Update of Smoke Alarms

Are you aware of the most recent requirements for new build regarding smoke alarms?
http://codecompliance.ca/2015/01/01/smoke-alarm-requirements-for-new-construction/

Dont worry we’ll all be dead before it goes into effect :wink:

“effective January 1, 2105.”

Thanks Claude.

Good info Thanks Claude

Looks like in BC, I have to buy the Fire Code book to find out:

http://www.bccodes.ca/fire-code.aspx?vid=QPLEGALEZE:bccodes_2012_view

I just went through this process on our cottage build…a bit excessive but I see the need for incorporating the strobe for the hearing impaired. I have 3 smokies within 10 ft of each other a bit much and not cheap!

Cherry Picking can get you into all sorts of problems.

Here’s the start of that section:

3.2.4. Fire Alarm and Detection Systems
3.2.4.1. Determination of Requirement for a Fire Alarm System
** (1) **Reserved
** (2) **Except as permitted by Sentences (3) to (5) and Sentence 3.2.4.2.(4), a fire alarm system shall be installed in a building that contains,
(a) a contained use area,
(b) an impeded egress zone,
© more than 3 storeys, including storeys below the first storey,
(d) a total occupant load more than 300, other than in open air seating areas,
(e) an occupant load more than 150 above or below the first storey, other than in open air seating areas,
(f) a school, college or child care facility, with an occupant load more than 40,
(g) a licensed beverage establishment or a restaurant, with an occupant load more than 150,
(h) a medium hazard industrial occupancy or a low hazard industrial occupancy with an occupant load more than 75 above or below the first storey,
(i) a residential occupancy with sleeping accommodation for more than 10 persons,
(j) a high hazard industrial occupancy with an occupant load more than 25,
(k) an occupant load more than 300 below an open air seating area,
(l) an interconnected floor space required to conform to Articles 3.2.8.3. to 3.2.8.11,
(m) a care and treatment occupancy for more than 10 persons receiving care or treatment, or
(n) a care occupancy for more than 10 persons receiving care.

I don’t see this code applying to single family residences where sleeping occupancy is less than 10. Am I missing something?

New homes and renovations only!

As I recently found out from my local AHJ, the OBC code changes don’t affect a home unless a permit is required for changes to the area that affect the components altered as part of the permit.

While fire protection is sensible, and the codes in this area are tight, it appears that local planning departments are allowing renovators and “flippers” to get away without making adequate changes to ensure homes are safe.

You can quote codes all you like, but it won’t stop a Realtor calling an unsafe Basement bedroom a legal basement bedroom, not while the local AHJ allows it.

As for my concerns, I’m still awaiting the judgement of the local fire-prevention officer. I’ll update you all of his findings.

So all new homes now have home offices (aka dens) in the basement. (Just kidding - how do you explain the futon?) Perhaps for an afternoon nap!

BTW - I brought this topic up after looking at new townhouses a few week-ends ago. Along with the new and improved PEX fittings that were also installed. Just keeping up with changes…

Cheers…