Should classroom courses for home inspectors in Canada be outlawed?

… in favor of online education?

http://www.nachi.org/classroomsharm.htm

Nick…You are too smart of a man to start falling for your own hyperbole.

Nothing replaces classroom training where an instructor is present to address specific questions or clarify points, where inspectors can interface with other inspectors and listen to their questions/answers from perspectives and experiences that they have not had…or sometimes even thought of.

Three inspectors shooting the breeze during a smoke break will transfer more valuable information in fifteen minutes than you could put into an hour of video.

Video courses are nice supplements…but will never replace real education.

You could go as far as to tape a live presentation from a live classroom lecture, and it will still be lacking from the value of actually being there — for the viewer will not have the opportunity to stop the instructor on a point…or share in discussion to clarify.

A video is little more than a pamphlet that talks to me instead of requiring me to read it.

I am forced to agree with James:D

For the inexperienced or under trained , more is learned in the hallway and at lunch than in the class.

I do however think the addition of a chat feature or some method of getting answers to individual and specific questions would go a long way in making online education a viable alternative.

Well then, you won’t like my next article:

Should Blackboard and Chalk Manufacturers be Forced to Shut Down and their Owners Imprisoned?

:stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Yes. Off with their heads. Power Point is the future, and the future is now.:smiley:

Jim writes:

I agree. Too bad no one has come up with a way to integrate videos into online courses that include instantly graded quizzes, and exams with built-in intelligence that requires the student to read and confirm understanding as he/she goes through it.

Hm. I wonder who in the heck is about to release that technology? :smiley:

ASHI?

That would be nifty and cool and stuff, but would still not come close to replacing live classroom training.

From what I have heard of Jerry’s classes and what I have experienced from Joe’s ---- people leave the class with more than just “information”. They leave with the tools necessary to do the job.

One major difference is that you can’t ask a question and get a direct answer.

Agreed. But…that’s where this message board steps up to the plate. 24/7/365…

Sure it can. It’s called on the job training. I learned WAY more with my CMI out in the field than I did those 50 hrs in the classroom. To be honest I would of rather of paid the $650 it cost me to a experienced field pro then to someone who teaches only the basics within the classroom. I was floored when I found out we would not be going out to inspect a real home. Your going to give me a license after sitting in a classroom for a week and passing a test. What a joke!

Bill

Yes. Illinois will, and yes…it is a joke.

But the discussion here is comparing video courses to actual classroom courses. Even you will agree, Bill, that a video is much less than a classroom experience.

Billy,

The premise of eliminating a classroom is ridiculous. For this to be a legitimate argument, one would need to examine ALL educatonal venues. For instance, it would need to apply to elementary, secondary, and collegiate education.

Nick is writing this to be provocative. I suspect that an educator with pedigree in this arena may be in favor of on-line offerings in some instances but would never see the validity on any argument that attempts to validate a notion and implies that classroom training is somehow harmful.

Instead of all this jazz, why doesnt InterNACHI challenge the NHIE on its merits as a psychometrically valid exam. If what NACHI has been saying for years is true, exposing this alleged hoax, then informing the states that specify a phychometrically valid exam be used for HI Licensing should be informed. At that point, the NHIE would no longer be valid for the purposes of licensing. It would put the state of licensing in turmoil, and rightfully so.

IMO, InterNACHI should be putting its resources in that direction, as opposed to trying to outlaw classroom training.

Is this to say that InterNACHI will son no longer recognize classrom training, in favor of something else?

OK. I admit it. I like the NHIE for licensing. It is a low bar, minimum standard, everyone-passes exam that is used by many states to license students fresh out of school.

The bottom, minumum standard licensing rung is ASHI’s full membership top rung (yes folks, they use the NHIE, minimum standard exam as their full membership requirement… I swear, I’m not making this up).

Consumers shoudn’t trust their home purchase to bare minimum licensed inspectors anymore than they should trust their 15 year old daughter to a 16 year old boy, recently licensed to operate a motorcycle.

InterNACHI is the near top of the ladder: www.nachi.org/rigorous2006.htm

Let’s see…you like the NHIE, although it is bad for consumers, because it makes ASHI standards appear to be low…

And you want to outlaw classroom instruction to protect the consumer.

Your inconsistency and insincerity leads me to immediately believe that John McCain, indeed, did not pick the worst possible candidate for VP.:wink:

Joe,

I don’t think it should be eliminated. I feel it should be combined with required on the job training. You simply can’t learn to be a HI in a week. Impossible. Without field training classroom training is worthless IMO. The way it stands now it’s a joke. You might as well just eliminate it because your only harming consumers by putting uneducated people out on the streets with a license. Simply giving someone the right to inspect a home after a week of training and after passing a test is crazy. There’s a big difference between reading a book and memorizing compared to actually viewing defects and having them explained to you live on the scene. Doesn’t compare. I feel NACHI could drastically increase their membership database if they actually shot live video or pictures demonstrating each question on thier 2500 practice questions. That would be almost as good as being in the field.

Bill

I like the NHIE because states that adopt it can’t then go about saying that licensing means something. NHIE makes state licensing little more than registration. Everyone can register (get a license).

InterNACHI handles the rest (that states don’t involve themselves with): www.nachi.org/success.htm

State licensing boards who adopt the minimum standard NHIE as the only measure of competence have a duty to inform consumers that licensing means next to nothing… and it does.

Consumers beware, being licensed is like being up to code, so horrible that if you did anything less it would be outright illegal. Finding a good inspector isn’t hard: www.nachi.org/blind.htm

And what are those class disruptor’s going to do? Every class has them…

Regardless, I still prefer the classroom environment especially if it results in having a beer and shooting the breeze with some friends afterward…

I have attended both Joe Farsetta’s course and John McKenna’s course as well as have been to college, I have also done the distance learning thing. If I can afford it and schedule it I favor a classroom experience as there are plenty of things a good instructor can convey by relating a real world experience that they have had that you don’t really get from online or distance training. I also have to agree that you learn just as much in the hallways and after class drinks as you do in class.

Should hallway discussion with beer or wine be required education for all home inspectors?

http://www.nachi.org/images06/torontointernachi_039.jpg :wink:

I’ll drink to that!