Most Unusual Things I Have Come Across Inspecting

Most Unusual Things I Have Come Across Inspecting
Plumbing. Waste Water.

Location; Basement.
2" Gray water back float valve.

Terracotta gray water drain pipe supplying/dispersing gray water into a catch water basin located in the basement of a 1960 home located near a river.

The concrete catch water basin had a back ‘float’ valve.
The valve consisted of a rubber ball mounted inside a cast iron pipe with a steel rod attached at the top of the rubber ball.

The ball valve is held in position with a brass collar affixed to a cast iron waste pipe, I suspect.
The protruding steel rod was affixed/attached with screws atop the rubber ball, encompassed by a steel spring acting as a counterweight support so the ball could move in a vertical position atop flowing water.

Very common for basement drains.

backflow_preventer2.jpg

Plumbing. Waste Water.
Terracotta gray water drain pipe supplying/dispersing gray water into a catch water basin located in the basement of a 1960 home located near a river are common?
I must be mistaken.

Do you have any images to share like mine, or anything unusual for Canadian residential buildings?

Best.
Robert

Ingenuity, is the mother of invention, along with Frank Zappa;)

Early 1960’s residential home with Masonry solid fuel fired fireplace, with site manufactured heat exchanger, and tubes run to the forced air supply duct/trunk.
Large jpeg files.

Ingenuity, is the mother of invention, along with Frank Zappa;)

Early 1960’s residential home with Masonry solid fuel fired fireplace, with site manufactured heat exchanger, and tubes run the the forced air supply duct/trunk.
Large jpeg files.