Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Local Inspection Issues > Canadian Home Inspectors

Notices

Canadian Home Inspectors This is a place for Canadian InterNACHI inspectors and other home inspectors in Canada to discuss local home inspection topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3/14/12, 6:49 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Re: Unusual Things I have found

We have about 60~ ,50~ in Ontario teaching people how to become Home Inspectors .
Can some one tell me how all these people are going to find work.
I wonder how many are getting paid to do these courses ?
I wonder how many are spending what little money they have to do these courses .
---------------------------------------------------------
-http://www.carsondunlop.com/home-inspection-training/colleges-and-universities/-------
Carson Dunlop

Carson Dunlop Contact an education consultant

call 800-268-7070 Ext 251

email education@carsondunlop.com

Home > Home Inspection Training > Colleges and Universities

Home Inspection Training

About the ProgramCourse OutlinesColleges and UniversitiesProgram FAQsHome Inspection ProfessionThe Home Inspection ChallengeTools to Help You SucceedTestimonials

Colleges and Universities

The colleges and universities below offer the program in classroom, distance education formats, or both.
  • Algonquin College
  • Ashton College
  • Bow Valley College
  • Cambrian College
  • Canadore College
  • Centennial College
  • Conestoga College
  • Confederation College
  • Dalhousie University, NS
  • Douglas College
  • Durham College
  • Fanshawe College
  • Georgian College
  • Humber College
  • Lambton College
  • Loyalist College
  • Mohawk College
  • Niagara College
  • Norquest College
  • North Island College
  • Northern College
  • Seneca College
  • Sheridan College
  • Southern Alberta
    Institute of Technology (S.A.I.T)
  • South East Regional College
  • St. Clair College
  • St. Lawrence College
  • Sir Sanford Fleming
The Program is also available through the following Academy of Learning locations.
  • Abbotsford
  • Barrie
  • Belleville
  • Brampton
  • Brandon
  • Calgary
  • Chatham
  • Cornwall
  • Cranbrook
  • Edmonton
  • Hamilton
  • Kamloops
  • Kelowna
  • Kingston
  • Langley
  • Nanaimo
  • Newmarket
  • Owen Sound
  • Prince George
  • Richmond
  • Richmond Hill
  • Saskatoon
  • Selkirk
  • Surrey
  • Thunder Bay
  • Toronto – Albion and Islington
  • Toronto – Bay and Bloor
  • Toronto – Lawrence
  • Toronto – Warden and Sheppard
  • Ottawa
  • Vancouver
  • Windsor
  • Winnipeg
  • Victoria
join our email list for news and information

Email
Need a home inspection in British Columbia? Check out InterNACHI's listing of British Columbia certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/16/12, 2:14 PM

More Insulation for the attic with the help from the Birds .
Not an approved condensate hook up to the sanitary .
For those who have never seen the brick that is not a brick
http://www.eureka4you.com/home/SidingInsul.htm .
I do not like Humidifiers ,not needed our area seldom cleaned great place for bacteria to grow and they can shorten the life of the furnace .
I do hope you too wear a mask Bat dung is deadly and many other things some times found in the attic are not nice .
Attached Thumbnails
unusual-things-have-found-100_0264.jpg   unusual-things-have-found-100_0614.jpg   unusual-things-have-found-100_6433.jpg   unusual-things-have-found-100_6215.jpg   unusual-things-have-found-100_9605.jpg  

Old 3/20/12, 8:58 AM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! This has more info then you can read in a day . It has many leads ...
FYI...

http://www.healthyheating.com/water-...efficiency.htm

Enjoy... Roy
Old 3/24/12, 1:30 PM

#1 ...I wonder how strong these trusses are .
#2....A 20 year old home Looks like they could not remember where they left the test plug .
#3 ... Moose like kids pools .
#4... They saved some Plywood on this home .
#5 ... Moose really likes the kids pool.
Attached Thumbnails
unusual-things-have-found-fire.jpg   unusual-things-have-found-img_3757.jpg   unusual-things-have-found-moose-1.jpg   unusual-things-have-found-no-sheating.jpg   unusual-things-have-found-moose-2.jpg  

Old 3/24/12, 1:36 PM
Certified Master Inspector

I thought the moose was a statue until I got to the last picture.

Greg Mathias, CCHI
Journeyman Carpenter
Level I Thermographer
Global Property Inspections
(780)205-9912
Old 3/24/12, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmathias1 View Post
I thought the moose was a statue until I got to the last picture.
I printed both of and laminated them Back to Back and carried them in my Tote bag .
I some times show the client the first picture and they like you think it was a statue until I turned it over .
This frequently opened up shy people and broke the ice
and made for many a happy inspection.
Old 3/24/12, 1:52 PM

Thats a great idea Roy. I have a few pictures of defects I keep in a folder marked "be thankfull this is not your house". People love the pictures.

