Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Local Inspection Issues > Canadian Home Inspectors

Notices

Canadian Home Inspectors This is a place for Canadian InterNACHI inspectors and other home inspectors in Canada to discuss local home inspection topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1/22/13, 9:09 AM
Banned

Please Note: kwood is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Ontario Ministry of Consumer Services

Well thats just great now some bozo is calling his team
CERTIFIED LICENSED HOME INSPECTORS on the new leaflet at the Real Estate Office.
Licensing has not even been arranged yet so I guess you do whatever you want until the Government steps in.
On top of this he is also calling His team fully Licensed and Insured.
Need a home inspection in Nova Scotia? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Nova Scotia certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/22/13, 5:23 PM
Banned

Please Note: kwood is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Just a reminder that some of you have not registered to Ontarioachi.ca by name but by a User Name not matching your own. This is just fine but we still need all of you to fill out the full profile so we do not erase you from the MB profile files. We have some that have registered with very strange user names that we feel are not Home Inspectors or just curious about the Association and we have eliminated those without a Name, Address Association ect.
If this happens to you we can correct it but you will have to start all over again.
Thanks for your cooperation in this very important matter.
Oh yes and don't forget to vote as we only have 5 days left to return the Home Inspection Questionnaire back to Ministry of Consumer Services.
Old 1/24/13, 9:31 AM
Banned

Ok there are only 3 more days left before putting in the second set of answers to Ministry of Consumer services. The Questionnaire has been transfered from the Ontarioachi.ca site to the linkedIn one. Last chance for any imput will be today and tomorrow after that we are sending it off as it is to be returned by Jan 28 2013.
Old 1/25/13, 5:24 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Please read this and the right hand colum tells you who to send your concerns too .
I still feel the government would like to let this die .
Send in your idea immediatly please .
You can make a difference

http://www.stopthetradestax.ca/

This will effect Ontario Home Inspectors too.
Old 1/26/13, 10:20 AM
Certified Master Inspector

Send a message via Skype™ to smay

Nice post Roy! Like Roy said this will affect everyone everywhere...take the 30 seconds and vote! http://www.stopthetradestax.com/

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value!

Any information posted by me on this site should be considered as a personal opinion, belief or assumption and cannot be attributable by way of association to any other company, person or agency.

Serving: Acton, Burlington, Brampton, Cambridge, Durham, Erin, Guelph, Georgetown, Hamilton, Kitchener, Mississauga, Oakville, Waterloo
Old 1/26/13, 12:29 PM

Government control can be very expensive and our governments are looking to increase revenue.
Correct me if I am wrong but is licensing to make this industry safer for the public.
The statistic evidence to back up their wants is zero .
I think they are wrong.
Everybody know by merely looking out the window the earth is flat and everybody is wrong on that score too.
We all know the Provincial Government Ministers are proud that they do not let facts get in their way of making decisions .
We are told the license fees alone will not cover the costs .
I feel it would be good idea of those civil servants who want to control our industry to get out on a few home inspections and see for themselves how satisfied the public is with their inspections.
The people in charge just have to realise that the emperor is not wearing any clothes.
To have a small self appointed group make the decisions is foolish.
Old 1/26/13, 4:17 PM

Here's a question: what do you think will happen to licensing and the college of trades when the liberals are ousted in the next election? Are the other parties also in support of this tax grab? Hudak says no, don't know about ndp's...

WWW.CAPSTONEPROPERTY.CA
STU@CAPSTONEPROPERTY.CA
905-407-2289

It is better to be thought a fool, than to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...
Old 1/26/13, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison1 View Post
Here's a question: what do you think will happen to licensing and the college of trades when the liberals are ousted in the next election? Are the other parties also in support of this tax grab? Hudak says no, don't know about ndp's...
After the next election will be to late if passed now it will likely stay passed.

Please do not wait for next election .

We will have a new leader of the Liberals this week end .
Get your mail going to the new leader the Local MPP and the leader of the PCs .
They all will want to look good to the voters and if we can get some action great.
Doing nothing will get us nothing.
Another Homie just showed me his answer from an MPP .
Many MPPs have little idea what is going on we need to tell them NOW
Old 1/27/13, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcooke View Post
After the next election will be to late if passed now it will likely stay passed.

Please do not wait for next election .

We will have a new leader of the Liberals this week end .
Get your mail going to the new leader the Local MPP and the leader of the PCs .
They all will want to look good to the voters and if we can get some action great.
Doing nothing will get us nothing.
Another Homie just showed me his answer from an MPP .
Many MPPs have little idea what is going on we need to tell them NOW
Well here is the info for our new leader .
I do hope all make use of this INFO soon .

