IAQ Certified

IAQ industry like any science based business is always changing. I thought this news was worth paying attention to for those involved with mold / IAQ assessments. Several states are considering new laws that will directly affect the mold investigation business, wether this ANSI approved standard will have an impact has yet to be seen. Just thought I would bring this to everyones attention.
Article in Indoor Environment Connections newspaper for IAQ industry, April 2009
“Are we really certified?”
“The National organization for Competency Assurance (NOCA) has published a new standard for the development and delivery of “assessment-based certificate programs”. Standard 1100, published in September 2008 and recently submitted for ANSI accreditation, carefully distinguishes these programs from professional certifications and explains key differences between the two”.
Links to some info on the Standard 1100
http://theamericanacademyofpersonaltraining.blogspot.com/2009/03/hello-everyone-i-wanted-to-share-this.html
“info@noca.org
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
NOCA 1100 - STANDARD FOR ASSESSMENT-BASED CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS RECEIVES APPROVAL AS AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARD
WASHINGTON, DC (March 26, 2009) - The National Organization for Competency Assurance (NOCA) announced today that its recently published NOCA 1100 - Standard for Assessment-Based Certificate Programs (2009) received approval as an American National Standard by the American National Standard Institute (ANSI) Board of Standards Review.”
http://www.iaqcouncil.org/forms/otherpdfs/NOCA%20Article%203-09.pdf
“Many holders of private, IAQ-related credentials may be surprised to learn that according to one of the premier standards setting bodies in the industry, their credentials are not actually certifications.

The National Organization for Competency Assurance (NOCA) has published a new standard for the development and delivery of “assessment-based certificate programs.” Standard 1100, published in September 2008 and recently submitted for ANSI accreditation, carefully distinguishes these programs from professional certifications and explains key differences between the two.

The standard clarifies an important point of confusion that has plagued the IAQ industry for years, causing considerable friction between competing industry certification programs. “

Personally, I think someone has to set a standard on these things. There has been a gross misuse of terms and acronyms in the IAQ industry for years. Take for example the title Industrial Hygienist. Anyone can put that under their name (without this Standard) because the ABIH (nor anyone else) legally owns the title. The ABIH explains on their site how important it is for consumers to understand who is a ABIH ‘certified Industrial Hygienist’ and who is juts a practicing industrial hygienist. How many consumers know this? In contrast, your credentials (and mine) as a CIEC are legally owned (by the American Indoor Air Quality Council) so misuse is less frequent, but done. As some one that has worked hard to meet the strict criteria for earning my designations (and they are more than a quick three-day crash course and printed certificate of completion) hope that this does help reduce the misuse of professional titles by others who aren’t willing to apply themselves to their practice.

The EPA has radon standards (that the states who have radon licensing have all adopted).

The IAC2 has the Standard of Practice for Mold Inspections http://www.iac2.org/sop.php but IAC2 is not so easy to join (although membership in IAC2 is free). As a basic requirement you have to be a member in good standing with InterNACHI which requires www.nachi.org/rigorous2006.htm and then on top of that you have to take a course in whatever you want IAC2 certification in (radon or mold) www.iac2.org

I am a proud member of several IAQ organizations, IAC2 is one of them.
My post was to provide information many may not be aware of.
Up to date info is key in our business, this message board is proof of that.
Anyone who reads this message board benefits.

we have the weekend off- gone fishin

Is there other education out there that you could recommend that might supplement the IAC2 program that I am also proud to be a member of. (internet classes).
Programs that are a bit more bullet-proof against lawyers and others that believe unless your a Industrial Hygienist you can’t possibly be qualified.
swessler

I would also like to know the best certification class to take. Which organization or class does interNACHI recommend?

Recommended courses at the top of: http://www.nachi.org/green.htm

I think NOCA came up with some goofy thing that said the testing had to be administered by a different organization than the one that provided the education. Me, InterNACHI, MIT, Harvard, Yale, the public school systems throughout the world, every major university, my 3rd grade teacher, the military, etc… all disagree with NOCA on that one.

