Scare Tactics for Licensing in Ontario

Lets truly understand what is going on.

First off there is a tug of war in our industry between associations in Ontario for power and control.
You will find that some associations use scare tactics that licensing in Ontario is immentent and that you have to be with a certain association if that happens as they will be the leaders if licensing does happen.
Fear does work in people, look at the long line ups for the H1N1 flu shots.
Before going any further I will post a comment made by Bill De Vries from our CanNACHI site as he was at one of the meetings set forth by an association who is trying to push for liscencing in Ontario he says:

"We do know that the Ontario goverenment is not pushing for licensing, as stated at the last symposioum. They were very clear on that fact being made and that if the association as a whole wanted to present ideas of licensing they would be happy to look them over. It was also stated that the Ontario government was not in a position to administer or control such at this time .
During our discussion they also agreed that no one association can or would have control over the licensing and it would have to be agreed upon by all representives of said associations that have a stake in the ontario home inspector industry.
We are a long way from having this imposed or even implemented, a discovery is at best being conducted by phpio.
By not showing up you are sending a message you agree with them or do not care.
If you want your voice heard send an email and add your disapproval to this.
If you want CanNACHI to voice your concerns by proxy send an email to the BOD@cannachi.org and we can use your email as part of our collective representation on your behalf to ensure that your voice is heard for and against this.
Whether it happens or not is not the problem, the problem is WHO and WHAT will be controling our interests as a whole.
This is really the question and you as a collective industry should be concerned about the outcome.

Hope this help, just looking to make sure were all heading the same direction and want the same outcome if and when lisencing happens"

So there… If it ever does happen in Ontario Liscensing, there are associations in our province that will fight that one association will not govern over another, as stated below:
“During our discussion they also agreed that no one association can or would have control over the licensing and it would have to be agreed upon by all representives of said associations that have a stake in the ontario home inspector industry.”

“Your check is in the mail.”

“I will respect you in the morning.”

“Licensing is inevitable and you need to work with us so that we can pass a law that is good for everyone.”

Now…go wash that yucky taste from your mouth and promise never, ever to cooperate with a licensing venture again. Fight them all…until someone demonstrates a genuine need.

James
You are correct.
Its not about the people in society that want licensing, its about the associations that push it…the ones that do want to have the upper hand control of our industry.

The Eagle has landed! call the mountaintop!

“By not showing up you are sending a message you agree with them or do not care.”

I’m afraid that Bill has that wrong. If you show up, your attendance, whether you approve of licensing or not, will be construed to be supporting. Mr. Mullen and co. have already shown that they will misrepresent attendance numbers.

I hear through some persons in one of these organizations that someone is organizing a union for all Ontario home inspectors. That will change the game and the players very quickly!!

LOL…that “high enough standard”, of course, being much higher than what CAHPI requires as we have recently learned…

Or how about this - quote
Terry Carson was one of the five founding directors of OAHI. He told me earlier this week that licensing was one of the long-term objectives of the group, “an extension of our self-regulation.”

or this must be even more interesting…quote
John Winters, president of the B.C. Chamber of Commerce, is quoted in a provincial announcement as saying, “While most inspectors are dedicated professionals, under the current system they may have little or no qualification, which can create problems for legitimate real estate transactions. Requiring inspectors to be licensed provides sellers and buyers with confidence that all inspections will be carried out by a qualified professional.”

Wow…“all inspections will be carried out by a qualified professional”.

At second glance…do you see, as I do, how this statement means nothing?

Is not a person who has met any standard…NACHI, CAHPI, CMI…“qualified”? If they inspect for a living, are they not “professional”? Licensing has nothing to do with this, other than dumbing down or otherwise “standardizing” the criteria.

Pick the “qualified professional”…a 25 year home inspector who is a member of NACHI in an unlicensed state…or…a 25 year old high school graduate who has just been awarded his license to inspect homes in New York and has yet to do his first inspection.

Licensing solves nothing.

James, I think you have some valid points. Although, I would like to comment regarding your statement.

I know of inspectors in my area that have been inspecting for 15 + years. They may be the original(s) in my area, past builders, tradesmen and such. Typically, the inspectors that are the original(s) have some building component product knowledge.

Although, at times a non academic trained inspector cannot compare to an academically trained inspector. I honestly believe that a newer inspector that has a construction background and has attended academic certification and continues to aggressively continue education can provide a more technical inspection.

In my area, I have been inspecting for 2 years now. I compete against original inspector(s) of approximately 15 + years of inspecting experience. Some of these inspectors are significantly favoured by Realtor(s). Being favoured by Realtor(s), in my opinion, is never a good thing other than a steady pay cheque.

I can guarantee that since I and or other newer inspectors have entered the industry the quality of inspections has increased and essentially the market share is starting to swing.

Why would I hire an older builder that my Realtor told me to hire to inspect my home when I could hire a new generation independent, academically trained, certified, infrared inspector that has all of the bells and whistles. I have and would challenge any inspector in my area to an inspection any day. I am not saying I am the best but I am saying it is my goal.

