OAHI recommended CMHC publications for sale.

----- Original Message -----
To: bob@aciss.biz
Cc: education@nachi.org ; Nick.Gromiko@nachi.org
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 6:57 AM
Subject: Home Inspection Reference Material

[FONT=Arial]I am no longer involved in the H.I. industry but I have the complete Carson Dunlop Home Inspection Training System along with the videos, as well as some OAHI recommended CMHC publications that I would like to get rid of.

The value of all the reference material new would be over $3 500.00.

I will let it all go for $2000.00.

Please contact me at gfd31@firehousemail.com if you are interested, or call 705-689-9966 and leave a message if no answer.

Robert King
Formerly Muskoka Home Inspections
[/FONT]

carson and dunlop!!

keep it.not worth a dime.

i know most colleges use his material with the exceptions of george brown and humber college.had you taken a course there you might still be in the inspection business.i’m sorry low blow,but really the books are not worth anything.

Interesting comment Mario. Did you purchase a set or is this info you have heard from other people. I have been recommending this system to many people and hope I have not been making a mistake .
I do have some of the tapes and found them dry but exceptional informative.
I do know many very successful Home Inspectors who started with this system.
As for Mr King I do believe he has become very busy in his other job and does not have the time to invest into the home Inspection industry.
If I can be of any assistance at any time please feel free to ask and I will do my best to help .
Roy Cooke Sr… RHI… Royshomeinspection.com

Mario,

Having graduated the Home Inspection program from Seneca College, which is the Carson Dunlop program, I have to say that I completly disagree with you!

Take a look at what Algonquin college offers for a home inspection program, not even close to the C & D program. C & D has great information and really prepares one for the industry provided they are willing to increase their knowledge through additional courses, workshops, etc.

Christopher
If anyone is not “willing to increase their knowledge” etc. they shouldn’t be in this business. The industry is always changing and we have to keep up with it. So your statement about Carson Dunlop is irrelevant. To my knowledge the C&D course is code based and I just do not see the need for a code based course. The code changes constantly and you cannot retro legislate code. Law is another matter altogether, we are by and large more concerned about safety issue and air quality. If the government passes a law, like the new law mandating smoke detectors on all levels of the home, that is what we should concerne ourselves with not code. If you are going to do a lot of PDI and Phase inspections I would suggest that your code skills are top notch other than that stick to knowing what to advise your clients on the day to day issues.
Larry

Chris

What did you get through seneca? Did you simply buy the books and use them as texts or was there more to it? If one was to just buy the books and read them how much are they missing as compared to taking the class?

THX
CB

I don’t understand what the thread title has to do with original post :-k

Here in Alberta we have a “Safty Codes Council” that is mandated to train Safty Codes Officers.
What is a Safty Codes Officer? Well they are inspectors trained to inspect all new building construction for complience with the Alberta Building Code.
The NBC, National Building Code, a recommended building code published every ten years. About two years after the National building code is published. The ABC, Alberta Building Code, a repeat of the NBC with revisions that apply to Alberta conditions is adopted by the provincial government.
If your defination of “changes constantly” is every ten years then so be it.
If you take a minute to think about it, all building codes are Safty Codes.
Hence the name “Safty Codes Council” or “Safty Codes Officer” used here.
No codes or laws can be retroactive at least not in this country.
When the provincial government publishes the building code does it not have the same effect as a law?
The new 2005 NBC calls for smoke detectors and carbon monoxide monitors within 3 m (10 feet) of any bedroom. Since the NBC is a recommendation the provinces then unually adopt these recomendations and attach fines and other penalties.
That Sir is the law at least in my book it is.

Roy

if you would like to recommend this course to people that’s up to you.
keep in mind that this company carson and dunlop up until recently would not hire anyone to work as a home inspector unless they were an engineer.now they are selling their program to anyone and claiming that it is the best and that inturn you will be the best and also pass the’ difficult ashi exam’the course consists of ten modules each module is approx.50 hours for a total 500 hours,and can be completed in as little as ten weeks.

they also claim that a home inspector can perform as many as 500 inspection s in one year ‘ashi’s study showed the average is 243 inspections per year’
AT $250.00 PER INSPECTION 200 INSPECTIONS WOULD RESULT IN A GROSS INCOME OF $50,000.00. WOW!!!