Is there other education out there that you could recommend that might supplement the IAC2 program that I am also proud to be a member of. (internet classes).
Programs that are a bit more bullet-proof against lawyers and others that believe unless your a Industrial Hygienist you can’t possibly be qualified.
swessler

Indoor Environmental Consulting and Investigation
· Council-certified Indoor Environmentalist (CIE) - 2 years experience required
Microbial Consulting and Investigation
· Council-certified Microbial Investigator (CMI) - 2 years experience required

If you go to court, these two are good.
My partner John Cosgrove provides expert witness testimony, he is a CIE.
The CMI designation is new, a couple of years ago. This is going to be the one for mold in the future it appears.
The CIE deals with all indoor air quality issues.
Good classes, on line too: http://store.indoorsciences.com/](http://store.indoorsciences.com/)
You don’t need to take a class but it may help you pass the test.
Experience, … need 4 jobs you did for mold I think
Takes a couple of months to get certification, test, application, board approval etc.
Call the AMIAC, they are very helpful. http://www.iaqcouncil.org/certification/becomecertified.htm

Certifications are a personal thing as far as I’m concerned; get those you feel comfortable with.
I like to cover my butt as they say.

Doug Wall

It depends on what you want to do. It is simple and easy for most home inspectors to become perfectly qualified to perform radon and mold inspections.

BTW, Industrial hygienists are UNqualified to perform mold inspections, unless they are home inspectors. Industrial hygienists simply don’t know enough about ventilation, moisture, plumbing leaks, roof leaks, gutters, downspouts, HVAC, insulation, condensation, grading, stucco, flashing, vapor barriers, building science, sump pumps, etc… to look at a mold problem holistically… which is what is needed.

That is why InterNACHI membership is a prerequisite of IAC2 membership.

If you want to know how to perform a proper mold inspection, take Ben and Dr. Shane’s online video course: http://www.nachi.org/videomoldcourse.htm

It depends on what you want to do. It is simple and easy for most home inspectors to become perfectly qualified to perform radon and mold inspections.

If and when the new Florida law becomes effective, they must have really messed up. No requirements to be a home inspector for mold assessment license. Does the Texas law require mold inspectors to be home inspectors? I do agree it is helpful to have home inspector training. We plan on adding some new inspectors for mold and we will require them to take home inspector training too.
What we know of the new law so far:

Florida State Licensed Home Inspector
Minimum time to become licensed
3 to 4 weeks
Requirements:

• **120 hours of approved training **
  • **Pass a state test **
  • **NO experience **
  • **$300,000 Liability **

Companies providing [FONT=Arial]Home Inspection services must be certified by the FL DBPR.[/FONT]
Continuing Education Classes Required

· Extensive approved training
· Pass a state test
· 4 years experience
· Minimum $1 million Liability & E&O insurance

(1 year of experience with specific College degrees)
Companies providing Mold Inspection services must be certified by the FL Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
Continuing Education Classes Required

Life is good in South Florida, 5 pm and I’m heading home

Being qualified and being licensed (legal) are two very different things. Everyone has to be legal.

When you perform a mold test, your clients don’t ask you questions about biological science, they ask you questions about building science.

They want to know what is causing the mold, where the water is coming from, and how to stop it.

Industrial hygienists are perfectly capable of performing mold testing, but not mold inspections. For mold inspections, an IAC2member (home inspector) is required.

Also, it probably doesn’t do you much good being associated with the AIAQC as they are a pretty sleazy group.

You will note that in the link you provided ( http://www.iaqcouncil.org/forms/applications/cmiapplication.pdf ) they have a big CMI on that page with a big TM mark. This despite them knowing very well that their “CMI” trademark application and their “Certified Microbial Investigator” tradmeark application were both abandoned years ago. Read http://www.certifiedmasterinspector.org/cmi/aiaqc.html

So not only do they infringe on the MICB’s legitimate mark http://www.certifiedmasterinspector.org/cmi/cease.html but they violate the law by using the TM symbol in pretending to have OUR (MICB’s) trademark!

The American Indoor Air Quality Council is a scumbag group… thieves.

And if NOCA’s requirements are so lax that they granted AIAQC some sort of approval to sell* our* professional designation, what does that say about NOCA’s assessment process? Not much IMHO.