Constituency Office

795 Eglinton Ave East, Unit 101
Toronto
M4G 4E4
Email: kwynne.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
Phone: 416-425-6777
Fax: 416-425-0350
Old 1/27/13, 3:26 PM

Roy that link you posted is so cool.
Everyone can send the email. Just fill in your postal code and shazam your MPP's name is there.

Wow.

Cheers

Doug Cossar
InterNachi Lifetime Member
National Home Inspector NHICC00503
905-213 7739
Retired and living the dream!
Old 1/27/13, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcossar View Post
Roy that link you posted is so cool.
Everyone can send the email. Just fill in your postal code and shazam your MPP's name is there. Wow. Cheers
Great Doug thanks and I do hope few more send in their thoughts .

We get enough sending in and there is a chance some one might listen to us .
Old 1/29/13, 6:49 AM

This could be a method for the non-aligned to be heard.

What a great idea so simple I do not see why they cannot do the same thing for Ontario Home Inspectors .
This method could give all Home Inspectors a chance to give their ideas on what should be done ...
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1321162--wireless-code-of-conduct-crtc-asks-for-canadians-input .
...It is obvious this is set up and with some simple modifications we all can have a voice
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

The CRTC is soliciting public feedback on a code of conduct it hopes to introduce to help regulate the complaint-addled wireless industry.
On Monday afternoon, the CRTC released a 14-page draft of the wireless code of conduct and invited
Canadians to comment at a special website.
The draft code is still very much a work in progress and intended to encourage more discussion,” he said in the news release.

Last edited by rcooke; 1/29/13 at 9:35 AM..
Old 1/30/13, 7:09 AM

Here are my ideas and please feel free to use them in the fight.
1) Home Inspection done FIRST by owner BEFORE realtor is called to appraise the value of the home. (makes sense doesn't it?)
2) Illegal for agents to referr inspectors (conflict of interest, dispells inspectors from soft report writing to bring in revenue. Saves public)
3) Standard formula for calculating inspection prices (removes $100 inspections)
4) No Licensing. Speak to many out west and across the US, it does NOTHING to help or protect anyone. I also believe associations should not be involved as it is a conflict of interest and a revenue opportunity for them.
5) Standardized SOP. No paid exams, no designations. Just a Standard of Practice that everyone must follow or face an attorney. Simple. Effective.

It's obvious governments have no clue, so let us, as actual working home inspectors inform them.

Let the battle wage on....

PS- Thanks Roy, keep it coming!
Need a home inspection in Nova Scotia? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Nova Scotia certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/30/13, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smay View Post
Nice post Roy! Like Roy said this will affect everyone everywhere...take the 30 seconds and vote! http://www.stopthetradestax.com/
Done.
Old 1/30/13, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Here are my ideas and please feel free to use them in the fight.
1) Home Inspection done FIRST by owner BEFORE realtor is called to appraise the value of the home. (makes sense doesn't it?)
2) Illegal for agents to referr inspectors (conflict of interest, dispells inspectors from soft report writing to bring in revenue. Saves public)
3) Standard formula for calculating inspection prices (removes $100 inspections)
4) No Licensing. Speak to many out west and across the US, it does NOTHING to help or protect anyone. I also believe associations should not be involved as it is a conflict of interest and a revenue opportunity for them.
5) Standardized SOP. No paid exams, no designations. Just a Standard of Practice that everyone must follow or face an attorney. Simple. Effective.

It's obvious governments have no clue, so let us, as actual working home inspectors inform them.

hmmm..

1. If inspection is done by owner--what protects the buyer that they didn't get a "soft" inspection done by a friend of a friend?

2. illegal for agents? laws are pointless if there is no way to enforce them--there is no way to enforce this--agents refer a ton of people, not just inspectors--i'm not anti-agent referral so I can't see the sense. If you have good agents, they will respect that you will sometimes deliver bad news to protect their client..

3. standard pricing--thats fine--good luck getting Carson Dunlop or other multi inspector firm on board for that one--maybe a standard minimum pricing but again, unenforceable

4. no licensing--thats what we have right now--i'm ok with it. If licensing keeps idiots from the profession then i'm all for it. I agree associations should not have the final say--they will obviously be looking at their bottom line.

5. standardized SOP--as long is its reasonable--that's ok--I don't get the no exams part or the no designations part--if you have legitimately been tested then you deserve a legitimate designation. Why would i do 4 years of university, the entire carson dunlop training program if at the end of it, i'm lumped in with some guy who decided yesterday this job would be cool?? Also what would happen to your CMI that you paid $1,000 for? Just curious

WWW.CAPSTONEPROPERTY.CA
STU@CAPSTONEPROPERTY.CA
905-407-2289

It is better to be thought a fool, than to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...