Greg Mathias, CCHI
Journeyman Carpenter
Level I Thermographer
(780)205-9912
Old 3/28/12, 9:01 AM

At the end of the "Blues" show there are tabs to several other videos , one is a complete "T-bird" show, looks like maybe at Luke, don't miss.

This is as good as it gets

HOT HD VIDEO : Blue Angels (New)

Gotta admit they are GOOD.

Blue Angels (New)

This is really good.
Did you know that the pilot on the right of the formation is always a Marine
This is one of the best Blue Angel videos you'll see!! Great perspective with much of it filmed from the cockpit.
You see the formation then see it from the pilot or camera view. It is in HD; Hope your computer can handle it.
This was recorded in FL. And El Centro , CA

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=W6tB8Lf7YoU

Old 3/30/12, 8:10 PM

Is Judge Judy A Real Court? Top 3 'Secrets' Of TV Judge Shows

Publication Date:
Mar 16 2012

If you want to sue someone but don't want a long, drawn-out court battle, there's another legal channel to turn to: Take your case to "Judge Judy."
But is "Judge Judy" for real? As the announcer says at the beginning of each episode, "The cases are real. The people are real. The rulings are final." In reality, though, it's a bit more complicated.
Here are some behind-the-bench "secrets" of "Judge Judy" and other TV judge shows that you may not have known:
1. The cases are real -- but the proceeding is an arbitration.
Though Judge Judith Sheindlin once presided in a New York courtroom, her role on TV is technically that of an arbitrator, The Consumerist website reports. This goes for other TV judges as well.
An arbitration involves submitting a dispute to an impartial person for a final, binding decision. It's supposed to be a cheaper, quicker way to resolve disputes than going to court.
Both parties to a case must agree to arbitrate their claims, and must also sign off on the rules of the arbitration. But keep in mind that in general, arbitration awards cannot be appealed.
2. The people are real -- but they don't have to pay.
In general, "Judge Judy" and other TV judge shows handle cases that would otherwise be heard in small-claims court. That limits the amount of money at issue in a dispute; for "Judge Judy" litigants, the maximum award is $5,000, according to eHow.com.
Do you ever wonder why people would put themselves through the apparent humiliation of appearing on these shows?
Regardless of the outcomes on "Judge Judy," both parties to a case emerge as winners.
That's because the show pays for the arbitration award, along with the litigants' airfare and hotel expenses. For most "Judge Judy" litigants, that adds up to a free trip to Los Angeles.
3. The rulings are final -- but some have been overturned.
As a general rule, arbitration awards cannot be appealed. But there have been a few cases in which TV judge rulings have been overturned, The New York Times reports.
For example, a New York family court in 1999 overruled part of a "Judge Judy" decision because it went beyond the scope of the arbitration, the New York Law Journal reports. The parties in that case had agreed to arbitrate a dispute over personal property -- but Judge Judy's ruling also granted child custody and visitation rights.
From an article by Andrew Chow, JD
Related Resources:
Old 4/3/12, 2:33 PM

http://lifestyle.sympatico.ca/living...world/8243a188

Canadians among the happiest in the world

by Sarah Robinson
Canadians' signature friendliness could be because we're one of the happiest countries in the world, according to a new United Nations survey.

The World Happiness Report is the UN's first global happiness report, commissioned for their Conference on Happiness.

Canada ranked fifth on the list, but the top four happiest countries are dominated by northern Europe. Denmark, Finland, Norway and the Netherlands took top spots, in that order.

But Canucks outranked the United States and United Kingdom by a long shot. The U.S. took the 11th spot, while the UK placed 18th.

The five least-happy countries are all in Sub-Saharan Africa: Burundi, Sierra Leone, Central African Republic, Benin and Togo ranked last.

"Happiness research is sometimes seen as having a ‘giggle factor,' too frivolous for serious study," the study said. The case for taking happiness seriously is in the belief "that it provides a broader range of possible ways to build a better world, including more effective solutions for poverty, illness and war."

Not surprisingly, the report found that richer countries tended to be happier countries. But money doesn't quite buy happiness altogether – some countries with reported higher living standards did not show a rise in happiness, like the United States. Political freedom, strong social networks and an absence of corruption were found to be more important than income.

In fact, mental health is "the biggest single factor affecting happiness in any country," according to the report.

The findings for professional happiness revealed the same pattern: typically-desirable perks like flexible hours and high salaries actually contributed less to job satisfaction than job security and good relationships did.

Women are generally happier than men in advanced countries, but there was no consistent pattern for poorer countries. Overall, happiness was reported to be the lowest in middle age.

Are you truly happy to be living in Canada?
Old 4/3/12, 4:35 PM
InterNACHI Member

I know Canada is the happiest country I have lived in. UK, Mexico and the States are all much less happy places to live in. Despite growing up in the UK, the moment I cross that border into Canada I know I am home, and I feel extremely happy to be back.