Roy i have seen an inspection report from c&d let me tell you the cost was $500.00 plus g.s.t. the inspector found his deficiencies and next to them was a cost to repair or replace prices were way off.which brings me to my other point,when i took defect and recognition at oahi course,i took this course at conestoga college in kithener ontario,they also teach c&d program.one of the instructors you might know alden gibsonR.H.I.,he stated that he always gives a cost to repair or replace and that figure is within 300%. yes 300% when i suggested why he even bothered in front of the entire class i was in the dog house with him the entire two weekends. cont. next tread

alden gibson not only is an inspector but he also teaches at the college.
i have been in construction for 30 years,if i gave an estimate to anyone that was within 300% do think i would get the job?not likely.
i’m currently finishing three courses at george brown college for my certificate,not a carson and dunlop program.i live so close to george brown it made sense to go there.not a bad program but not as good as humber college.c&d not even close to these programs especially humbers program.
my opinion only Roy!!
i also think we got off track a little bit,my point was why would someone buy something like this for $2000.00 with no feedback no marks no help in terms of asking questions of an instructor over the phone ,no certificate , why? just for info?you can buy a lot of books with plenty of info for a lot less.in my opinion not worth a dime!!

regards
mario

Mario
Thanks for your Thoughts .
A bit of my Back Ground . I was a OAHI member for some time and served on some of the committees and do know a little about OAHI. ( this is another story ).
I also use the C&D Home Reference reporting system.
Yes C&D only uses Engineers and always have . They do now have another company that does not require Engineers .
C&D have been the Main supplier and teaching for the inspection industry for many years well over ten ( I believe ).
You can buy what ever you prefer from them ,they do offer good follow up on their courses if wanted .
I again say I have never heard from one ( and I do know many ) who have taken the C&D course and become a home inspector complain that they wish they had not done this . I did not myself take their course so all my information comes from those who have.
Many of the more succesfull inspectors can do 500 inspections in a year.
Most do not charge only $250:00. (I charge $399:00).
I have many stories and much information if you wish to talk please call and I will try and help . Roy Cooke sr 613-475-1144

version with Video, CDROM and Tech Support available.**CDN $3,295.00
**Complete Home Inspection Training Program w/ tech support (pre-paid)
Home inspection training program. Complete set of 9 texts and videos or CDROMS plus technical support.**CDN $2,795.00
**Home Inspection Training Program Books and Videos or CDROMs (pre-paid)
Home inspection training program. Complete set of 9 texts and videos or CDROM’s.**CDN $2,295.00
**Home Inspection Training Program Books (pre-paid)
Home inspection training program. Complete set of 9 texts.

Larry Wrote:

Christopher
If anyone is not “willing to increase their knowledge” etc. they shouldn’t be in this business. The industry is always changing and we have to keep up with it. So your statement about Carson Dunlop is irrelevant. To my knowledge the C&D course is code based and I just do not see the need for a code based course. The code changes constantly and you cannot retro legislate code. Law is another matter altogether, we are by and large more concerned about safety issue and air quality. If the government passes a law, like the new law mandating smoke detectors on all levels of the home, that is what we should concerne ourselves with not code. If you are going to do a lot of PDI and Phase inspections I would suggest that your code skills are top notch other than that stick to knowing what to advise your clients on the day to day issues.
Larry

Larry,

I agree with your first statement, but I’m not sure why your repeating this since this is what I was alluding to in my comments. As for the rest of your reply,…you obviously have never seen the C&D course material!?

Although at times they do make some references to codes, It is NOT a code based course in anyway! It is more like a huge defect recognition course.

There are 10 modules (structure, roofing, electrical, plumbing, heating I, Heating II, A/C & heat pumps, Exterior, Interior, communication and professional practice) and each module describes how each system works in detail. Then they describe HOW to inspect each system, what to look for, tips of the trade, procedures to follow (when relevant) and then typical failure modes for each system, then how to report the issues.

I did the home based correspondence with the manuals and video tapes and thought it was for the most part excellent material.

