Florida mold assessments

Hey if your in Florida. A IAC2 cert does not allow you to do mold inspections and assessments or sampling.

Just a heads up as I have found too many nachi certified inspectors today offering mold inspections without a mold assessor license.

Hello Adam. I’m in Georgia. I have my bachelors of science in biology and have done 2 years research microbiologist and fully able to analyze air samples, but I am looking for a standard to become a mold assessor. I know remediators who would need post-remediation assesments, but I’d like guidance in how to properly handle these assessments.

What exactly am I assessing in the case of coming in to verify whether a remediation was done correctly? Is this option left to the assessor? Any helpful resources/contacts would be greatly appreciated, sir.

Thank you

I retract my previous statement.:neutral:

So for a post remediation clearance testing Im going to visually inspect the areas that got torn out and make sure there is no indication of growth or discoloration. If it is still under containment, making sure they built it correctly and there is not infiltration.
But most importantly we want to look at the aerobiology of the environment. So I will take air samples inside and outside of the remediation zone. And the spore count of the indoor samples should be at outside level or lower. If the levels are above they the clearance fails and they need to continue remediation or do some more air scrubbing.

If you have any more questions feel free to email me at
adamsindoorenvironmental@yahoo.com

Adam Snell, CIE
FL Licensed Mold Assessor MRSA2360
ACAC Council Certified Indoor Environmentalist
NADCA Certified VSMR
Clearwater Florida
727 550-7640
http://adamsenvironmental.wix.com/adamsenvironmental

Are you just comparing the inside containment air with the outside of the containment inside the building?
If so what standard allows that?

Your statements are incorrect.
You are licensed, you should know the law.
Home inspectors may offer, perform & advertise for mold inspections & sampling.

According to a declaratory statement by G. W. Harrell, Florida DBPR Director, on March 28, 2013, a Florida-licensed home inspector:

• **“may inspect, sample, and identify visible mold, assuming the visible mold discovered during the home inspection is less 10 square feet in area,” and **
  • “is allowed to advertise mold testing, sampling, and inspections within the scope of licensure as a home inspector, so long as he/she does not use the terms ‘certified mold assessor,’ ‘registered mold assessor,’ ‘licensed mold assessor,’ ‘mold assessor,’ ‘professional mold assessor,’ or any combination thereof stating or implying licensure as a mold assessor.”

Join InterNachi!

Adam, you don’t know what you are talking about.

Thanks Marc.

1 Like

Even though there is an exemption, I choose to continue my assessor’s license.

The required $1,000,000 E& O insurance isn’t cheap.
The carriers do not separate it from home inspection coverage,
thus I have it on everything including pool/spa, WDO, WindMit, referring party.
$1500 deductible.

I have my G&L and E&O insurance through OREP I carry a 1mil limit. I just passed the state approved Mold Assessor’s test. OERP coverage caps the sub-limit of insurance for Mold Coverage to 100k. According to the Florida DDPR ;

• INSURANCE: Applicants for a Mold Assessor license are required to attest that they have obtained general liability and errors and omissions insurance for both preliminary and post remediation mold assessment in the amount of no less than $1 million dollars as determined by statute.

Can anyone steer me to an insurer that is reasonable and provides the required coverage?

1 Like