ledger to anything but a 2x rim joist or a 1 inch thick Douglas Fir LVL rim. This means you have to know how the floor is framed when adding a deck to an existing building. Plus if the rim joist is concealed on the inside, you have to provide some sort of visual access for inspections – get out the hole saw….
And if you never noticed the one code provision that’s been included in the IRC for years in section R502.2.2 that says: “Where supported by attachment to an exterior wall, decks shall be positively anchored to the primary structure and designed for both vertical and LATERAL loads as applicable” then you will when you look at the new section R502.2.2.3 Deck lateral load connection. There’s a new prescriptive lateral load connection option you can use to keep the deck from pulling away from the building. Even though you are not required to use the detail, it will most likely trigger the notion in your local building official's head that "Hey, I should enforce something." And unless you have an engineered alternative solution, your local inspector may require that you use the connection as detailed.
Take a second look at the drawing above – the detail uses a long threaded rod that connects the floor joist of the house to the floor joist of the deck. On the bright side, you only have to install a couple of these on each deck (yeah, even if it’s just a 4 ft wide landing deck). The trick of course will be finding the brackets; they aren't commonly stocked yet. Right now there are only 2 available – the Simpson Strongtie DTT2Z and USP's DTB-TZ – that meet the 1500 lb. load requirement.
If you don’t have your copy of the 2009 IRC you can get most of the information from the 2007 supplement to the 2006 IRC online at the ICC website. Check out pages 34 – 36 for the deck sections.
There are other provisions in the new deck section of the code that eliminate mounting a ledger to a cantilevered floor and prohibit mounting girders to a ledgers, and a few other things. So before you get a violation notice and have a bear of a time revamping your deck frame to meet the new code, keep apprised of your local adoption schedule for the 2009 IRC and check it out.
Editor’s note: If you are planning to take on a deck project this summer, in addition to the 2009 IRC, you’ll want to consult our new Deck Planning Center. The IRC covers the code, our planning center covers everything else.

Last edited by kwood; 11/14/13 at 11:05 AM..
Need a home inspection in New Brunswick? Check out InterNACHI's listing of New Brunswick certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 11/14/13, 11:14 AM

http://www.deckfailure.com/
Have a look

WELCOME TO DECKFAILURE.COM

2013 Deck Failures - See our new gallery format
2013 Hall of Shame - See our new gallery format
We welcome you to our website

Old 11/14/13, 11:18 AM

Well I guess there will be a lot more decks built as free standing.

As a Professional Home Inspector, I support the privacy of my clients.

www.InspectraPro.com
www.MinnesotaHomeInspector.biz

Michael Larson
Hudson, WI

Services provided in East MN and West WI

Call me