I agree, field experience is one of the most important factors providing a quality inspection.

My vote is with the new generation not the old. I use my Macbook way more than my old Commodore 64.

Mark — You are not the only newby to advocate licensing. In fact, most newbies do. It is, as you have pointed out, an instant credential that makes you (and some consumers) believe that you are equally competent and qualified as those with 15+ years of experience.

There are up and coming young men like you in every industry who feel that your “newer and fresher” view of things make you better qualified or equally qualified to your more experienced competitors.

If it were true, Mark…you wouldn’t need the license. Think about it.

I am not sure how many times I have stated that I am not in any way endorsing licensing other than the fact that it is a requirement I must abide by. I am not sure where you come up with this speculation. I was a qualified inspector before and after the licensing. Furthermore, I would’nt classify myself as a newby.

I can tell you, that my inspections take longer are more technical and provide infrared thermal imaging. No other inspector in my area has infrared technology.

The only experience I lack is making the Realtors happy time and time again. That is an experience my company is not interested in.

What do you think Mr. Winters would say if he read the judgement against MR. Toth a certified CAHPI member and fully licenced by BC government.
I’ve known several presidents of the C of C some were very knowledgeable about housing some new nothing. What does Mr. Winters know?

Allan the Realtors also want licencing. They want it so they can reduce their responsibility.
The Alberta Safety Codes Act forbids owners selling property that does not meet all the building codes in effect in Alberta. This act also exempts “agents from any responsibility” for listing and selling the property. The Alberta Building Code also exempts Agents from any responsibility for the ABC.
They expect the same exemption in any act licencing inspectors.

So true Vern,
Realtors do control the process of home inspector selection and as they do refer their clients to us they do not want to take the liability on either.

The only way that licensing helps anyone, is in terms of the pocket book of the licensing agency.

People can make all the arguments they wish to support it, but the simple fact is that a license, granted by anyone, isn’t going to improve inspections. It will make it harder for people to break into the market, but like a door lock only stops honest people, that will only stop the people who wouldn’t want to do a bad inspection in the first place. The scammers and fly-by-night operators will just see it as another hoop to jump through.

How many licensed construction contractors do ****ty jobs? How many licensed doctors get sued for malpractice, how many licensed real estate agents are there that would be better off being a house plant waterer?

Licensing solves zero issues in the industry that gets licensed.

As to whether it will happen? Of course it will, at some point. It is happening in every industry. There was a time when anyone could be a lumberjack, just by buying a chainsaw and cutting down trees. Now, you have to have a license for running a chainsaw (in a logging operation)… Has it made the industry any safer? In my view, all it has done is exclude the people who don’t get that piece of paper. It hasn’t made the ones who got the paper any smarter or less likely to do something stupid.

It has however, made a whole bunch of people and organizations a lot of money.

And the money, is the reason that licensing will come to this industry as all others, eventually.

The way to put that day off as long as possible is simply for each person who is doing home inspections is to do the best job they can each and every time they go out. Each stage of the process from presenting your image to the public, dealing with clients, the inspection itself, the report on it, and a commitment to helping the client understand the report must all be top notch.

Even if 100% of home inspectors adhered to that though, licensing will eventually be a reality.

Totally agree! Very good post.

If they want to refer their buddies then they should take responsibility for them. By being held responsible they may be more inclined to refer competent HI’s. If they are not held responsible what incentive is there not to refer soft inspectors.
I do not refer any individual renovators, contractors, or any other trades people because I do not want to assume any responsibility for their actions.
When the need arises for a CCTV inspection I hire the guy collect the fee and pay the CCTV. Since the SOP forbids doing any repairs on inspected property I do not get involved in those things. I expect the same from others involved in the transaction.
Am I asking too much?

Vern
You are not asking to much
Agents do infact have a lot of pull in our industry, its up to us the home inspectors to educate clients on the process of agent/inspector referal.
Sad to say that many agents do like soft reports, thats why they pre-screen the inspectors they refer.
Agents one thing and one thing only that they care about, can you guess???
Its the commission
$$$$$$$$$$$
That is why some are so scared to hire a compitant home inspector who does find defects in a home. In a perfect world RE Agents and Home Inspectors should work far away from each other as possible LOL.
Who has the most vested interest in clients during a RE transaction is their Lawyer, maybe the Lawyers should work hand in hand with us if licensing takes place, then fearful home inspectors who get much of their work based on soft reports finally inspect the way they should.
Licensing in BC has not stopped agent/inspector referals and for sure soft reports are being written, there will always be the money driven inspectors and agents no matter how the industry changes

You’re right Allen. The worst part is that the so called ‘industry leaders’ are trying to lead us down the garden path arm in arm with that same Real Estate industry. Just look at who is at the head table for tomorrows ‘symposium’. Worse still is the unfortunate truth that there are no facts, studies, surveys or figures to prove the damaging claim that there is a huge problem with we inspectors. It is a sham aimed at enriching the few at the expense of the many.