We just arranged an infrared camera workshop for the Toronto Convention.

I’m really pleased about it. www.nachi.org/convention2007.htm

Thanks Nick.

Nick…
With all the interest in Infrared cameras It sounds like your missing some big bucks.
When are you going to create an online quiz to certify nacho Thermographers???:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: </IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

Actually Dan, Will Decker already has a course in the works with NACHI that will, like all the others, be approved by the state where your association is headquartered.

As usual, we are way ahead of you.

Nick… I meant something with value… not some information from some one that just purchased a camera 3 or 4 months ago and posted other peoples photos and marketing information on his web site to make it appear to the public that he is qualified …
Typical nachi BS… buy a tool, use infomation from professionals websites in the business to make it appear that you know something, take a quiz and bingo, your certified and qualified to teach everybody else what you don’t know or have a clue about :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

Dan your the only tool here.

Dan

Your so negative about everything NACHI. I hope your not this way in your personal life!
</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

Dan, If you don’t like NACHI why keep comming here & posting your crap. We’re big boys. If we don’t like something we’re bright enough to figure it out with out your help. Doug

I guess in his defence, when a person takes a workshop, does that make him a pro, or does he just know a little more then before he took the workshop.

Knowing Will I would say if he is not a pro he sure is closer then 99.9% of every one else in NACHI . Yes I would call him a pro.in more then just camera work .
I call my self a Profesional Home Inspector ,.
I also feel on my first inspection I was a Professional Home Inspector.
Roy Cooke

Doug… I’m just trying to answer the question nick ask me a couple weeks ago… “Dan when are you going to join nachi?”

The fact is I did 4 or 5 years ago and realized that 90% of what nick claimed never existed or came thru for the members. After getting that question I figured what the heck I’ll attempt to rethink joining if it can help me or our profession…To date I’ve asked a few questions with no answer…

"Why do inspectors that pass the nhie not have to take nicks on line quiz since to him his quiz is superior to the nhie? No answer!

Nick claims that nachi gets millions of hits a month, my question was how many of those hits were directed to me as a nachi member on the find an inspector site ?? No answer!

"Why is it mostly only nachi vendor that belong to both ashi and nachi only post their affiliation with ashi on their websites? No answer!

Why is it when you go to other hi bbs if some one mentions nachi there is never anything positive posted about nachi by experienced inspectors??

As an inspector that uses several hundred flyers a month marketing to the new home owners , one nachi benefit nick claimed] that would help me is discounted marketing materials that nick claimed were coming from the printing company that he purchased? No answer!

As a newer inspector, I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know 1/2 of most experienced inspectors know, the one thing that I’ve learned over the years is that if I’m going to get correct and factual information it is important that the information I get to provide my customer a more informed product I need to get that from some one thats been there done that opposed to some new kid on the block thats impressed nick and trys to impress other inspectors with a new toy and now claims to be the expert and qualified to teach that to other inspectors.

It’s not the workshop or education level or experience level that makes a “pro”, IMO.

A “professional” is one who does something for pay. A professional ball player versus a college ball player, etc.

Being “professional” is an attitude…conveying pride and “professionalism” in how you handle your clientele.

Our profession allows for a wide scope of qualifications. Some were contractors and builders who started swinging a hammer and never sat in a classroom…but who know their stuff…and become inspectors of the homes they used to build. Some had fathers who were home inspectors and followed in their footsteps, never having any “hands on” building experience. Others learned the job from books or classes.

It is hard to imagine this, with the numbers of members being as high as they are, but most home inspectors belong to none of the associations. They quietly make their living doing their thing by word of mouth advertising and sound reputation.

The need and opportunity to keep up with the latest technology (and the latest discoveries of weaknesses in old technology) require us all to keep our noses “in the books”…but there is no one single way of distinguishing the good from the bad - other than the market.

The market will thresh out the good from the bad and the “professional” will continue to be paid for his work. Others will not.

No offense to Will’s good intentions to help his fellow inspectors, but a course on the proper use of an infrared camera should only be taught by a professional thermographer.

Erol

If Will is qualified why not teach? Do you know that the cost of taking a course like this is a couple of thousand$ here in Canada.And the people that sell you the camera for $10K sell you the course.I talked to one inspector and he said that he paid $18,000.00 for camera and course.

Mario,

I agree. But this is not like teaching ladder safety. One of the biggest mistakes a new camera owner makes is wrongful interpretation of data and the reporting of such. When viewing the home exterior with an infrared camera, there are many inspectors that think that a certain color represents moisture intrusion. Quite often this is true but sometimes it will be from reflections, past or current weather conditions and other possibilities. If the students will leave the planned class with a firm understanding of what the benefits of having a camera are and how to correctly interpret data then it sounds like a winner.

Erol

I guess it can’t hurt to take it [Wills course] and other courses.I’m planning on purchasing a camera during the Toronto Convention,the course will be interesting. I will wait and see what the vender’s are offering.

amen

Hi Mario,

I’m all for the cool gadget and will be using it myself very soon. Just to be on the safe side I may fork over the extortion - I mean tuition to learn more.

I just remembered that Will is a ‘scientifically minded dude’ who probably know’s quite a bit about the topic.

Erol

“Extortion” I like that. Not far from the truth.

For my manufacturer of choice…

1. Training is $1500 for 3 days - if you feel you need it. I do. :wink:

2. Camera has one ‘standard’ lense. Optional wide angled lense is $3300 extra.

3. Calibration if needed $1,000.

God forbid you lose your carrying case because they go for a slim $450.

This is for a better than average camera. No magic wand here.

It’s a great tool but obvioulsy a very expensive investment. I actually split the cost with another inspector/friend in my area that I’ve known for 20+ years.

Watch for prices to drop since the heat is on. No pun intended.