I'm sure we will get flack from some of the americans about this, but they didn't do so bad on the list either, 11th isn't bad.

when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law.
Winston Churchill
Old 4/3/12, 6:56 PM

From what I have seen Canadian's are defiantly the most polite also .
Old 4/6/12, 11:36 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to smay

Checking the main panel and what no censorship! Okay not great but made me laugh!

Attachment 54234

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value!

Any information posted by me on this site should be considered as a personal opinion, belief or assumption and cannot be attributable by way of association to any other company, person or agency.

Serving: Acton, Burlington, Brampton, Cambridge, Durham, Erin, Guelph, Georgetown, Hamilton, Kitchener, Mississauga, Oakville, Waterloo

Last edited by smay; 9/15/13 at 12:28 PM..
Need a home inspection in British Columbia? Check out InterNACHI's listing of British Columbia certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 4/6/12, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smay View Post
Checking the main panel and what no censorship! Okay not great but made me laugh!

Attachment 54234
Too Funny Scott.

Greg Mathias, CCHI
Journeyman Carpenter
Level I Thermographer
(780)205-9912
Old 4/26/12, 7:15 AM

http://realestate.yourmoney.ca/2012/...-whistler.html

Whistler, B.C. carpenter's secret treehouse at risk

http://youtu.be/6ONLyd2gmV8

For the past three years, 31-year old Joel Allen has kept a secret – a secret that was just too delicious to keep any longer. Using his own money and scraps he collected off of Craigslist, the former software developer turned carpenter built a secret egg-shaped tree house in the heart of Whistler, B.C. The only problem is, it wasn’t built on his land – it belongs to the Crown. Better known as HemLoft, the orb currently hangs from a precipitous slope in a stand of towering hemlocks, but is at risk of being removed altogether. Dwell, a popular design magazine featured the unique building in a recent issue; since then the story has gone viral, which may put his not-quite-legal project at risk.
The story
At the young age of 26, Joel Allen thought he could retire, but his plan failed miserably and he found himself penniless and near desperate. It was around this time that he met a friend and kindred spirit in an aging hippie by the name of Old Man John. Old Man John’s home, a beautiful cabin in the woods he’d built himself, and his lifestyle, were something that Allen realized he was longing for as well. “This is when I realized that I’d rather be looking through the window of a cool building, than the window of an LCD laptop,” says Allen in his blog.
It was then that Allen realized he wanted to try his hand at carpentry. His first project, funded by his parents, was a shed that was an exact replica of their house. After that, using the shed as a sample of his work (Allen has no formal education in the trades), Allen got a job as a carpenter, where at last he began his real training. At the time, he was living out of his car to save on rent.
It was around this time that Allen started dreaming of having his own little loft in the woods, an idea that utterly absorbed him. Unimpressed with most treehouses, he did some research and talked to friends, some who were recent graduates of architecture school. He wanted something that looked more elegant. Over the next few weeks, they tossed around ideas, until one friend suggested an egg-shaped house. Allen drew up the plans, and then tested the theory by creating a quarter-size scaled down model. The success of the model left him left him convinced that a larger version could work.
Next, Allen searched the backwoods of Whistler – an area in which he’d always loved spending time – for the perfect tree to house his egg-shaped home. Turned out that the perfect tree was situated in a place he’d been many times – overlooking a cluster of multi-million dollar homes.
HemLoft has been in existence for 3 years now, and until recently, only a select few knew about it, including Allen’s girlfriend. A recent article in Dwell, a U.S. design magazine, has changed that, though. Since its publication, the story has gone viral, putting Allen’s dream home in jeopardy.
"I started to wonder about the fate of the HemLoft,” says Allen in his blog. “Would people find it? What would happen if they found it? I had two options: I could rent a pit bull and a shotgun and neurotically circle the premises for the next 10 years of my life, OR... I could just not care, and welcome whatever curious prospectors wander in my direction."
In the end, Allen’s chosen to let fate decide, although he’s still asking his blog readers for their opinions as well. He has invested some $6,500, and countless hours of blood, sweat and tears in this project, making his worry completely understandable.
“It took a lot of work to build it, and I’d rather not take it down, just yet,” he writes in his blog. “So I’ve been thinking of ways to expose the HemLoft, while somehow making it legal. To the best of my knowledge, squatting on Whistler Mountain, beneath some of Western Canada’s most luxurious mega-homes would not be looked favourably upon.”
Allen leaves readers with a few ideas and asks them to vote. His final words read: “Given my predicament (read above), what do you think I should I do with the HemLoft?”
1. Play it safe, and take it down
2. Make a fun geo-caching game out of it
3. Make it a public camp site (involves legal hoops)
4. Try to buy the land the tree is on (about nine square feet)
What do you think he should do?