I never knew or cared about a trademark; enjoyed learning more about them. I value having a American National Standards Institute (ANSI) approved certification though. But like I said get the certifications you are happy with.

There are so many CMI trademarks, seems the mark is good for what is listed in the application.
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4010%3Aa6tpu4.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl%7E%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=CMI&p_tagrepl%7E%3A=PARA2%24COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

A **trademark **is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or a combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others.
Any time you claim rights in a mark, you may use the “TM” (trademark) or “SM” (service mark) designation to alert the public to your claim, regardless of whether you have filed an application with the USPTO. However, you may use the federal registration symbol “®” only after the USPTO actually registers a mark, and not while an application is pending. Also, you may use the registration symbol with the mark only on or in connection with the goods and/or services listed in the federal trademark registration.

Cease and Desist letter
Why hasn’t InterNACHI stopped the AmIAQC from using the designation CMI? Seems they should if covers the same service.

TGIF going fishin

Nope. You can’t use CMI if someone in the inspection industry already has it trademarked… and we do.

Let me explain. You can open up “Doug’s Apple Cider” but you can’t open up “Doug’s Apple Computers” because there already exists an Apple Computer company in the computer industry, and they have a trademark. A mark protects itself and the space around it (deceptively similar).

I heard AIAQC was going to open up a car company called “Generation Motors (GM)” and a computer company called “Internal Business Machines (IBM)” and a fast food company called “Kentucky Fresh Chicken (KFC).” LOL!

You see my point. Putting a TM next to some other entity’s mark doesn’t make it yours.

The Master Inspector Certification Board was awarded the mark. AIAQC abandoned their applications. Yet AIAQC violates the law and commits fraud by putting a big TM symbol next to our mark (as if it where theirs) on the link you provided. They don’t have a trademark, and they certainly don’t have ours. AIAQC are thieves.

Gromicko,

I don’t know you personally, but I don’t think very highly of someone that talks about someone else behind their back. Unless you know the professionals providing the service you should restrain from calling everyone within an association names. I know several NACHI “certified professionals” that do very poor work or call me when they feel like they are over their head in mold, water, or other pollutants on an inspection. I know several NACHI “certified Professaionals” that have a very poor reputation in the industry because of their lack of ethics, knowledge and experience. It wouldn’t be fair of me to label everyone with the NACHI based on that would it? I wouldn’t dream of doing so!

As someone that has spent seventeen years in inspection, consultation, repairs and emergency work in five states and for various private, public, industrial, non-industrial and governmental establishments, someone who has been thoroughly educated and extensively tested through experience, a person that established his business on my Christian principles, I find it offensive that you would be so quick to label me, along with anyone you may have had a bad word or disagreement with, as “sleazy” because I happen to be a Council-certified Indoor Environmental Consultant and Council-certified Microbial Remediation Supervisor. (That without rementioning the work I’ve done for some NACHI members in my area.)

To move on… like the NOCA Standard or not, without superceding regulations, they are the legally-binding standard of care that defines the definition between a “certificate” and a “certification”. How that was extrapolated toward the use of acronyms and the American Indoor Air Quality Council (AmIAQ) I don’t know and don’t care. But the fact is what it is - the Standard is on the topic of what it is -

The Council has said repeatedly (as I think you’ve pointed out) that they don’t have a trademark on the CMI. They don’t want it. They think it is “worthless”. I do too. If the title behind the trademark is weak then so is the trademark. That is not to judge your trademarks, understand, but to clarify the reality behind trademarks in our industry today.

As Mr. Wall said, “get the certifications you are happy with”. You have to evaluate the designations out there and strive to attain those that fit your goals as a professional. That isn’t for me to judge or you to judge. There is no reason we can’t work together to improve the industry for us, our Clients and the rest of the world. In fact, together there is a lot more we can accomplish than without. (And that cooperation is exactly what I’ve been successful in doing with the NACHI members in my area and am greatful to have them as business networking friends.)

According to ANSI’s certification process, IAC2 is accredited by them too. Also IAC2 does not illegally use a trademark. So IAC2 wins!:wink:

LOL!