There were assignments that had to be completed and sent in for marking. There was a mid-term exam, and final exam that had to be competed at an approved location with a proctor in the room - so no open book exams and no cheating! I wrote the tests at Algonquin college, then THEY sent the exam in to Seneca where the C&D people marked the tests. By the way I graduated with HIGH honors. :smiley:

Next time you really should take a moment to educate yourself before stating what you think is factual,… by the way,… not a good business practice either. :wink:

Oh, by the way I own several codes books, know how to read, have read them a lot and don’t mind reading them. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand them,… comes in handy when doing PDI, and phase inspections,…thanks for the info. :slight_smile:

</IMG></IMG>

Hi Craig,

I opted to do the home correspondence because you can complete it as fast as you like and I want to complete it ASAP.

I have all the books and videos and feel like I have missed nothing. Since I never did a class room session I can’t compare it to the home based modules. When ever I had some questions or concerns I had the C&D team right there to ask via email or phone. Great support I thought,… and they even told me not to bother joining OAHI,… should have listened to them! :mad:

Cheers,
CS
</IMG>

Christopher
Thanks for Confirming what every one I know who has used this system have said to me .
I have some of the modules and the only complaint I have is some times they are a little dry , but the information I got I thought was great.
I guess I have helped sell more then a few units and will do continue to tell those who ask my openions.
I do use the C&D Home Reference Book for my reporting system.
I believe more of these have been used then any other reporting system out there.
I also say a post by a home inspector who has been an expert witness in many court cases and he said " not one of those in court " has lost that was using the check list system . most loser’s where using a computer system .
I have no idea why . I tried a computer system and found for me the C7D book was the best.
Roy Cooke Sr

Unfortunatly you have learned what a lot of others have learned ( Me TOO )
“(and they even told me not to bother joining OAHI,… should have listened to them!)”
I

Hi Roy,

Your welcome. I don’t always explain myself very well through writing, so if you have any other questions feel free to contact me and I would gladly provide more detials.

As I said I think it is a good system and the videos were boring but good info. I looked around and thought that it seemed to better prepare someone for the industry. OAHI recognizes the electrical and heating courses which will allow you exemption from the madatory courses.

There are places like this out there which don’t seem as in depth…

http://www.pennfoster.edu/inspector/index.html

It’s funny, that Carson Dunlop’s own people told me not to join OAHI,… they said that there were no benefits to being a member,… then after talking to some RHI people they encouraged me to join so I did,… should have listen to the Engineers I guess!

question?

do you guys think that down the road that we must belong to oahi to practice? {in ontario}

i have never joined oahi not even as a student member,and i don’t plan on joining,but if my livelyhood is at stake , i will join.

mario

If you can read here you will see how OAHI continues to treat its membership . Rules are meant for others not the Directors of OAHI.
Join OAHI and see how they intimidate their members … The CAHPI BB was changed to CAHPI members only and they closed it down from lack of use.
The OAHI BB (CAFE) is for members and does get used very little .
The NACHI BB is open to all at 3:00AM in the morning last week it had 3 members and 33 guests on the BB. ( guess where the OAHI members come to learn what is happening in the Home Inspection industry)
If you ask the 200± RHI members of OAHI for sure yes .
If you ask the other 2300 inspectors in Ontario I would have to be nuts to be a member of an organization that cares little of their members .

How do I get 2500 HIs in Ontario . Well Bill Mullen says there are 5,000 home inspectors in Canada . and OAHI has about 50% of the members in CAHPI
So 50% of all Canadian HIs is 2,500 and we all know Bill Is always correct any doubt just ask Bill or look at his web site.
I am a Former member of OAHI and served on various Committees and not sorry I am no longer a OAHI member.

Roy Cooke sr … RHI… Royshomeinspector… CAHPI-ON…

Chris

How much did it cost and can you buy only the modules you want - ie if I wanted to only do plumbing can I buy only a plumbing module?

THX
CB

All this and more information is available on the C&D website .

http://www.carsondunlop.com/orderform/canada/itm00041.htm **Plumbing - Text and Video or CDROM **

http://www.carsondunlop.com/orderform/canada/cat72.jpg

Plumbing ModuleCDN $315.00

This module is designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills to inspect supply plumbing systems like an experienced competent home inspector.
CDN $74.95
Plumbing - Video or CDROM

This module is designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills to inspect supply plumbing systems …

Roy Cooke sr

Once the new plumbing course is put up here on the NACHI site, you’ll get all of that for nothing. Well, you won’t have your own personal CD or tape. Maybe Gerry will sell CD’s and tapes in the future.